Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
While most of the attention has been focused on how WWE and AEW have bent, skirted, and avoided protocols and rules to still run live programming during the pandemic, it doesn’t appear to be netting them results that make it seem worth it. Once again, when Monday Night Raw’s ratings for Monday came in, they looked similar to when Wile E. Coyote found himself overrunning the cliff.

The latest episode of Raw saw it draw its second-lowest audience in the show’s history. It had an average of 1.76 million viewers across the three hours, or a rating of 0.51 Which continues a trend that’s been seen since WWE has had to run without an audience. Most of its lowest marks have come during this period. For comparison’s sake, the last Raw to be in front of a live audience drew a 0.71 rating, or just about 30% higher.

It’s not WWE-exclusive, however. AEW’s last rating for a normal show was 0.56. Last week, it was 0.41, the show’s lowest mark since debuting in October. WWE’s network show, Friday Night Smackdown dropped from a 1.71 rating the week before the shutdown to 1.33 last week, though obviously being on Fox boosts its viewership well above the cable shows.

While Vince McMahon contended to his shareholders a couple weeks ago that people would be desperate to see muscled guys running around in their underwear, that hasn’t really come to pass. Why?

Certainly the times have something to do with it. Cable news networks have seen huge increases in their viewership this spring. MSNBC is up 23% over this time last year, CNN is up a staggering 153%, and Fox News up 54% in just the latest sign of this being the 8th level of hell. That would have to have taken at least some of wrestling’s ratings, though perhaps isn’t a total explanation. However, all three of those cable news networks have seen a dip in May as “fatigue” sets in. And yet wrestling hasn’t seen a reverse of that in May as people seek a distraction or just anything else other than news.

WWE would tell you that some missing stars have kept people from tuning in, but that seems a stretch. The only one of note is Roman Reigns, and he alone wouldn’t account for a drop. Becky Lynch’s prolonged absence won’t help, and she wasn’t on TV for the month before announcing her pregnancy either, but the ratings problem began before that. Are Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn really keeping other viewers away? AEW’s slip would have more to do with who’s not there, as most of the women’s and tag divisions weren’t on TV during their pre-taped shows, which would have shaved off some of the audience. Perhaps being pre-taped ruined it for some as well, especially if spoilers had gotten out. But going back live as both AEW and WWE have done the past couple weeks hasn’t seen an uptick in ratings.

Vince was right in that people are clamoring for new programming, which might explain why FS1’s broadcast of Borussia Dortmund-Schalke on Saturday morning drew its highest ever rating for a Bundesliga game on the channel. The 0.33 rating was at or slightly above what NBCSN gets for its lower profile Premier League games, so it could be argued that it was just soccer fans who would normally be watching the Premier League on Saturday morning flocking to any top-flight soccer that was on.

But it’s not like wrestling fans have alternatives, and they haven’t flocked to or back to the programming that’s been consistently on their screens throughout the time.

Perhaps it’s just that fans realize they’re not watching the same thing without a live audience. And they’re not, in a sense, as the live audience is a major portion of the experience, as it is with all sports. We’ll see if the Bundesliga’s ratings continue at that rate after the novelty wears off.

The only other show-type to compare pro wrestling to is late night talk shows. Wrestling isn’t really sports, it’s really not straight television either, but if you’re trying to find something that is usually done in front of a live audience that has changed dramatically without it, it’s Kimmel, Colbert, and Fallon. Both Colbert and Fallon have seen drops from this time last year, 15% for Colbert and and 19% for Fallon, though Kimmel actually has better ratings this past week than he did at this time last year. However, last week saw both Fallon and Colbert at or near where they were in ratings the previous year. The week before that saw similar declines as this past week.

The similarities in what wrestling and late-night talk shows can and can’t do are maybe more than you might think. The essential part of it is still there. A performer doing what they normally do on your screen. But there isn’t a reaction, the limits in the type of sketches/segment variety you can do are much more severe, and there’s quite simply less energy to the whole thing. It would appear a good portion of fans have noticed, and aren’t interested.

Last edited:

We get it--- a raving lunatic fan in JDfromNY agrees with you :rolleyes:

EDIT: You dislike my post. But you do realise that JDfromNY is homophobic & racist. I can't stand anyone who uses the slurs that he does in his videos. We're in the 21st Century, that type of language isn't acceptable anymore.

Last edited:
We get it--- a raving lunatic fan in JDfromNY agrees with you :rolleyes:

EDIT: You dislike my post. But you do realise that JDfromNY is homophobic & racist. I can't stand anyone who uses the slurs that he does in his videos. We're in the 21st Century, that type of language isn't acceptable anymore.

I stopped Watching his Video's as they pretty much the same every week.

Bitching and Complaining

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Lol what. Lesnar is one of the all-time GOATs while Lashley isn't even in the conversation for the current Top 100.

No he really isn’t, he HAD a look, no better than Lashley.
He is no good on the mic.

His moves are suplexs and throwing closed fist punches(which if you remember is supposedly illegal in a pro wrestling match).

He was all about a look and they worked out how to get him over with Heyman as his mouth piece that’s it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was all about a look and they worked out how to get him over with Heyman as his mouth piece that’s it.
Shows you how important someone like a Haymen and to a lesser extent Vega are important to wrestling and getting talent over

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Shows you how important someone like a Haymen and to a lesser extent Vega are important to wrestling and getting talent over

Heyman gives the same speech over and over for years now. Boring. Lesnar could talk 2002-04. It's another indicator of his laziness.

Heyman gives the same speech over and over for years now. Boring.
Perhaps but I am talking about managers as a whole and Heyman has been one of the best managers for a long time. Zelina Vega is another manager I rate. Whilst Maryse wasn't that big of a talker she helped make Miz's character a lot better and their dynamic made them and their feuds more interesting. Look at Jake the Snake and Lance Archer in AEW if you want a non-WWE reference.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Perhaps but I am talking about managers as a whole and Heyman has been one of the best managers for a long time. Zelina Vega is another manager I rate. Whilst Maryse wasn't that big of a talker she helped make Miz's character a lot better and their dynamic made them and their feuds more interesting. Look at Jake the Snake and Lance Archer in AEW if you want a non-WWE reference.

Managers for new talent is fine for a while to establish who they are. But eventually talking is important. If Lance Archer still has Jake Roberts speaking for him in 2028 it'll be pretty old.

ptrg

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 19, 2008
Space Mountain
AFL Club
Melbourne
Epic match between AJ and Nakamura! Better than any of their other wwe matches (wish it got another 5mins)

Also, Miz and Morrison are by far are the most entertaining thing about smackdown (and Raw) right now (Otis going alright too). Morrison's facial expressions and reactions are next level.

EYqd9YzXYAA_gje

I guess we know who is taking the fall?

not that wins and losses matter. Shayna beat Natalya 2 weeks in a row and is not in the match.

Managers for new talent is fine for a while to establish who they are. But eventually talking is important. If Lance Archer still has Jake Roberts speaking for him in 2028 it'll be pretty old.
Not if it works for them though. As long as the duo are interesting I'd have no issues with a wrestler and a manager working together from debut to retirement

ptrg

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 19, 2008
Space Mountain
AFL Club
Melbourne
Forgotten sons gimmick can g&gf. Hate that USA USA respect the troops crap.
You chose a profession as a soldier, got paid doing it, and now return, chip on shoulder, wanting "recognition". Same Yay we heart military heroes junk is creeping in here (Australia) as well.

Yeah it's wrestling, but don't want to watch that garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back