Science/Environment Wuhan Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Pandemic Declared

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's amusing to see some woke Australians claim that this country is racist because trade in Chinatowns around the country is down.

increases slowing down again, back to mid-2000's

Coronavirus Cases:

ACTIVE CASES
Currently Infected Patients
46,306 (81%) in Mild Condition
11,075 (19%) Serious or Critical

CLOSED CASES
Cases which had an outcome:
8,193 (84%) Recovered / Discharged
1,526 (16%) Deaths

increases slowing down again, back to mid-2000's

Coronavirus Cases:

ACTIVE CASES
Currently Infected Patients
46,306 (81%) in Mild Condition
11,075 (19%) Serious or Critical

CLOSED CASES
Cases which had an outcome:
8,193 (84%) Recovered / Discharged
1,526 (16%) Deaths

so 3% of 19% in serious condition recover? 16%

If you're not mathematically minded you probably won't see the implication.
The only numbers I'm interested in are 36.24.36
Unless I'm one of them, to me there's little difference in 170 being killed by the virus or 270.
I thought the world's population was growing exponentially, but in not so many years the world's population will be declining.
Then there are implication to words like pandemic, epidemic, which I'm also not wise about.
But apart from maths and English, I'm OK.
Due to my lack of understanding of things, I'd probably agree with pessimistic and douglyzia but their comments may (or may not) entirely completely contradict one another.
Politicians love people like me to get their vote because we believe what they say in election campaigns, but really have no idea what they're talking about.
Whether or not I should be allowed to say anything or express an opinion on any subject could be a moot point.

last week of january, i voted amongst the majority, in an online poll, to halt all incoming flights from china.
the final flights from china to australia were february 1st, meaning that for the last of those to enter AU, their imposed 14day quarantine has now officially ended.
reasonably swift action by our govt, not so for my household, as luck would have it, our guest managed to return from china on feb1st, but has most compliantly self isolated in his room. however, me being personally responsible for preparing all his meals, cleaning up, precautionary disinfecting of surfaces etc, i'v had minimal contact, but some, so also self isolated from the outside world for the 14day period, your welcome.
there are no signs or symptoms at mine, but the past two weeks were far from stress free.
having followed reports on the novel coronavirus fastidiously during this period, i have formed some ideation that, at the time of any earlier influx of carriers (dec/jan) the intense AU heat we were experiencing, would likely not have been conducive to survival of the virus, in particular, were it airborne or transferred to surfaces by infected persons.
with the past fortnight's weather having been pleasantly cooler, further, current information indicating incubation periods from as little as 3-24days, plus some carriers having shown to be asymptomatic, i am wondering if only14 days quarantine is realistic, and i have concern that random cases may now begin to surface here.
cheers to those who have made light during the early stages of a frightening viral situation the world is still learning about, and to the others who'v advised we should stockup. fortunately, i was reasonably well stocked up, but my dog ran out of meaty rings around 4days ago, and has eaten whatever on hand since that time :/ i can now revisit the supermarket in hope that the chinese community have not yet emptied the shelves and mailed my needs to their families in china.
:|

imho

Last edited:
last week of january, i voted amongst the majority, in an online poll, to halt all incoming flights from china.
the final flights from china to australia were february 1st, meaning that for the last of those to enter AU, their imposed 14day quarantine has now officially ended.
reasonably swift action by our govt, not so for my household, as luck would have it, our guest managed to return from china on feb1st, but has most compliantly self isolated in his room. however, me being personally responsible for preparing all his meals, cleaning up, precautionary disinfecting of surfaces etc, i'v had minimal contact, but some, so also self isolated from the outside world for the 14day period, your welcome.
there are no signs or symptoms at mine, but the past two weeks were far from stress free.
having followed reports on the novel coronavirus fastidiously during this period, i have formed some ideation that, at the time of any earlier influx of carriers (dec/jan) the intense AU heat we were experiencing, would likely not have been conducive to survival of the virus, in particular, were it airborne or transferred to surfaces by infected persons.
with the past fortnight's weather having been pleasantly cooler, further, current information indicating incubation periods from as little as 3-24days, plus some carriers having shown to be asymptomatic, i am wondering if only14 days quarantine is realistic, and i have concern that random cases may now begin to surface here.
cheers to those who have made light during the early stages of a frightening viral situation the world is still learning about, and to the others who'v advised we should stockup. fortunately, i was reasonably well stocked up, but my dog ran out of meaty rings around 4days ago, and has eaten whatever on hand since that time :/ i can now revisit the supermarket in hope that the chinese community have not yet emptied the shelves and mailed my needs to their families in china.

