WWE WrestleMania 37 - Sunday 11th & Monday 12th April 2021 10am AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Decent match, good to see Belair win the gold.

Nothing stood out from night one, though. Could have been just any other PPV.
Solid, but not spectacular, which is what WM should be.

Yeah can’t say it felt like a WrestleMania outside of the fact it was the WrestleMania stage and Cole reminding us every five minutes that it was WrestleMania.

Main event was decent, nothing else really stood out aside from Seth/Cesaro being semi-decent, but still short of what they can produce.

Enjoyed everything aside from the women's tag match and the result of the WWE title match.

Priest looked like a star in the Bunny match. It's being overlooked because of the very good celebrity performance.

The lack of crowds really stood out in building up the matches. Pretty much none of them have that IT factor but without a crowd it’s hard to build anything.

Weird they went with a heel winning the first match it came across like Bunny/ Priest got the biggest pops of the night followed by Cesaro UFO and swing.

Thought the reaction for Drew was underwhelming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn’t like the Belair/Banks build up but they delivered. Belair genuinely getting overwhelmed at the start was a nice moment and they delivered a main event worthy match. The flip side was the Drew/Lashley match. Very good build and decent match, but making it the opening match made it feel less significant.

Credit to Bad Bunny. Wasn’t looking forward to that match at all but he clearly put in a bunch of work and got the crowd into it probably more than any other match on the card.

Overall a good show, but it just didn’t feel like Wrestlemania. As bad as a lot of the product has been recently, I actually think if they took the best bits of the two nights and put together one 3.5-4 hour show it would’ve been a pretty good mania. Hopefully this is the last of the two-nighters.

I watched this on delay tonight - I much prefer watching wrestling of an evening - and noted some thoughts as I went.

- Michael Cole in a poncho may be the greatest image WWE has ever broadcast.
- I reckon it's interesting 1) who you put in the position, and 2) how they fare when you have something like an unexpected rain delay and people needing to do promos. Shane was awful. MVP was amazing. Drew started badly but finished strong. The New Day kind of do their schtick well without actually saying anything. I was surprised they put Belair in that position, and I don't think it was very fair. She went and cut the same promo she's been cutting for a month, and she didn't do it well. Rollins was ok, but I think they could've expected a bit more of someone at his level. And Owens was really good, but that's his strength. None of them was Monty Brown when the Impact Zone caught fire. 16 years later, it's still memorable.
- How long has MVP been carrying the pimp cane? It rules!
- Hilarious watching the commentators standing randomly in front of the announce table cos they didn't put the announce table undercover :D
- I didn't really like Lashley vs McIntyre. The first match after "1 year, 1 month and 1 day" - I actually really loved the selection of this match to start, but it's cos I thought we'd get an 8-minute hoss fight sprint with the right winner to amp up the crowd. Everything that happened after the match started was wrong in my view. And more babyfaces looking like idiots losing by distraction.
- Billie copying Carmella :D However it was the only noteworthy thing from the match.
- What's with ******* ad breaks on a PPV?
- The crowd was dead for Rollins and Cesaro, but I couldn't find out whether they'd just been completely flattened by a rain delay, a long title match, and a dull tag team turmoil - or whether this feud just isn't over. Rollins has sucked since the heel turn, and Cesaro is very much a smark favourite. It was a decent match that was telling a pretty obvious story, which can go one of 2 ways - in this case, nothing really meant anything until Rollins had done the swing.
- Didn't mind the tag match. There wasn't much to it. But they're clearly setting Omos up for something huge.
- Shane's punches have somehow gotten worse. What nepotism when this prick is on the card and Bayley, Nakamura, Lee et al aren't. This sucked. We go through a ******* lot of bullshit to see Shane fall/jump off something. The slow-mo's show that this one was actually pretty close to disaster as well, Braun didn't give him enough upward/outward momentum. You're better off just completely faking the push and letting the guy control his own dive.
- Tough weekend to be Tom Phillips. Even Bayley is doing intro's ahead of him!
- I didn't know next year's WM was in Jerry dome. Dallas is one of the city's I'd go to a WM in, but I'll be way too poor next year (and given our vaccination roll out I doubt we're going anywhere soon in any case.)
- Did... did Bad Bunny steal the show? His selling has come along 1000 miles since the first shot he took. His strikes looked good (although I suspect he was throwing some potatoes). The falcon arrow. The Canadian Destroyer hit perfectly. And *, he literally did stuff that actual wrestlers can't do, such as headbutting a rope. That knocks Enzo Amore into next week! Morrison, and particularly the Miz are such great workers. I'm sure when the brass come to you and say you're going to lose to a rapper you don't care, cos it's like Zayn and Owens with Bryan's first match back - it must feel amazing that the safety of your work is thought so highly of that they'll put you in a match like this. And while people were a bit critical of the run that JoMo had when he came back, he's doing some good work and looks like he's having fun goofing around.
- Sasha vs Bianca was good, but... I dunno - we've seen both women have dozens of better matches than this. Cole botching the finish certainly didn't help. Goodamn that hair whip spot was brutal, especially the graze it left on Sasha.

This was a really awful night of WM. The fact that, IMO opinion, the show was stolen by Bad Bunny and Michael Cole in a poncho doesn't reflect well on the event. Last night's MCW show was probably the weakest of those that I've been to, but I'd take that 10 times out of 10 over this dross.

Boy you're a negative bunch.

Women's tag aside, thought that was a pretty great show. Bianca vs Sasha was outstanding; Lashley winning is a good result, he's earned a longer reign than to just be a transitional champ; Bad Bunny was super impressive; Cesaro and Seth was good; Shane vs Braun meh but tearing the cage open was cool.

Good fun overall IMO.

Yeah it was actually a good show minus the tag turmoil match.

They should have opened with Cesaro and Rollins to get the baby face win first up. Drew vs Lashley was pretty good but it just felt off with the timing especially the result.

Hardest thing is for mania for so long has been built around Taker and HHH coming back but if you take into account for a lot of time it was heavily revolved around Hogan Rock Austin Cena, it makes it very hard to live up to.

The quality of matches are better than ever overall but it doesn’t have the “Mania” feel to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back