WWE TV, Rumours and Discussion - Part VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gables corner flip kicks look brutal! ON GABLE!

They barely graze Corbin, but seem to almost paralyse Gable every time he lands on the back of his neck..

don’t you mean Shorty. Or seeing the WWE have filed for the trademark Shorty G 🙄🤢🤮

Vince and Trips really enjoy burying wrestlers that can wrestle. While promoting Entertainers that can’t entertain.

Are you pretending that NJPW, TNA, ROH, etc didn’t exist 5-10 years ago?

It was almost 10 years ago that Hogan, Bischoff & co lead TNA to the short lived ‘Monday Night Wars 2.0’.

Go back & watch an episode of Raw & Smackdown from 5 or 10 years ago? We’re they really much better than what we’re getting now?

going from memory, 5 years ago, was when WWE started taking a nose dive. 10 years ago, was more watchable than it is now. 10 years ago 2009, most of the workers were full time, compared to the main draws being part time. Compare the rosters from 10 years ago 2009. Edge, Orton, HHH, Micheals, Undertaker, Cena, Big Show, Mysterio, Kane, Jericho, Batista and Jeff Hardy. No part timers. Mid card included JBL, CM Punk, Kofi, MVP, Matt Hardy, Mr. Kennedy, Regal, Cody, Ted Diabse,

5 years ago, 2014, you started to see more reliance on the part timers, rather than developing their own. It has really only been members of the Sheild, that they developed. The main event you had Del Rio, CM Punk, Cena, Bryan, Orton, Big Show, Sheamus, Miz and The Sheild. Add to that Undertaker, HHH, Brock, The Rock all part time. In the mid card, Cody, Cesaro, Sandow, Christian, Kofi, Barrett, Ziggler, Swagger and Big E, I’ll add AJ Lee in as well.

Currently, The main event guys are Roman, Seth, Corbin, AJ Styles, Bryan, Wyatt, Corbin, Becky Lynch and Charlotte, Orton, Kofi. Brock, Cain, Fury, Cena, undertaker, Goldberg, Rousey, Batista and HHH and Shane OMac are all part timers. the mid card consists of Owens, Miz, Samoa Joe, Bailey, Banks, Bliss, Richochet, New Day, OC, McIntyre, Murphy, Zayn and Nakamara, Lashley, Erik, Roode and Ziggler and Mysterio. Underused and poorly booked and should leave: Cesaro, Asuka, Luke Harper, The revival, Andrade, Murphy, Benjamin and Rusev, Gable, Black and Finn.

I have focused on just the WWE. With more emphasis being placed on part timers to fill main event spots, the product has gone down considerably. Instead of rising talents up, for the most part they have been pushed way down. The lack of full time main event stars tell the story. In 5 years time its really only Seth, Roman, Wyatt, Lynch, Charlotte that are worthwhile main eventers. The rest will either be part timers or retired. From the mid card group, it’s only Richochet that looks like heading up to the next group. Possibly Black, if they can start booking him better.

so the product 10 years ago was way superior than this crap that they have now.

so the product 10 years ago was way superior than this crap that they have now.

I'm not saying you don't have a point-- because their is definitely more of a reliance on part time wrestlers now; but WWE shows in general are still better now than they were 10 years ago. For example-- the PPV that occurred 10 years ago. I'm using the PPV matches to give 10 years ago a better chance; because Raw/Smackdown atm have more big matches due to the TV network changes, etc. where as Raw 10 years ago had the Weekly Guest Celebrity GM's.

Bragging Rights 2009
The Miz Vs John Morrison (about 6 months after they were split as a team via. the draft)
Beth Phoenix, Michelle McCool & Natalya Vs Gail Kim, Kelly Kelly & Melina
World Heavyweight Title Match- The Undertaker Vs Batista Vs CM Punk Vs Rey Mysterio ('Taker/Punk having already been in a Hell in a Cell match against each other the month before)
14-Man Tag Match - Chris Jericho, David Hart Smith, Tyson Kidd, Fit Finlay, Kane, Matt Hardy & R-Truth Vs Triple H, Shawn Michaels, The Big Show, Mark Henry, Kofi Kingston, Jack Swagger & Cody Rhodes (with the tag champions in Jericho & Big Show on opposing sides)
WWE Championship in a 60 minute Iron Man Match (w/Anything Goes, Falls Count Anywhere, No DQ) John Cena Vs Randy Orton (during peak Super Cena)

The WWE 10 years ago wasn't great.

It wasn't just the fact of part timers taking main event spaces. There could have been a place for those matches while also displaying & elevating the current talent. The thing that would annoy me is when they'd have the part timers crap all over the full time talent. Like you'd have someone like Rusev on a real hot steak, getting great crowd reactions, etc only to have someone like the Rock show up and make him look like an absolute pathetic pleb all for the sake of one promo where they'd have no interaction with each other ever again. Ridiculously short sighted booking with no real benefit

I'm not saying you don't have a point-- because their is definitely more of a reliance on part time wrestlers now; but WWE shows in general are still better now than they were 10 years ago. For example-- the PPV that occurred 10 years ago. I'm using the PPV matches to give 10 years ago a better chance; because Raw/Smackdown atm have more big matches due to the TV network changes, etc. where as Raw 10 years ago had the Weekly Guest Celebrity GM's.

