WWE Aussie tour '16

Remove this Banner Ad

And not even the full card - I get cutting the D-Von/Batista tag match as Batista was basically on training wheels at the time, but one of the best matches on the night - Kurt Angle vs. Test also got cut, yet the epic encounter that was Rico vs. Rikishi was preserved for future generations to enjoy.

If my memory serves me, during the Angle-Test match they stuffed up the spot where Angle runs up the corner and does the throw. Of course the Rico vs Rikishi match was included, Stephanie was involved.

I find it hard to pay for these Australian shows after being to Wrestlemania.
I'll only go now if I get slipped some freebies.

Rod Laver is a horrible arena to watch wrestling in, you are way too far away from the action with no screen to help.

Margaret Court is much better, as you feel a part of it, even right up the back.

The NXT show was great last year, but I don't think it's entirely fair to compare them.

If my memory serves me, during the Angle-Test match they stuffed up the spot where Angle runs up the corner and does the throw. Of course the Rico vs Rikishi match was included, Stephanie was involved.

Or more likely to do with the fact that despite Kurt Angle being a heel on Smackdown both before and after the Global Warning show, he played a face for the night to the live crowd.

I find it hard to pay for these Australian shows after being to Wrestlemania.
I'll only go now if I get slipped some freebies.

Rod Laver is a horrible arena to watch wrestling in, you are way too far away from the action with no screen to help.

Margaret Court is much better, as you feel a part of it, even right up the back.

The NXT show was great last year, but I don't think it's entirely fair to compare them.

agree, TV taping or GTFO

If it makes you feel better I still think it's complete bullshit.

tenor.gif

Won't be a Wrestlemania. It'll be like a survivor series.

It will be either a network special, or Hell In A Cell/TLC/No Mercy type PPV. These usually occur in October, which is the week after the AFL Grand Final. Survivor Series is traditionally a November PPV.

Leaning more towards the special though.

I don't think it'll be a big pay per view either. Hopefully once they do this though the WWE will see and understand how great our stadium can/could be to host a Wrestlemania in the future. If they want records, which that's all they seem to care about these days, the MCG will break all kinds of records for them. Americans will travel and purchase tickets, people all over the world will come. 100,000 in the seats alone and then add an extra what? 30-50k seats on the field? They'll be stupid not to look at the G for a Wrestlemania event

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be either a network special, or Hell In A Cell/TLC/No Mercy type PPV. These usually occur in October, which is the week after the AFL Grand Final. Survivor Series is traditionally a November PPV.

Leaning more towards the special though.

Hell in a Cell is already announced for September 16th in San Antonio, Texas.

TLC is announced for October 21st in Boston, Massachusetts

So it won't be either of those events, it will most likely be 'Global Warning II'.

I don't think it'll be a big pay per view either. Hopefully once they do this though the WWE will see and understand how great our stadium can/could be to host a Wrestlemania in the future. If they want records, which that's all they seem to care about these days, the MCG will break all kinds of records for them. Americans will travel and purchase tickets, people all over the world will come. 100,000 in the seats alone and then add an extra what? 30-50k seats on the field? They'll be stupid not to look at the G for a Wrestlemania event

I just don't get the 'we'll get over 100k at the MCG' statements flying around.

I was at WM32 in Arlington, and it was jam packed. The WWE claim there was over 100k in attendance, but many reports placed it at just over 90,000.
Can't see how Melbourne could get 100k, when American Wrestlemanias don't even get those numbers.

Hell in a Cell is already announced for September 16th in San Antonio, Texas.

TLC is announced for October 21st in Boston, Massachusetts

So it won't be either of those events, it will most likely be 'Global Warning II'.

I hadn't looked at the schedule, so now the network special is just about a lock.

I was thinking the same name, or Global Warning 2018, but time will tell.

