2nds WWT Eagles vs Port Adelaide - Semi Final @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Young is at least as good a forward as Neade and Johnson and a better forward than Impey. Should at least rookie him.

Irra has been one of the success stories of getting our players all in one place. His development has been fantastic. He plays football like the West Indies used to play cricket. He's a joy to watch.

An afl level competitive irra is exactly what I would love to see in our afl side. Exactly type of players we should be targeting with rookie and late Nat draft picks.

Austin played pretty well I thought

Wundke was lucky to even get the few touches he did thanks to the ump

Austin does need to clean a few things up. A bit prone to going full pelt when the ball comes in quick. Which works great sometimes and other times not so well

Also Emmanuel Irra most improved player on our list, could be one of these players who come from nowhere to make it.
Yep so clean below his knees. His decision making under pressure and his footskills. I don't know what his DE% was but
I don't remember him missing a target.
Ripper lad too.

To those who regularly watch the Magpies, does AhChee lack self confidence as he has demonstrated above average skills at sanfl level which have not carried on at AFL level. Or is he one of those players that has been pigeon holed for one position in the AFL side and failed to own it and therefore never given long enough, unlike some other players.

To those who regularly watch the Magpies, does AhChee lack self confidence as he has demonstrated above average skills at sanfl level which have not carried on at AFL level. Or is he one of those players that has been pigeon holed for one position in the AFL side and failed to own it and therefore never given long enough, unlike some other players.

I suspect it's a bit of both with Arch, apart from one extended run a year or so back he has been playing for his spot most weeks, and that would eventually effect the confidence of anyone.
I believe has scored at least one goal in most of the AFL games he has played, and like a number of others think he would have been much better value than eg Jars on sat night.

The way Jimmy Toumpas played today (and all year) I could see him as the next captain of the Magpies. Even if that meant keeping him around on a base/rookie wage for a year or two.

Never thought I'd say that.

Won't happen, plus I'd rather see a traditional SANFL contracted player to captain after Summo, like Sharrad. But my brother works with Summo and he told my brother that he's not leaving any time soon and even joked that he'd like to get to 300 games

I suspect it's a bit of both with Arch, apart from one extended run a year or so back he has been playing for his spot most weeks, and that would eventually effect the confidence of anyone.
I believe has scored at least one goal in most of the AFL games he has played, and like a number of others think he would have been much better value than eg Jars on sat night.

Appreciated.:thumbsu: Certainly worth persevering with.

I'd like to add that I'm STILL worried about Drew, based on that game. He looked supremely slow, and just gets lost on the outside. He's going to have to become a Josh Kennedy, Jobe Watson type inside mid by the looks at the moment. He executes what he does generally cleanly, especially in front of goal, but I'm not sure where he'll fit in an AFL team at the moment.

It'll be intriguing to see how we use him in preseason, and how he develops.

Plus our rookies all played well today.

Eddy does what Eddy wants.
Lienert played fairly well in tandem with Austin against their tall fat and shitty forwards.
Hewett was really good playing out of position - sometimes playing on Wundke.
Ladhams wasn't quite so good, but if he had stickier hands he would have had a few more shots on goal
Irra was very strong and clean at the contests and continued to hunt all day

It would be silly to think they we can only bring back Marshall, Bonner, Neade, and Howard for the GF, oh, no... how will we survive.
Supports my view that Hewett should be retained for 2018 as he has developed nicely...interested in the views of others but I see plenty of upside and he also seems to have developed physically...there is talent in the family genes!

I'd like to add that I'm STILL worried about Drew, based on that game. He looked supremely slow, and just gets lost on the outside. He's going to have to become a Josh Kennedy, Jobe Watson type inside mid by the looks at the moment. He executes what he does generally cleanly, especially in front of goal, but I'm not sure where he'll fit in an AFL team at the moment.

Man it's been a LONG season for a 18 year old, give the kid a bit of slack. Even Atley and SPP have hit a wall! We took Drew a little early, but with our final selection at the draft table and this time last year our biggest deficiency was inside mids and support for Ollie.

I think we have still been exposed this year against Adelaide and West Coast from memory for dropping the Inside Mid contests, Showdown and Final!

Who had the better year, Drew or Palmer? If Drew was producing this in three years time, like Jessie is, then I would be concerned, but not first year in a Professional Environment where he has trained all day every day for close to the last 11 months!