"self isolated from the outside world for the 14day period, your welcome"

On behalf of I suspect most, if not all. Thank you.
I
am no Dr but it seems if you haven't got it in 14days you are pretty safe

I have watched a few of the earlier vids you posted.
(It seems you might speak or read Chinese?)
Did the one with the furious lady in the crematorium strike you as being "fair dinkum" ie A more realistic gauge of the extent of the problem?

What if anything can your "guest" advise about the degree of panic or extent of problem from visiting China?

PS Next time (hopefully not) but for your dogs sake, internet shopping pay credit card and ask them to home deliver and leave on front doorstep.

Conversation at work today, most thought the employee shouldn't even have to use sick leave
We have a co worker who is self isolating; suggested she fake respiratory symptoms just to get the test but apparently if she tests negative the isolation needs to be completed anyway (concern that virus can be present but Viral load at time of test too low)

North Korea has reported no cases of the virus, but relief groups say it is woefully unprepared to deal with an outbreak.
Why would there be an outbreak in a country where nobody crosses the border in either direction.
I'm not familiar with your posts (unlike you, mine), so I can't say where exactly you lean on the political scale.

I will say, to clarify my point, that you can't have it both ways. You can't say that China aggressively manhandling their citizens for (allegedly) having a virus, proves that said virus is deadly and virulent, while, at the same time, being critical of them for being aggressive against those who practice Islam, unless you agree that Islam is just as virulent as Covid-19.

So, which is it? Is Islam just as deadly as this virus, or is Covid-19 not as deadly as many are desperate to believe (for whatever reason, maybe the same reason they want to believe the world will end in 12 years due to climate change)?

Final Point/Summary: Anyone who criticized China for taking a sledgehammer approach to Islam/Uyghurs, and yet believe the social media videos/images of Chinese citizens being violently aggressed against as proof of how deadly this virus is, well, fu** you. Try to stay consistent, idiots.
In answer to the first, smuggling. Cross border to bring Chinese goods (better than NK goods) with some coronavirus risks...

In answer to second; all it shows is that the Chinese government believes that the Islamic beliefs are virulent. Recall they did similar to Falun Gong too. The difference between coronavirus action and Islam action is one (coronavirus) can be more easily quantified objectively as risk.

Apologies for accidental multi quote

I think it's important to distinguish being racist against Chinese people and having concerns about a one-party police state and an unneccessary live market where this whole world issue appears to have originated. If you want to prevent outbreaks, don't mess around with dirty wild animals and don't try to gag people alerting others about a new disease.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In answer to the first, smuggling. Cross border to bring Chinese goods (better than NK goods) with some coronavirus risks...

In answer to second; all it shows is that the Chinese government believes that the Islamic beliefs are virulent. Recall they did similar to Falun Gong too. The difference between coronavirus action and Islam action is one (coronavirus) can be more easily quantified objectively as risk.

Apologies for accidental multi quote

yawn. China declared war on starlings once or something like that. But go ahead hold them as supreme moral arbiters

"self isolated from the outside world for the 14day period, your welcome"

On behalf of I suspect most, if not all. Thank you.
I
am no Dr but it seems if you haven't got it in 14days you are pretty safe

I have watched a few of the earlier vids you posted.
(It seems you might speak or read Chinese?)
Did the one with the furious lady in the crematorium strike you as being "fair dinkum" ie A more realistic gauge of the extent of the problem?

