2nds WWT Eagles vs Port Adelaide - Round 8 @ Woodville

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at the ground today near the wing. Can't add a lot different to what others have said. My opinion of Carliles game was a bit better than others. Thought his body positioning was good. Won the one on ones. Didn't generate any run from the backline though attacking through the middle didn't seem to be part of our game plan.

Saw Howard's report from another angle on the news. Could be in trouble.
Ah, s**t.

From the TV angle, it looked like he was trying to shake him off and accidentally kicked him the stomach.
A bit careless, but not intentional.
Although, as I type that, I suppose that could net someone a one game ban. :(

I hope Butch didn't listen to our podcast before the game

:eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are problems in Magpie land and it's hard not to blame the system. Eventually the players thru frustration
or helplessness end up giving what they do. I don't blame the players I blame KH
come at me.

When the Magpies changed from being a SANFL side to a AFL reserves side, my initial reaction was 'right finally a chance to build a structure like Box Hill or Geelong VFL sides where we can do some really top notch intensive player development and training.

It's hard to do that properly when the SANFL have hamstrung us by being so narky on our 'top up' players but it seems to me that the AFL players aren't being developed properly. Lots of players are coming and going from the AFL side and not having a solid idea of what to do. Even our successes seem random. Take Aaron Young for example who has been bobbing back and forwards between the SANFL and AFL sides as a midfielder and finally seems to have found a niche in the Angus Monfries role in our forward line. Karl Amon is another player who doesn't really carve it up in the SANFL and then comes into the AFL side, struggles, and then comes back down again. Where's his game going and who is looking after it?

I watched the first half of the Adelaide vs Geelong game and watching Mitch McGovern and Wayne Milera run around for the Crows in their first year it made me want to cry in frustration at our very ordinary player development. Was Darcy Byrne-Jones always this good and was being in the SANFL side holding him back?

And you are right Byron this sad state of affairs ultimately is Ken Hinkley's responsibility. I know Janus is banging on in his thread about the gameplan but you can have the greatest plan in the world but you have to have the troops with the skills to execute them, and this is where we're struggling. (yes injuries, Ryder and Monfries etc but if we had decent list management instead of 57 half back flankers..we'd have been able to cope with them better.) Lots of people are critical of Cornes but who the hell appointed him and on what grounds? The Magpies coach should always be recruited as the best available development coach in Australia, not a good bloke with Port Adelaide heritage.

I mean if Howard gets rubbed out then we are going to have no recognised AFL listed ruckmen available next week to take on Nic Natanui. How on earth did it come to this?

Have had the pleasure of playing on McGregor. He's a gun, best player from the Hill in my time. Only his limited physical stature and timing (when it was more about athletes than Caleb Daniel footballers) prevented him from going AFL IMO.

Anyhow, you don't kick him by accident, he isn't very big. Howard in trouble.

When the Magpies changed from being a SANFL side to a AFL reserves side, my initial reaction was 'right finally a chance to build a structure like Box Hill or Geelong VFL sides where we can do some really top notch intensive player development and training.

It's hard to do that properly when the SANFL have hamstrung us by being so narky on our 'top up' players but it seems to me that the AFL players aren't being developed properly. Lots of players are coming and going from the AFL side and not having a solid idea of what to do. Even our successes seem random. Take Aaron Young for example who has been bobbing back and forwards between the SANFL and AFL sides as a midfielder and finally seems to have found a niche in the Angus Monfries role in our forward line. Karl Amon is another player who doesn't really carve it up in the SANFL and then comes into the AFL side, struggles, and then comes back down again. Where's his game going and who is looking after it?

I watched the first half of the Adelaide vs Geelong game and watching Mitch McGovern and Wayne Milera run around for the Crows in their first year it made me want to cry in frustration at our very ordinary player development. Was Darcy Byrne-Jones always this good and was being in the SANFL side holding him back?

And you are right Byron this sad state of affairs ultimately is Ken Hinkley's responsibility. I know Janus is banging on in his thread about the gameplan but you can have the greatest plan in the world but you have to have the troops with the skills to execute them, and this is where we're struggling. (yes injuries, Ryder and Monfries etc but if we had decent list management instead of 57 half back flankers..we'd have been able to cope with them better.) Lots of people are critical of Cornes but who the hell appointed him and on what grounds? The Magpies coach should always be recruited as the best available development coach in Australia, not a good bloke with Port Adelaide heritage.

I mean if Howard gets rubbed out then we are going to have no recognised AFL listed ruckmen available next week to take on Nic Natanui. How on earth did it come to this?
I could have said it better myself.
Seriously because of the draconian hurdles about our top up players - we are not going to develop players to their potential. KT needs to fire up and demand a fairer deal. Players careers are in jeopardy because of the weakness in our top up players. I honesty feel that Butcher's career has been burned by the 'new Magpies'.

It came to this because of some basically inept recruiting and list building. It is not just Chad Cornes who should be in the gun. Chad has been at the Magpies helm for a few months but before him Hocking had limited success develop players through the SANFL. It pains me to admit this but the Crows are all over us in terms of recruiting developing younger players, you can add Lever and Cameron to McGovern and Milera. What really hurts is that Milera is a product of the Port Indigenous programme.

As for not having a recognised ruckman available next week that goes back to Ken Hinkley and his Coaching Panel who held the mistaken belief that they could get away with Lobbe backed by a couple of raw kids just they did in 2014. There was always a chance that Ryder would get suspended yet we took no insurance and instead selected short arses, many of who will not be on our list in two years, as rookies. In fact if you look back over our Rookie Lists for the past five years we have had just two players, Daniel Webb and Brent Renouf, who were over 190cm on it. Clearly our list and those associated with building it need attention.

You are right Jim, either there is something sadly amiss with the development of our AFL list or we are not picking the right players in the first place. I suspect the truth is a combination of the two.

Have had the pleasure of playing on McGregor. He's a gun, best player from the Hill in my time. Only his limited physical stature and timing (when it was more about athletes than Caleb Daniel footballers) prevented him from going AFL IMO.

Anyhow, you don't kick him by accident, he isn't very big. Howard in trouble.
Bulls**t. He grabbed Howard's leg. When you try to remove your leg from being grabbed it's nearly impossible not to scrape it down the other guys body. Howard didn't kick him, he was just put in an awkward position and the umpire should have recognised that.
Although I agree with the being in trouble bit. The SANFOOL will just look at it in the worst way they can and threaten Port with a long suspension for Dougal if he doesn't plead guilty.

Last edited:
Well there was some good stuff in there but a lot of bad. Very disappointing last 3 qtrs.

Summerton brilliant and Colquhoun really good, but the rest meh. Howard probably the only other player out there that could hold his head high.
Was at the game, Summerton a class above. The goal umpire at the southern end left his guide dog in the rooms a couple of shockers the Eagles way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back