I was at WM32 in Arlington, and it was jam packed. The WWE claim there was over 100k in attendance, but many reports placed it at just over 90,000.
Can't see how Melbourne could get 100k, when American Wrestlemanias don't even get those numbers.
American stadiums aren't big enough to hold the capacity that the MCG does. Many people miss out on WM tickets each year, more seats at the G, the more tickets they'll sell

Yeah packed but not full. MCG will hold far more than 100k.

It would be huge too, plus the tourism in Melbourne and the money made by the city would be huge.

Australia doesn’t have the fans needed to sell out the MCG for a wrestling show. Maybe a WrestleMania but that wouldn’t and shouldn’t happen, but for a network special?

If the Grand Final can’t hit 100k most years and AFL is Australia’s most popular sport - how do you honestly think wrestling will go when a large majority of people laugh off wrestling because “hurr hurr WWE is fake”.

Not even UFC sold out Etihad to my knowledge.

It’ll be interesting to actually go to an event and see if WWE fudge the numbers. I’ve been to that many games at the G, like most people you get a rough idea of attendance even without the number. Will be clear as day if they bullshit their way to 100k

Australia doesn’t have the fans needed to sell out the MCG for a wrestling show. Maybe a WrestleMania but that wouldn’t and shouldn’t happen, but for a network special?

If the Grand Final can’t hit 100k most years and AFL is Australia’s most popular sport - how do you honestly think wrestling will go when a large majority of people laugh off wrestling because “hurr hurr WWE is fake”.

I disagree with this. The whole Aussie tour goes to what? 4 states when they come here. Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane? (if I'm correct), most venues hold 20k each which every Melbourne tour I've been too has been full. That's 80k that would fill the MCG as you'd obviously expect interstaters to make a weekend out of it.

So just because the AFL can't reach the 100k mark during the AFL Grand Final most years, means the WWE with a different seating configuration isn't able to do it?

The capacity for the configuration of the AFL Grand Final is 100,024. To not reach 100,000 all it takes is 25 people not to use their ticket or 0.00025% of fans with tickets not attending for one reason or another. This is not that high considering how many Grand Final tickets are given to corporates, competition winners, etc. that aren't incredibly passionate about the game to ensure they either go or give their tickets to someone else.

In comparison the WWE have the ability to place seats on the grass, potentially adding 25,000+ seats for a stadium of that size (larger grassed area than any WWE event in history), but losing approximately 15,000-20,000 in the Ponsford Stand for the stage/entrance. Which would provide the capacity between 105,000 and 110,000 for the WWE event.

Yes, it will be difficult to sell that many tickets but you can't really compare it to the AFL Grand Final hitting 100k.

Do you honestly think there’s that many committed wrestling fans with the finances available to actually fill out the ‘G, or get anywhere near? It’s assuming that everyone who buys a ticket to these house shows decides “* it, I’ve got my money lying around, let’s all go to Melbourne!”.

You can say it’s an unfair comparison to the footy but I would be highly, highly surprised if there were even 50k, let alone 100k, pro wrestling fans in Australia who would make it to the event.

Yeah Global Warming got 55k but that was peak popularity for wrestling at the time, where it was still popular in the mainstream of society, with a main event of prime Rock, Brock and HHH.

Do you honestly think there’s that many committed wrestling fans with the finances available to actually fill out the ‘G, or get anywhere near? It’s assuming that everyone who buys a ticket to these house shows decides “**** it, I’ve got my money lying around, let’s all go to Melbourne!”.

You can say it’s an unfair comparison to the footy but I would be highly, highly surprised if there were even 50k, let alone 100k, pro wrestling fans in Australia who would make it to the event.

Yeah Global Warming got 55k but that was peak popularity for wrestling at the time, where it was still popular in the mainstream of society, with a main event of prime Rock, Brock and HHH.
You're forgetting that there are a bunch of people from all over the world that fly to America for wrestlemania and summerslam. If the wwe promote it as almost an equivalent of those two, then you could get that many people flying in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back