Supports my view that Hewett should be retained for 2018 as he has developed nicely...interested in the views of others but I see plenty of upside and he also seems to have developed physically...there is talent in the family genes!
I would definitely be keeping Hewitt on the Tookie list if he will sign on again. Snelling also, if not Elevate, but could easily see the powers that be making the economically driven call to part ways with an Undersized Inside Mid, a position we are building a bit of depth in.

Hewitt is the Utility I want us taking with Jacko compensation pick, like Kruger/Kluger from South Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is an almost player

Almost breaks a tackle and almost gets a great handpass away.

Does lots of very good work in tight, I think his work in close in hugely underrated in a defensive kind of way. If he doesn't get a clean disposal out from a pack neither does anyone else. But just doesn't turn his pack bullocking into as many clear clean takeaways as he possibly could. It's still a strength but needs to just get that extra 2% there and he would be there as an elite inside mid.

Problem number two though , just doesn't win enough outside ball. If he isn't picking the ball up off the ground himself he doesn't seem to touch the ball. You would think he must be invisible to his team mates but obviously he doesn't work hard enough or smart enough often enough.

We've put so many years into him now I'm really not sure we continue even though I really really want him to make it at our club , and think that he might be able to at some point , we just can't put that many years into developing players unless they are a super special rare case. I would much rather have him than delist him or pick 88, but it's probably best for everyone if he leaves and goes somewhere and gets games.

Who had the better year, Drew or Palmer?
Palmer's year has been substantially better.

Regardless I'm not writing him off, I'm just re-iterating my concerns around Drew that have been evident most of the year. Now the question for him will be how does he grow over this preseason, hopefully he grows a lot and we're sitting here early next year discussing him as ready for AFL. Fingers crossed. Right now though as early as it is, he is looking a lot like a young Andrew Moore, which is a shame as I think we all have high hopes for him. I'm not just going to have zero opinion on him because he's young, it is fair to look at how he's tracking and make comment on it, as long as it isn't a firm judgement I'm making, because making a conclusive judgement would be unfair.

Drew is like , the least concerned I've ever been about any prospect ever lol.

Every side he has ever played in he just does what they need. Oh you have mids and need me to play hbf? Sure , I'll do that. Need me to be a high possession coalface winner? I'll do that ? Float across hff? I'll do that. The kid can play. As I've said elsewhere he is a naturally defensive minded mid , quick hands who will make anyteam he is in better.

The only question is how good he can be? Just an ok component guy who does his job or very very good player?

Is an almost player

Almost breaks a tackle and almost gets a great handpass away.

Does lots of very good work in tight, I think his work in close in hugely underrated in a defensive kind of way. If he doesn't get a clean disposal out from a pack neither does anyone else. But just doesn't turn his pack bullocking into as many clear clean takeaways as he possibly could. It's still a strength but needs to just get that extra 2% there and he would be there as an elite inside mid.

Problem number two though , just doesn't win enough outside ball. If he isn't picking the ball up off the ground himself he doesn't seem to touch the ball. You would think he must be invisible to his team mates but obviously he doesn't work hard enough or smart enough often enough.

We've put so many years into him now I'm really not sure we continue even though I really really want him to make it at our club , and think that he might be able to at some point , we just can't put that many years into developing players unless they are a super special rare case. I would much rather have him than delist him or pick 88, but it's probably best for everyone if he leaves and goes somewhere and gets games.

Many thanks:thumbsu: Watching the game yesterday on tv, that stood out two or three times.

A shame really that he may go elsewhere but as always, potential can be expensive and illusive.

I liked Achees game yesterday he shows that he is a very good player at sanfl level but he will be one of those players who will not stand out at AFL level.
Unfortunate but he is to slow and does not have that edge that demands AFL selection

They won their first 2 games of the year. Drew the third. Lost their next 9 to finish bottom of the 4-team comp.

Proceeded to sweep the finals series, with back-to-back wins over 10-0-2 Carlton (inc. challenge final).

The year after they almost won it again from 4th (6-team comp), but lost the challenge final to minor premiers Collingwood after beating them the week before.

What a hoot.
Let me guess. That counts as an AFL/VFL premiership while our 36 SANFL premierships count for nought.

Austin played pretty well I thought

Wundke was lucky to even get the few touches he did thanks to the ump

Austin does need to clean a few things up. A bit prone to going full pelt when the ball comes in quick. Which works great sometimes and other times not so well
Thought I'd accidentally switched on the Slowdown when watching Wundke line up for goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back