What if anything can your "guest" advise about the degree of panic or extent of problem from visiting China?

PS Next time (hopefully not) but for your dogs sake, internet shopping pay credit card and ask them to home deliver and leave on front doorstep.

i don't transact on line, but it was coming close to the point of me ordering my very first ever home delivery.

other than hello&goodbye, am not chinese speaking, i'm reliant on the subtitles, have no understanding whatsoever of the language, and frankly, have no desire nor the years left in me to learn it, but must admit to being fascinated by their writing.

"the furious lady" heard at the crematorium was a bloke, imho ... had a quiet chuckle at "secretary of s**t!!!" which could have been hilarious if not for it being such a revolting situation to be in.
i do believe it's fair dinkum, taken into consideration that this is VERY early days — the crematorium worker said there was an initial 'little abnormal rise' in deaths on 10th jan, but from 22/23jan there had been 4-5x the usual amount of deceased, figures finally divulged to whomever guised as a government official, and according to a more recent report, that imposter is now MiA.

i am coaching english to under18 guest who can advise jack on the situation. i taught the name 'novel coronavirus', and just as we'd got that sorted, it was changed to covid19. he is aware there's a serious situation in his homeland. i spoke of my concerns regarding spread of the virus having heard reports of the millions who fled wuhan at the mention of a lockdown ; although not from wuhan, he said he knew that happened, because many people had arrived in his city.
guess i'm just sensitive about matters.
am glad the isolation period is done, however just hope it was long enough for the general population.

imho

I may be completely wrong about this, but (with the onset of the northern summer and the way viruses often vanish) I suspect that the COVID-19 coronavirus epidemic will be almost over by July, and there will be no cases in the year 2021. This speculation will either make me look like Nostradamus or an optimistic idiot.

yawn. China declared war on starlings once or something like that. But go ahead hold them as supreme moral arbiters
Did I say that they were? More giving a refutation of the point that “If you believe that China detaining coronavirus suspects good and detaining muslims bad then you are hypocrite”

I may be completely wrong about this, but (with the onset of the northern summer and the way viruses often vanish) I suspect that the COVID-19 coronavirus epidemic will be almost over by July, and there will be no cases in the year 2021. This speculation will either make me look like Nostradamus or an optimistic idiot.
That sounds fair enough to me and I don't think you're racist at all for stating the bleeding obvious that a lot of disease stems from China.
I think it's the way 'food' is 'prepared'.

(with the onset of the southern winter and the way viruses often appear)...
as nostradamus, when do you foresee a peak?

when does AU next receive flights from china?
and will the date be again revised?
or will economics bust open the novel coronavirus dam?

imho

Did I say that they were? More giving a refutation of the point that “If you believe that China detaining coronavirus suspects good and detaining muslims bad then you are hypocrite”

you twoare so far into this argument the rest of us are having trouble seeing who has the longest bow

North Korea has reported no cases of the virus, but relief groups say it is woefully unprepared to deal with an outbreak.
Why would there be an outbreak in a country where nobody crosses the border in either direction.

Plenty of cross-border trade between China and North Korea.

The only numbers I'm interested in are 36.24.36
Unless I'm one of them, to me there's little difference in 170 being killed by the virus or 270.
I thought the world's population was growing exponentially, but in not so many years the world's population will be declining.
Then there are implication to words like pandemic, epidemic, which I'm also not wise about.
But apart from maths and English, I'm OK.
Due to my lack of understanding of things, I'd probably agree with pessimistic and douglyzia but their comments may (or may not) entirely completely contradict one another.
Politicians love people like me to get their vote because we believe what they say in election campaigns, but really have no idea what they're talking about.
Whether or not I should be allowed to say anything or express an opinion on any subject could be a moot point.
I wasn't having a go at you, but I can see how my reply came off as a bit wanky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back