Covid-19 Wuhan Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Part 5 - Get vaccinated.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infec...d-19-vaccination-case-surveillance-051121.pdf

In the peak fortnight of the outbreak to date (25 August to 7 September), the COVID-19 case rate among 2-dose vaccinated people was 49.5 per 100,000 while in unvaccinated people it was 561 per 100,000, a more than 10-fold difference. The rates of COVID-19 ICU admissions or deaths peaked in the fortnight 8 September to 21 September at 0.9 per 100,000 in 2-dose vaccinated people compared to 15.6 per 100,000 in unvaccinated people, a greater than 16-fold difference.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
To be fair regarding the wrongness of most people, there's been a definitional alteration and blurring of viruses and their corresponding disease.

When you've got the media breathlessly reporting to generate clicks, they're not exactly going to check the proper language with the science and medical community first.

When you've got the media breathlessly reporting to generate clicks, they're not exactly going to check the proper language with the science and medical community first.
It's not just the media - the official reported numbers have seen a changed definition. Only China has kept to traditional definitions and have not included asymptomatic as covid cases and reported them separately. I think the change was the right way to go, but it hasn't really been explained very well to a society that view the viruses and diseases as the same thing and viewed vaccines as offering a shield from the virus.

vaccines as offering a shield from the virus.
They do to a small extent though. Think the stats showed that. But to my layman's brain, that might be just keeping the viral load to such a low level as to be undetectable.

They do to a small extent though. Think the stats showed that. But to my layman's brain, that might be just keeping the viral load to such a low level as to be undetectable.
Vaccines cant reduce instances of the virus entering your body and attempting to replicate and spread within your body. Just as many vaccinated have this occur as unvaxed.

The stats showed that with the older strains that the vaccines dramatically reduced the likelihood of the virus spreading enough to be detected by a PCR test - minor reduction of this with Omicron.

Basically we've seen a layman's definitional change whereby you have the disease when you have detectable amounts of the virus in your system, rather than when you get sick, which was always the marker in the past when we weren't as good at detecting the virus and didn't routinely test asymptomatic people either.

The difference between HIV and Aids is widely known, but it's the same with the viruses that cause illness much more quickly, which is less well known.

Last edited:

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
From midnight this morning, the masks are gone in South Australia, required only in settings like public transport, hospitals and nursing homes (from July last year they had been required in all public indoor places).

About time. You won't catch me wearing one unless I have to.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
From midnight this morning, the masks are gone in South Australia, required only in settings like public transport, hospitals and nursing homes (from July last year they had been required in all public indoor places).

About time. You won't catch me wearing one unless I have to.
I wore one to the chemist when I had a virus, but otherwise agree. I see no use for them when you're well, and generally people should stay home when sick.

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wore one to the chemist when I had a virus, but otherwise agree. I see no use for them when you're well, and generally people should stay home when sick.
I was all for masks and lockdowns when vaccination rates were low, and the omicron variant had not emerged, and there was a realistic chance of keeping the virus out. But now that most of us are triple-vaccinated, the latest variants are milder, and there is no hope of stopping it, masks and lockdowns are ideas whose time has come and gone. That's enough. I'm not covering up my face forever.

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
I was all for masks and lockdowns when vaccination rates were low, and the omicron variant had not emerged, and there was a realistic chance of keeping the virus out. But now that most of us are triple-vaccinated, the latest variants are milder, and there is no hope of stopping it, masks and lockdowns are ideas whose time has come and gone. That's enough. I'm not covering up my face forever.
Yeah RJ, there comes a time when it does break you down, not to mention getting fed up with the inability to communicate really effectively wearing a mask.

But they do work at what they're meant to do, so let's never confuse ourselves with the nuffies who denied their effectiveness when they were really needed.

Good luck with the new freedoms mate (says me who contracted the fecker last weekend and has been doing the iso/mask/sook trifecta for nearly a week now).

A guy i work with continued to wear his mask after everyone else stopped.
Guess who went on leave and had to stay an extra week before he could come back to work?

Mind you masks are more likely to stop you spreading the Virus you already have , and don't know yet, than stopping you from catching it .
So if we had a system that relied on people giving a crap, those who gave a crap would probably still catch it, while those who don't give a crap are less likely.

NicNat2TimKelly

Senior List
Oct 17, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
NicNat2TimKelly I take it you subscribe to the conspiracy theory that SARS-Cov-2 is some sort of genetically engineered virus that escaped from a lab?

I don't subscribe to any conspiracy theories. Just view my post as ironical, much like your 'Custom Title' (Chugging Adrenochrome) and 'Location' (Gates' Payroll).

I don't subscribe to any conspiracy theories. Just view my post as ironical, much like your 'Custom Title' (Chugging Adrenochrome) and 'Location' (Gates' Payroll).
You seem to post a lot of "ironical" garbage.

Can't blame anyone for viewing you as a bit of a kook.

NicNat2TimKelly

Senior List
Oct 17, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Can't blame anyone for viewing you as a bit of a kook.

Coming from someone with zombie lover, fantasy football, Beancoin and Dr Who badges, forgive me if your opinion (for the moment) doesn't ooze any gravitas. Willing to discuss where you think the virus originated from and why if you want to get back on track though.

Coming from someone with zombie lover, fantasy football, Beancoin and Dr Who badges, forgive me if your opinion (for the moment) doesn't ooze any gravitas.
All you need to know is I hold the fate of the world in my hands.

Willing to discuss where you think the virus originated from and why if you want to get back on track though.
It's been done. Have a read back through the threads or hope someone else will have that dead end conversation with you.

Geelong_Bisons_#36

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Inverleigh Hawks
This is misinformation.
Very interesting stats coming out of the UK.
You are approx twice as likely to either catch covid or end up in hospital from covid if you are triple vaccinated as opposed to being single,double or unvaccinated.
And shockingly 3 times more likely to die if you're triple vaccinated.

You are approx twice as likely to either catch covid or end up in hospital from covid if you are triple vaccinated as opposed to being single,double or unvaccinated.
Yawn this is probably misunderstood statistics again post the link please

Geelong_Bisons_#36

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Inverleigh Hawks
Yawn this is probably misunderstood statistics again post the link please
Don't have time right now to find the link but it was something like these stats:
Approx 32 million have had 3 doses
And approx 31 million either 0,1 or 2 doses.
So about a 50/50 split (or near enough)
Cases are twice as many in the triple dosed bracket as all the other 3 combined. Same with hospitalisation, and for deaths, 3 times more dying in the triple dosed than the 0,1 or 2 combined.
Can't refute those stats.
Yawn.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
There is no excuse for this kind of deliberate dissemination of disinformation.
At the top of every single page of this thread, is the explanation that destroys your argument.

What a load of crap.

Don't have time right now to find the link but it was something like these stats:
Cases are twice as many in the triple dosed bracket as all the other 3 combined. Same with hospitalisation, and for deaths, 3 times more dying in the triple dosed than the 0,1 or 2 combined.
Yawn.

I agree , it seems to be very time consuming to find anything of the sort by googling. But maybe google is a shill, i might need to use duckduck.

Meanwhile i find plenty of things like this.

Yawn.
So no link then
cool

here is link from UK government re vaccination effectiveness, last updated 13/4/2022

Back