WWE TV, Rumours and Discussion - Part VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. It's not the top Monday cable show. It hasn't been the top Monday cable show since at minimum 2005.

:rolleyes:
Did you look at the links I shared with you??

Just look at this one-- which is the ratings for Monday 6th Jan (the only Raw not to have NFL or College Football head-to-head):

WWE Entertainment was the No.1, No. 2 & No. 3 program of the night (as it's broken down by hours)

Blaming a part-time wrestler on the declining ratings is strange :rolleyes:

But if you want to look a little further into it--- Monday Night Raw is STILL the highest rated show on Monday nights on Cable TV in the US (as it was in 2000, 2010, 2014, whatever year you want to choose as a point. Television ratings have been going down across the board for a multitude of reasons both in the USA and in Australia, it's not unique to the WWE.

I disagree with you on the first part of this statement (as proven in my previous comments)--- but how about I let you (and Bomberboy/ anyone else that wants to answer this question) fantasy book for a minute. When should the streak have been broken?? By who?
The main problem with Brock is that he is only part time. Raw has spent long periods virtually without a main title because the guy who has it only wants to work a few dates a year. The title should be the main emphasis of the show, and WWE has had a 3 hour weekly program where the title basically doesn’t exist.

I always thought the streak should end, and still think it was the right call. I didn’t even have an issue with it being Brock. But they had to get a bigger payoff from it. A part time monster heel who was already over as a part time monster heel, who has always been pretty open about not wanting to be anything more than a part timer is not a big enough reward from such an iconic moment.

The main problem with Brock is that he is only part time. Raw has spent long periods virtually without a main title because the guy who has it only wants to work a few dates a year. The title should be the main emphasis of the show, and WWE has had a 3 hour weekly program where the title basically doesn’t exist.

I always thought the streak should end, and still think it was the right call. I didn’t even have an issue with it being Brock. But they had to get a bigger payoff from it. A part time monster heel who was already over as a part time monster heel, who has always been pretty open about not wanting to be anything more than a part timer is not a big enough reward from such an iconic moment.

I feel that unfortunately the "big payoff" from Lesnar beating The Undertaker at Wrestlemania 30 was impacted by the 'injury/retirement' crisis the WWE had in 2014. In the space of 6 months leading up to Brock Lesnar winning the title @ SummerSlam '14 the WWE had lost CM Punk, Christian, Daniel Bryan & Alberto Del Rio; adding to that Rob Van Dam was about to leave, Chris Jericho was only available part time and the WWE had to build the 3 members of the Shield as individuals (with them breaking up in the summer of 2014).

It meant that Brock Lesnar ending up being brought into the World Title scene and won the title because they didn't have a 'big name' outside of Cena & Orton to hold it at the tile [and everyone was sick of Cena & Orton in 2014]. Long story short--I think this a/ showed the WWE that the title could be on a part timer that made the title matches more special worked at the time and b/ ended up ruining the start of Roman Reign's push because he had to overcome both 'the unstoppable Brock Lesnar' as well as win the title when the fans wanted a returning Daniel Bryan to win the title. Instead if Bryan remained healthy and/or the title never had to be put on Brock Lesnar at SummerSlam '14 the Wrestlemania 31 card may've instead been:

WWE Heavyweight Championship Match
John Cena (c) vs Daniel Bryan
-Daniel Bryan gets to re-create the 'Yes Movement' & defeat the biggest name in WWE at the time in John Cena, winning the title again-- only to lose it to a MITB cash-in from Seth Rollins.

Brock Lesnar Vs Roman Reigns
--Reigns as a young babyface takes down the 'Beast' that ended the streak at Wrestemania the year before & doesn't get the hatred because he's not over shining Daniel Bryan.

The injuries/retirements of that era really impacted the WWE IMO.

so glad that WWE signed Elias to a long-term deal, was worried there for a minute. :rolleyes:
Eliaas a few years back would have been a great IC Champ for a while. Now, it's hard to care

In my opinion that's what makes Brock such an effective heel. He's become the "Final Boss" of the WWE. Since Wrestlemania 30 only 4 people have defeated Brock Lesnar--- The Undertaker, Goldberg, Roman Reigns & Seth Rollins with only Goldberg & Seth Rollins doing it 'clean'.

Tbf 4 losses isn't really that impressive when you've had 8 matches since Wrestlemania 30.
That's like a 50% success rate man

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blaming a part-time wrestler on the declining ratings is strange :rolleyes:

But if you want to look a little further into it--- Monday Night Raw is STILL the highest rated show on Monday nights on Cable TV in the US (as it was in 2000, 2010, 2014, whatever year you want to choose as a point. Television ratings have been going down across the board for a multitude of reasons both in the USA and in Australia, it's not unique to the WWE.

