WWE SUPER SHOW -MCG October 6

HomokHarcos

Senior List
May 1, 2015
Canada
AFL Club
Richmond
Let's say WWE decided to host a WrestleMania in the MGC (even though that scenario is very unlikely in real life). Do you think it could be filled? Keep in mind that the oval would have to be filled with floor seats.

Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm
Let's say WWE decided to host a WrestleMania in the MGC (even though that scenario is very unlikely in real life). Do you think it could be filled? Keep in mind that the oval would have to be filled with floor seats.

With the amount of people that would fly across plus the WWE's marketing and promotion machine (one thing they do very well) working in full swing here I'd say they could probably sell all/near all of it out with maybe a few thousand freebies to get it at least looking full if need be.

jabba5114

Premiership Player
Jan 23, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah easy. People would go from around the country to see it. Plus tourists would be turning people back

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Yeah easy. People would go from around the country to see it. Plus tourists would be turning people back

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

and From Asia as well

The most recent event at the MCG of a 'similar' style was last years Guns & Roses' show. I've got the link below which shows what the seating plan was for that event & there was 70,000 there for that crowd.

http://www.mcg.org.au/_/media/files/mcg/general/mcg_seating_plan_gnr_feb14_2017.pdf?la=en
I think the size of a WWE crowd at the MCG would depend on a few things:
Whether The show would be a 'single' show or part of a larger tour

This could both positively or negatively impacts the show. Major PPV weekends now often have 3-4 nights in the same city/area, with a NXT:Takeover, PPV, Raw & Smackdown all being filmed in back-to-back nights (sometimes in smaller venues). If they did this, I think it lower the 'local' crowd that would attend the PPV, as some people might be more likely to go to just the NXT: Takeover show, but it would increase the travelling audience who would make a 'trip' out of WWE if it's a full experience, rather than just the PPV. However if the WWE decide to do the different shows in different Australian cities, I could see the 'tour' actually negatively impacting the travelling fans, as people from Sydney or Brisbane may not come down to the PPV if they have a Raw/Smackdown in their city the following night.
If it can find 'clear air' in the Melbourne sporting schedule

I don't think Wrestlemania would actually be the best show to bring to Australia. In late March/Early April you have the start of both the AFL and NRL seasons, the end of the A-League season, the Formula 1's, etc. It's a busy time for the Melbourne sporting landscape and I feel that positive media coverage for the WWE would get 'lost' amongst the media.

I think the best time of year for the WWE to try a large MCG show would be mid-October, the ground is empty--it is after the AFL finals, before the Spring Racing carnival really hits it's stride and depending on the year before the cricket season starts in Australia. Even if the PPV quality isn't quite as high as Wrestlemania, it could still be a top quality show. There is rumours going around that the WWE may drop the single brand PPV's, which means they could bring the whole roster down for a PPV.

If we look at the 'top matches' on PPV from late Sept/Early October last year I would be happy if they made up an Australian PPV. No Mercy had Brock Lesnar Vs Braun Strowman & John Cena Vs. Roman Reigns (1st time for both matches) while Hell in a Cell gave two GREAT Hell in a Cell Matches in Usos Vs. New Day and Kevin Owens Vs. Shane McMahon. Use that level of quality to form a PPV and I would be happy.
That there is a ‘local’ star that can do local media, hyping up the Australian connection

The WWE has plenty of Australian stars and I believe these characters would attract the casual fan, who may be more likely to go to a show to cheer on an ‘Aussie’. Imagine TM-61 hyping up aTag title match on an AFL finals pre show a few weeks before the show wearing their ‘AFL style jerseys’. Or Buddy Murphy hyping up a Crusierweight Championship match on The Project, or the Iconic Duo on Sunrise or the Today Show. You just need to get these talents into matches on the MCG show.

Local media attention would up the crowd numbers, as we don’t have 100,000 Melbournians watch WWE every week. On this fact
WWE Raw & Smackdown is better advertised in the build up

If you can get old fans back watching, or new fans watching for the first time in the build up to the PPV, they are more likely to go to the show and then also watch ongoing. I think the WWE is already starting this, as they’ve got both Raw & Smackdown (even if they are in 1 hour versions) onto 9Go!

I don’t think they’ve done this for people to necessarily watch live, but to provide versions of these shows on Free catch up TV that Australian’s haven’t had previously.