Bragging Rights 2009
The Miz Vs John Morrison (about 6 months after they were split as a team via. the draft)
Beth Phoenix, Michelle McCool & Natalya Vs Gail Kim, Kelly Kelly & Melina
World Heavyweight Title Match- The Undertaker Vs Batista Vs CM Punk Vs Rey Mysterio ('Taker/Punk having already been in a Hell in a Cell match against each other the month before)
14-Man Tag Match - Chris Jericho, David Hart Smith, Tyson Kidd, Fit Finlay, Kane, Matt Hardy & R-Truth Vs Triple H, Shawn Michaels, The Big Show, Mark Henry, Kofi Kingston, Jack Swagger & Cody Rhodes (with the tag champions in Jericho & Big Show on opposing sides)
WWE Championship in a 60 minute Iron Man Match (w/Anything Goes, Falls Count Anywhere, No DQ) John Cena Vs Randy Orton (during peak Super Cena)

The WWE 10 years ago wasn't great.

It wasn’t great. it Wasn’t that bad either. Every era has its ups and downs. While most will rave about the attitude era, that too also had its share of hits and misses. The biggest miss was not having The Rock and HHH main eventing Wrestlmania 2000. instead we got A Macmahon in every corner. Which ruined that match. Others look at the Rock n Roll era, or the Hogan era if you like. Notable misses for me was no Jake the Snake or Mr Perfect vs Hogan, due to Hogan’s ego. I really enjoyed the steriod Scandal era, where the matches became better, Micheal’s and Hart became main event stars. I also enjoyed the ruthless aggression era and the Smackdown six. Once again the matches became better, story telling from Angle, Benoit and Eddie were major highlights. Edge was starting to find his feet, Evolution helped develop Orton and Batista. Since Cena and the Rock, wrestled for one time only, they have put more emphasis on part timers rather than develop the full timers. Seth, Roman and to a lesser extent Owens have they really developed since then.

Corbin May have heat, but he is not an attraction that I want to watch. If The Main event is unappealing in a PPV I switch off. Roman vs HHH, Roman vs Brock, Roman vs Undertaker, Corbin and Evans vs Seth and Lynch ect. I’d love to see a decent main event, something that hasn’t happened for a very long time. If Cesaro, Samoa Joe, Nakamara, Balor, had been properly built up like Corbin and Roman are/were, then add them to Seth and Owens, then you would be guaranteed of at least 4 star matches, while you could start to groom the next breed in, such as Matt Riddle, Adam Cole Johnny Wrestling, Ciampia, Walter, Dunn, Dream, Richochet ect... Instead we get main events where people like myself will switch off, as it’s a waste of time watching it because your not going to enjoy it.

Corbin May have heat, but he is not an attraction that I want to watch. If The Main event is unappealing in a PPV I switch off. Roman vs HHH, Roman vs Brock, Roman vs Undertaker, Corbin and Evans vs Seth and Lynch ect. I’d love to see a decent main event, something that hasn’t happened for a very long time. If Cesaro, Samoa Joe, Nakamara, Balor, had been properly built up like Corbin and Roman are/were, then add them to Seth and Owens, then you would be guaranteed of at least 4 star matches, while you could start to groom the next breed in, such as Matt Riddle, Adam Cole Johnny Wrestling, Ciampia, Walter, Dunn, Dream, Richochet ect... Instead we get main events where people like myself will switch off, as it’s a waste of time watching it because your not going to enjoy it.

I'm not discussing just the main events of shows though-- you can still enjoy a wrestling show without the main event being great. I'd happily re-watch any PPV from 2019 over a 2009 PPV because you are more likely to get a high quality match at some stage on the card.

Also Let's not get too focused on the 'star rating', because Meltzer is a biased and strange dude; but if you're going to reference it we can. There has been more 5-star matches in the WWE in 2019 than there was in the entire decade of the 00's. So even though the WWE COULD do better in the main event, the people you mention are already putting on top quality matches, just not in the 'main event' slot that you are hoping for.

I'm not discussing just the main events of shows though-- you can still enjoy a wrestling show without the main event being great. I'd happily re-watch any PPV from 2019 over a 2009 PPV because you are more likely to get a high quality match at some stage on the card.

Also Let's not get too focused on the 'star rating', because Meltzer is a biased and strange dude; but if you're going to reference it we can. There has been more 5-star matches in the WWE in 2019 than there was in the entire decade of the 00's. So even though the WWE COULD do better in the main event, the people you mention are already putting on top quality matches, just not in the 'main event' slot that you are hoping for.

fair enough, I’m happy to agree to disagree with you on this, as barring NXT Takeovers, my opinions on WWE PPV’s in recent years are different. I’m giving them until Survivor series to turn it around, if that’s another disappointment to me, I will cancel my subscription to the network, and subscribe to Fite. Hopefully I can find a stream, where I can still watch the NXT takeovers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

still no home for Cesaro

Would love to see him do a stint in NXT: UK; partner him up with Kassius Ohno for a Kings of Wrestling reunion. Would be suitable opponents for Imperium as both a stable; plus a singles match for WALTER.

In-ring product = way better now.
Television programming, storyline development, building of new stars = way worse.

I've absolutely loved the first two weeks of AEW and NXT for the majority of its existence because they have managed to find the balance between the two.
AEW is in its infancy and could mess it up. NXT being a longer weekly show could ruin that as well. But currently it's the only stuff I feel like watching and the monthly WWE PPV offering is usually fun too (minus Hell In A Cell of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back