I disagree with you on the first part of this statement (as proven in my previous comments)--- but how about I let you (and Bomberboy/ anyone else that wants to answer this question) fantasy book for a minute. When should the streak have been broken?? By who?

Blaming the world champ for ratings has always been the way things go in wrestling. Having a part timer as your champ is going to effect this. You can say whatever you want about TV ratings in general being down and being the highest rated show during off-seasons for cable shows really means * all, it’s clear WWE is out of the mainstream even more than it was at WrestleMania 30.

I notice you skipped over the plethora of heels that were clearly better in the 21st century. Nice.

CM Punk - WrestleMania 29. Streak vs Streak (he doesn’t lose the title to Rock at the Rumble). I think having him do it at 28 would’ve been perfect but fair enough you have Rock vs Cena. Could’ve main evented 29 and had the title on the line. Treat Punk properly like a main event and you might have another home grown star that could make it in pop culture.

Punk could he heel or face facing guys like Jericho, Bryan, Cena, Brock for a year before the Shield are ready to break up then you’ve got all three of those guys to face (providing they hadn’t ruined those singles pushes).

Geez fantasy booking just makes me depressed.

The commentators sound so dull and low on enthusiasm now when the show begins. It’s been fantastic having the pyro back, it looks phenomenal, but then silence and a not so excited quiet and boring ‘Welcome to Monday Night Raw/SmackDown on Fox brought to you be Progressive”. Kills all the momentum of the intro video and pyro.

Vic Joseph to me is such a bland voice too

The HHH matches weren’t as good as the HBK matches.

Still best match I have seen the second one.

That promo still gives me chills.

Seriously * off Big Show he should not be on TV let alone the main event.

Hoping McIntyre comes out around 12 and eliminates Lesnar leading to a match at Mania, one of the only legit stars on Raw I can believe taking down Lesnar.

The Rocks dad " Soul Man " Rocky Johnson passed away today , surprised nobody mentioned it.
1 of my earliest pro-wrestling memories was him and Tony Atlas as a tag team on WWOS back in the jurassic era.

Watching it live, I thought ending the streak was as a storyline the end of Taker. Some of his matches at Mania years after I think should have never taken place, unless it was against Sting.

remember hearing Lance Storm before the streak was broken. He was saying the way he would book the streak getting broken was to have Undertaker declare that he would retire once the streak was broken. Then have people contending in the weeks up to mania to be the person that breaks the streak.

I would much prefer that booking, especially if his matches were against younger talent at the time. Since Brock defeated the streak, I‘m no longer interested in undertaker matches at wrestlemania any more. His matches at wrestlemania has been mediocre at best. Just think the streak vs Aleister Black, Buddy Murphy, Matt Riddle, Velveteen Dream or even Ali; for this years wrestlemania, would be must watch. Now it‘s like yea, put him with HHH, Brock, Goldberg, Cena or evening bloody Hogan, it’s just going to be blah anyway.

So Super-Roman should've been allowed to break the streak too :rolleyes:

Brock Lesnar is the best heel the WWE has had in the 21st Century (if not ever) & half of his mystique is that he isn't on Raw or Smackdown every week.

Disagree Brock should never have broken the streak. whoever broke the streak, should have been someone that could have been sky rocketed into a main event spot. Back then possibly Rollins, Roman, Ambrose, Cesaro, Wyatt and possibly Daniel Bryan.

No one has benefitted from Brock winning.

When did I 'switch' the subject??

Both my comments mention the best heel of the 21st Century--- which IMO Brock is.

Are you going to share with us which heels you think are better?

currently Jericho.

For me personally, Brock is slightly better than Corbin, in maintain any interest in his matches. That’s not anything to brag about.

Disagree Brock should never have broken the streak. whoever broke the streak, should have been someone that could have been sky rocketed into a main event spot. Back then possibly Rollins, Roman, Ambrose, Cesaro, Wyatt and possibly Daniel Bryan.

No one has benefitted from Brock winning.

But 'The Streak' was well & truely above a 'build a main eventer' spot by the time of Wrestlemania XXX. Wrestlemania 23 & 24 were World Heavyweight Championship matches before 'The Streak' became bigger than even a title match. Wrestlemania 25 & 26 were the HBK epics with 27 & 28 being the HHH re-makes of the HBK epics. Once you get to Wrestlemania 29 there's not many people The Undertaker can face off at Wrestlemania; especially as he's already a part-timer by this stage. That's how we get the Punk/'Taker match---Punk is coming off a 434 day title reign and is at that 'main event' level.

'The Streak' was built up that much that it could've only been beaten by someone already at that level; you couldn't use it to build someone up when 'The Streak' meant more the the World Heavyweight & WWE Championship. At the time 'The Streak' ended HBK's career, was the start of HHH's transition into part timer, 'The Streak' meant the world to the company; it could only be ended by someone of Brock's level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back