Science/Environment Wuhan Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Pandemic Declared

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt said medical authorities believed the virus had been contained in Australia and was slowing globally.”

Famous last words. Subtext from around the world suggests we’re losing the battle. “Be prepared” is coming up a lot.

Do you understand that we might want to read the articles you are referring to?

yeah, I wouldnt waste my time

some Italian towns in lockdown

5c version: researchers in the US created a lab-version of a bat coronavirus that could transmit to humans called SHC014.

(pulls on tinfoil hat)
1. Americans give virus to Canadians
2. Canadians allow Chinese researchers to steal directions on how to make it then fire them
3. Chinese duplicate virus in their labs
4. Americans release virus next to Chinese lab
5. Profit!

5c version: researchers in the US created a lab-version of a bat coronavirus that could transmit to humans called SHC014.

(pulls on tinfoil hat)
1. Americans give virus to Canadians
2. Canadians allow Chinese researchers to steal directions on how to make it then fire them
3. Chinese duplicate virus in their labs
4. Americans release virus next to Chinese lab
5. Profit!

FWIW

Coronavirus: US says Russia behind disinformation campaign

Regardless of whatever your general position is on vaccines, do you really want to take a vaccine that permanently changes your DNA?

The CEPI coalition has three vaccines for coronavirus in development around the world (with the hope that at least one works). Two of them, being developed by pharmaceutical companies working with CEPI, Inovio and Moderna, are of a type known as “DNA” vaccines….

One key thing the CEPI coalition is doing differently is to not use the virus in making a vaccine. In a new outbreak, getting a live sample of a virus takes too long. Instead, they are using its genetic code, which can be obtained as soon as an outbreak starts.

Scientists analyse a virusʼs genetic code and identify a section that contains the blueprint for a small part of the virus. If you inject that DNA into human cells, the human cells will read it and start printing off small parts of the virus.Your immune system spots these virus fragments and makes antibodies to kill them – giving you immunity.

More on the theory of an accidental leak at the Wuhan biolab

Don’t buy China’s story: The coronavirus may have leaked from a lab

I liked this part:

Add to this China’s history of similar incidents. Even the deadly SARS virus has escaped — twice — from the Beijing lab where it was — and probably is — being used in experiments. Both “man-made” epidemics were quickly contained, but neither would have happened at all if proper safety precautions had been taken.

And then there is this little-known fact: Some Chinese researchers are in the habit of selling their laboratory animals to street vendors after they have finished experimenting on them.

You heard me right.

Instead of properly disposing of infected animals by cremation, as the law requires, they sell them on the side to make a little extra cash. Or, in some cases, a lot of extra cash. One Beijing researcher, now in jail, made a million dollars selling his monkeys and rats on the live animal market, where they eventually wound up in someone’s stomach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The WHO has really covered itself in glory on this one. What a disgrace.

And China has told some porky pies.

Who ever would have thought. Shocked to be sitting here.

Meanwhile, ScottyFromBeijing has said, "Let em in guys, there's no problem here".

Last edited:
So brother in law ....... hope you enjoyed those cheap laughs you got over Xmas re my doomsday prepping

We'll see who's laughing soon DH

Still plenty of hyperbolic, armageddon type calls being thrown around, but it's not a death sentence.

Fair to say that fluffy is officially off the chain, though!

I think our(and the world's) economy is going to be the biggest loser here.

Does anyone’s workplace have contingencies plans in place for if/when there are widespread quarantine periods/lockdowns in Australia?

I work in a large contact centre which could relatively easily transition a large portion of its workforce to remote working from home for a short period at least, something they’ve promoted during my tenure and in which approx. 5% of workers already do. But, as of yet I’ve heard nothing resembling a contingency plan if/when this virus hits Australian shores in significant numbers. I’ve thought about bringing this up with my boss to discuss with higher ups for a few weeks now but have been reluctant to do so for fear of being seen as a kook.

But, developments in Iran, South Korea and Japan in the past few days show just how quickly Coronavirus can takeoff once its got a foothold. Just seems a large number of institutions, organisations and corporations across this country are unaware and unprepared of the ramifications for if Coronavirus hits our shores similarly to what Iran, South Korea and Japan are experiencing.

Does anyone’s workplace have contingencies plans in place for if/when there are widespread quarantine periods/lockdowns in Australia?

I raised this question on returning to work 14/1. The official line is the HR notices which regurgitate official federal government advice. However I've received a quiet nod from my manager to do what I think is best concerning working from home.

China deploys 40 incinerators to Wuhan amid fears of coronavirus death toll 'cover up'

Chinese media reports that the mobile furnaces – used for burning animal carcasses and medical waste – have been shipped to the centre of the Covid-19 outbreak

Chinese media reports that the furnaces have been shipped to the city amid ongoing fears the death toll is being covered up.

Sources quoted in Chinese media raise questions over whether or not the incinerators are for animals, or will be used to dispose of human remains.

A conference in India people from work were attending got cancelled by the Indian government. Had the Indians not taken action I’d imagine they would have all gone.
Ive had 4 conferences I was supposed to attend cancelled in the past 4 weeks. One in shanghai. One in hong kong. One in delhi and another in singapore. I did go to one in washington and also attend a meeting in london though. 9 flight cancellations/ changes in a month. Its been nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back