WWE TV, Rumours and Discussion - Part VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to disagree, the only power moves HHH does is the spine buster and pedigree, otherwise he’s just brawling.

The long entrances, I’d rather do a couple of loads of washing, do the housework, mow the lawns, go shopping and hopefully when I come back he has only just stepped into the ring. Same with the undertaker, I have better things to do with my time. long entrances may be some people’s thing, but certainly isn’t mine.

He is good on the mic, but I wouldn’t say he is great. Stone Cold, The Rock, Dusty Rhodes and CM punk were exceptional. MJF, Cody, Randy Savage, Jericho and Ric Flair were/are great . HHH is on the same level as Hulk Hogan and John Cena, able to sell a match, but lack that emotional connection by basically doing the same promo.

the only thing I will agree with you on is his look. All baucause some one looks good, it doesn't’ necessarily mean they are good.

Some of HHHs feuds were up there with the very best. It was a combination of physical size/intimidation, intensity, stakes, who he worked with, and during the early 2000s, the epic promo packages of feuds!

None of that exists any more. Promos are now just legends sitting down either pumping themselves up or a bland ham and egger (only a H&E because there’s no investment in their characters). Don’t get me wrong - a lot of this has to do with Vince and his total control over every word said on a WWE mic, but it’s just not the same as it was.

Listened to another Talk is Jericho (working my way through them) and it is so depressing to listen to Matt Hardy talk about his excitement coming back to wwe, the promises he was promised, then the total lack of response or commitment to ANYTHING he proposed. Vince simply wouldn’t let him do anything, as in Matt’s words ”because he himself didn’t get it”.

He had a cool idea for viginettes after he drowned Bray, in that Bray would emerge as a cleansed character, and they’d become friends at the hardy compound. Vince said no. Instead Vince only enjoyed Matt’s crazy laugh, so that’s what we saw him do for the next month after each meaningless match (again his words) - crazy laugh for no apparent reason, except to make a Vince laugh in gorilla.

They eventually threw a s**t ton of money at him to stay as he more and more looked like leaving (he was gone unless they guaranteed him some control). He fully believed if HHH was in control it would have been completely different and he was very supportive, even after he did quit.

His main point is they are just tying up talent for no other reason than to kill any competition. Guys like gable, crews, Ali were all going to feature in viginettes at the Hardy compound setting up RAW and SDmatches, instead Vince killed the idea and had them sitting around doing nothing.

Jericho even chimes in that obviously nothing had changed as Jerichos original idea for highlight reel was jerichos junction, and he would have on under utilised mid card talent feature. Vince loved it! But one small change - he wanted Goldberg week one. And Steiner week 2. And on and on.

He’s single handedly killing wrestling by butchering the most week know and recognised company.

Last edited:
Some of HHHs feuds were up there with the very best. It was a combination of physical size/intimidation, intensity, stakes, who he worked with, and during the early 2000s, the epic promo packages of feuds!

None of that exists any more. Promos are now just legends sitting down either pumping themselves up or a bland ham and egger (only a H&E because there’s no investment in their characters). Don’t get me wrong - a lot of this has to do with Vince and his total control over every word said on a WWE mic, but it’s just not the same as it was.

Listened to another Talk is Jericho (working my way through them) and it is so depressing to listen to Matt Hardy talk about his excitement coming back to wwe, the promises he was promised, then the total lack of response or commitment to ANYTHING he proposed. Vince simply wouldn’t let him do anything, as in Matt’s words ”because he himself didn’t get it”.

He had a cool idea for viginettes after he drowned Bray, in that Bray would emerge as a cleansed character, and they’d become friends at the hardy compound. Vince said no. Instead Vince only enjoyed Matt’s crazy laugh, so that’s what we saw him do for the next month after each meaningless match (again his words) - crazy laugh for no apparent reason, except to make a Vince laugh in gorilla.

They eventually threw a sh*t ton of money at him to stay as he more and more looked like leaving (he was gone unless they guaranteed him some control). He fully believed if HHH was in control it would have been completely different and he was very supportive, even after he did quit.

His main point is they are just tying up talent for no other reason than to kill any competition. Guys like gable, crews, Ali were all going to feature in viginettes at the Hardy compound setting up RAW and SDmatches, instead Vince killed the idea and had them sitting around doing nothing.

Jericho even chimes in that obviously nothing had changed as Jerichos original idea for highlight reel was jerichos junction, and he would have on under utilised mid card talent feature. Vince loved it! But one small change - he wanted Goldberg week one. And Steiner week 2. And on and on.

He’s single handedly killing wrestling by butchering the most week know and recognised company.

the reported micromanaging from Vince is starting to take its toll On the ratings. Seeing the difference in Cody Rhodes for example is totally amazing. Cody and his promos are a thing of beauty in AEW, in WWE they were just meh. Jon Moxley is another that has improved out of site since leaving.

I‘m loving that there is now legitimate competition for Vince again. After the Hulk Hogan era, and steroid scandal it forced the company to maKe changes to its product. Instead of your rounded up superstars in ultimate warrior and Hulk Hogan, it built up stars like Bret Hart and Shawn Micheals who could tell a story in the ring. Arn Anderson was discussing cesaro, saying that everyone can see what he is truly capable of doing bar Vince. He went on to say, that the moves that cesaro can do, are so unique, yet Vince forbids Him from using them.

another example is Zack Ryder, who used his own initiative with his YouTube channel. Yes he got an initial push, but was soon pushed back down the card because it wasn’t Vince’s idea.

I can understand why NXT and AEW numbers are rising, while Raw and SD are decreasing. Hell Vince has even said it himself, AEW and NXT are new, because they are not held back by a 74 year old narcissist, as Raw and SD are.

Dare I use Wrestling terminology but surely there was a stage in Vince's headmanship (to coin a word) where he was marking out big time and saw the potential in what talent he had at his disposal and went on from there.

Now, it sounds like he's constantly stifling any development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

oh boy, apparently 90s faction warfare retread. remember how awful NOD vs DOA vs Los Boriquas was?

Devil's advocate: It's a well they haven't gone back to for a a while and *maybe* it might give a little bit of structure to the shows and give a little bit of attention to developing mid and lower card characters?

DX v The Corporation in 98 a good example; I feel like everyone involved (with Owen maybe the only exception) in that finished more over than they started, which is surely what you're looking for from a stable feud.

*But yeah, gang wars was ******* dross, no argument from me there.

obviously one of the writers sitting around re-watched Fight Club again and just went with a PG version of that..

PG being the key word. It just doesn't work here and is contrived as hell. I'd take a GCW Bloodsport or old Lucha Underground show over any of that 'Raw Underground' horse s**t I saw tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back