WWE WrestleMania 36, Sun Apr 5th & Mon April 6th, 9am AEST (via tape delay magic)

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion or not surely you can see the profits are from fans established a long time ago and in much larger numbers then than now and other things that don't necessarily indicate fan engagement or growth. And again good on WWE for being able to exploit that. Not criticising their ability to make money or market themselves extremely effectively.

Nostalgia merchandise for people who didn't have the money or nostalgia in 1997-2002.

I guess I’m more frustrated by the doomsdayers on here who over Wrestlemania weekend spend more time whinging about ‘how bad’ it is rather than enjoying that we’ve at least still got new content to enjoy.

You can’t celebrate the fact WrestleMania took place. They risked the health of many of their employees, some even with pre-existing conditions to put on this s**t show in the face of the entire world going into lockdown.

The fact it was s**t is just a cherry on top of any already shitcake.

Not to mention they must’ve insulted a lot of wrestling people by choking a wrestler with workout equipment.

You can’t celebrate the fact WrestleMania took place. They risked the health of many of their employees, some even with pre-existing conditions to put on this s**t show in the face of the entire world going into lockdown.

The fact it was s**t is just a cherry on top of any already shitcake.

Not to mention they must’ve insulted a lot of wrestling people by choking a wrestler with workout equipment.

You don’t think they’d have taken every single precaution?

How didn’t you enjoy that WM? Was very good and very few poor matches.

You don’t think they’d have taken every single precaution?

How didn’t you enjoy that WM? Was very good and very few poor matches.

They really didn’t if Roman Reigns turned up like has been reported. The best precaution they could’ve taken is have nobody turn up at all.

I’ve written my thoughts on the show at length. Zero excitement or fanfare which is more than half the appeal of WrestleMania. Ripley/Flair easily the best match and was excellent. Owens match and Zayn match was passable, but not overly good or worthwhile given the circumstances.

Everything else was either meh, a waste of time or embarrassing to the wrestling business. A 35 minute last man standing match was completely boring, main events that had nothing but finishers in them and matches that were 100% fake and had no grounding in realism or had any pretence of being simulated combat.

I think it has to go down as the worst WrestleMania ever, and it didn’t need to happen.

They really didn’t if Roman Reigns turned up like has been reported. The best precaution they could’ve taken us have nobody turn up at all.

I’ve written my thoughts on the show at length. Zero excitement or fanfare which is more than half the appeal of WrestleMania. Ripley/Flair easily the best match and was excellent. Owens match and Zayn match was passable, but not overly good or worthwhile given the circumstances.

Everything else was either meh, a waste of time or embarrassing to the wrestling business. A 35 minute last man standing match was completely boring, main events that had nothing but finishers in them and matches that were 100% fake and had no grounding in realism or had any pretence of being simulated combat.

I think it has to go down as the worst WrestleMania ever, and it didn’t need to happen.

Some matches were a fraction long and the Edge vs Randy match was that, however I enjoyed most of the matches. It's far from the worst- any WM where Cena main vented was basically as we knew who was winning it was just which boring way he did. Least this time they did spread the load so to speak. The fans were a loss sure but I'm happy enough they went through with it, in these times we need some relief.

What amazes me is the uproar about Rhea Ripley losing to Charlotte.

Ripley has been around for a cup of coffee, and everyone just expects her to get the win over WWE’s most established female star?

Ripley is still so young, and now she actually has a story to tell that can expand and develop her character even more so that when she finally does vanquish the top stars it will mean so much more. She would have gained a heap of credibility hanging with Charlotte and having match of the night.

Why do we just want to rush the young talent into positions they may not be ready for. I’d imagine the majority of the audience is still trying to familiarise themselves with who Ripley even is.

Ripley has been around for a cup of coffee, and everyone just expects her to get the win over WWE’s most established female star?

Ripley is still so young, and now she actually has a story to tell that can expand and develop her character even more so that when she finally does vanquish the top stars it will mean so much more. She would have gained a heap of credibility hanging with Charlotte and having match of the night.

Why do we just want to rush the young talent into positions they may not be ready for. I’d imagine the majority of the audience is still trying to familiarise themselves with who Ripley even is.
Because
Young person fresh on the scene should auto win against old person who has been around for longer.
Cant be having the older star continuing to bury young talent.

she already gained credibility in the lead-up to (pinning Charlotte in a 3 way) and at Survivor Series (by being one of the survivors). She would have gained more credibility by defeating Charlotte at WM. Charlotte didn't need the win.

I completely agree with you. The story they were telling, it made sense for the gutsy challenger to just fall short of the veteran. I just wish that bizarre tap out was more definitive or had more made of it.

It’ll be so much better when Ripley finally does beat her.

Even if you think Ripley should’ve won, surely you’d now see it as a blessing in disguise anyway because if you have a career defining win at the Mania, it’s just going to be usurped by the circumstances of this WrestleMania.

Apparently Rhea has returned home due to expiring work visa, so maybe that came into calculations for the finish?

Edit: there’s conflicting reports on this (if she has returned home)

I’ve heard that as well—- most of the Australian talent seems to have to come home to Australia around the time they get called up to the main roster.

-The IIconic’s had a stint back in Australia between NXT & moving to Smackdown in Jan-March 2018 (Also rumoured to be when they got ‘work done’)

-Buddy Murphy came back to Australia for a few weeks while Crusierweight Champion in March last year before Wrestlemania 35.

I wonder if when they change contracts they have to come home to get new work visas??

Would be bad timing for Rhea if it is the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Rhea has returned home due to expiring work visa, so maybe that came into calculations for the finish?

Edit: there’s conflicting reports on this (if she has returned home)

I'll invite her round this weekend and ask her what the go is

I think Del Rio was WWE Champion when his work visa expired haha. Missed a Raw or two in Mexico.

2008 onward is when WWE really started shooting itself in both feet. John Cena, the refusal to turn him heel, and overall pissy stories and characters was shot one. Roman Reigns and the audience realising this was permanent was shot two. Any new viewers in that time last a year max before realising who always wins when it matters and leave too.

I can understand why they didn’t turn him heel. He was the biggest merch seller in the company, hence more revenue for vince. The issue became that he dropped his edgier tone as the doctor of thugonomics, his finisher changed from the FU to the AA, his promos became bland and predictable. as a hypothetical if Hulk Hogan had stayed with the company during the 90’s there was no way Vince would have turned him due to Hogan’s main stream appeal, and other forms of revenue. If there was another legitimate company,like there was with WCW in Hogan’s time, we could have seen Cena jumping ship for that heel turn.

Cena and Hogan’s WWF/WWE runs were pretty similar. The major difference is Hogan had the options to jump ship and do one of the best heel turns in history. The

Remove this Banner Ad

Back