I think all of the above things could impact an MCG crowd and if done right they could get close to a sell out.

from the Observer newsletter this week:
While not a done deal, the Melbourne Cricket Grounds, a stadium in Australia, that holds 100,000 people, is in talks with WWE about a proposed “Global Warning” in October. A report from Sports Day is that the building, which is trying to get major events from the city that used to go to Etihad Stadium (where WWE ran in 2002 and UFC ran in 2015 with Ronda Rousey vs. Holly Holm), is trying to get a WWE PPV and a Bon Jovi concert this year. This was reported previously by Ryan Satin in December as a topic of discussion and there is at least smoke to that fire.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
The most recent event at the MCG of a 'similar' style was last years Guns & Roses' show. I've got the link below which shows what the seating plan was for that event & there was 70,000 there for that crowd.

http://www.mcg.org.au/_/media/files/mcg/general/mcg_seating_plan_gnr_feb14_2017.pdf?la=en
I think the size of a WWE crowd at the MCG would depend on a few things:
Whether The show would be a 'single' show or part of a larger tour

This could both positively or negatively impacts the show. Major PPV weekends now often have 3-4 nights in the same city/area, with a NXT:Takeover, PPV, Raw & Smackdown all being filmed in back-to-back nights (sometimes in smaller venues). If they did this, I think it lower the 'local' crowd that would attend the PPV, as some people might be more likely to go to just the NXT: Takeover show, but it would increase the travelling audience who would make a 'trip' out of WWE if it's a full experience, rather than just the PPV. However if the WWE decide to do the different shows in different Australian cities, I could see the 'tour' actually negatively impacting the travelling fans, as people from Sydney or Brisbane may not come down to the PPV if they have a Raw/Smackdown in their city the following night.
If it can find 'clear air' in the Melbourne sporting schedule

I don't think Wrestlemania would actually be the best show to bring to Australia. In late March/Early April you have the start of both the AFL and NRL seasons, the end of the A-League season, the Formula 1's, etc. It's a busy time for the Melbourne sporting landscape and I feel that positive media coverage for the WWE would get 'lost' amongst the media.

I think the best time of year for the WWE to try a large MCG show would be mid-October, the ground is empty--it is after the AFL finals, before the Spring Racing carnival really hits it's stride and depending on the year before the cricket season starts in Australia. Even if the PPV quality isn't quite as high as Wrestlemania, it could still be a top quality show. There is rumours going around that the WWE may drop the single brand PPV's, which means they could bring the whole roster down for a PPV.

If we look at the 'top matches' on PPV from late Sept/Early October last year I would be happy if they made up an Australian PPV. No Mercy had Brock Lesnar Vs Braun Strowman & John Cena Vs. Roman Reigns (1st time for both matches) while Hell in a Cell gave two GREAT Hell in a Cell Matches in Usos Vs. New Day and Kevin Owens Vs. Shane McMahon. Use that level of quality to form a PPV and I would be happy.
That there is a ‘local’ star that can do local media, hyping up the Australian connection

The WWE has plenty of Australian stars and I believe these characters would attract the casual fan, who may be more likely to go to a show to cheer on an ‘Aussie’. Imagine TM-61 hyping up aTag title match on an AFL finals pre show a few weeks before the show wearing their ‘AFL style jerseys’. Or Buddy Murphy hyping up a Crusierweight Championship match on The Project, or the Iconic Duo on Sunrise or the Today Show. You just need to get these talents into matches on the MCG show.

Local media attention would up the crowd numbers, as we don’t have 100,000 Melbournians watch WWE every week. On this fact
WWE Raw & Smackdown is better advertised in the build up

If you can get old fans back watching, or new fans watching for the first time in the build up to the PPV, they are more likely to go to the show and then also watch ongoing. I think the WWE is already starting this, as they’ve got both Raw & Smackdown (even if they are in 1 hour versions) onto 9Go!

I don’t think they’ve done this for people to necessarily watch live, but to provide versions of these shows on Free catch up TV that Australian’s haven’t had previously.

I think all of the above things could impact an MCG crowd and if done right they could get close to a sell out.

It won't happen. Thousands of people travel to WrestleMania every year. If it's in Australia not only will most of them simply not go - more expensive flights, longer time off work - but their pattern of attendance will be broken and 2 years later some of them will decide watching on TV is easier.

Locally, there's no reason for WWE to give us something like WrestleMania. Dickheads pay hundreds year after year for a ******* house show.

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It won't happen. Thousands of people travel to WrestleMania every year. If it's in Australia not only will most of them simply not go - more expensive flights, longer time off work - but their pattern of attendance will be broken and 2 years later some of them will decide watching on TV is easier.

Locally, there's no reason for WWE to give us something like WrestleMania. Dickheads pay hundreds year after year for a ******* house show.

I just don't get it. Why are 100,000 people going to rock up to a show unless it's an absolutely ridiculous card which is almost impossible anyway

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
They go do a few matches like this to add to the hype of it being at the G.

Get 30 of the previous Brownlow medialists to compete in 30 many royal rumble.

Do an 5 man elimination tag with 5 past cricketers v 5 past AFL players.

Could do a Carey v Stevens Match with kelli in the corner of Carey.

Back