Resource www.footyjumpers.com

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're interested in doing the research I'd be happy to include them.
Port, North, Norwood, Woodville & Central are done.
If you would like to pick one of the others, work with their official historian to go through old photos to determine what the designs were, and which years they were used in.
Once you have all the research for all the clubs I'd be happy to put this information on the website and credit you as the contributor to the site.
Yes I would happy to find some old photos

For West Adelaide Bloods
ok the first Jumper from 1892 Seems to have different Jumpers that I assume is red and Black and have different designs So you can always just puck the one you want or u can do all of em.

Attachments

• E76D27A8-E61C-49F3-AC00-B84806938C85.jpeg
    E76D27A8-E61C-49F3-AC00-B84806938C85.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 153
For West Adelaide Bloods
ok the first Jumper from 1892 Seems to have different Jumpers that I assume is red and Black and have different designs So you can always just puck the one you want or u can do all of em.
Wests I was reliably informed always wore Red & Black in the SANFL from joining in 1897.
Their original SANFL uniform looked something like this:
West-Adelaide-Uniform1.png
The image you have may be of their Magenta & White colours before joining, when they were in the Adelaide & Suburban Competition.

They were still wearing it in 1911
1911_West_Adelaide_Championship_of_Australia_team.jpg

They've worn
Red jumpers with Black WA
Black & Red Stripes (twice)
Black with Red Sash (some with Red Collars)

They've had three logos on their jumpers.
Full standing wolf front on
Wolf head facing left
Current Minnesota Timberwolves rip off

Last edited:

Wests I was reliably informed always wore Red & Black in the SANFL from joining in 1897.
Their original SANFL uniform looked something like this:
View attachment 810137
The image you have may be of their Magenta & White colours before joining, when they were in the Adelaide & Suburban Competition.

They were still wearing it in 1911
1911_West_Adelaide_Championship_of_Australia_team.jpg

They've worn
Red jumpers with Black WA
Black & Red Stripes (twice)
Black with Red Sash (some with Red Collars)

They've had three logos on their jumpers.
Full standing wolf front on
Wolf head facing left
Current Minnesota Timberwolves rip off
Thanks Mate I’ll try find some more photos. If you want can you update some of the SANFL guernseys you’ve already done and make the 2017,2018 and 2019 jumpers

Hi Mero,
Great site, love your work.
I noticed in the "VFL/AFL uniforms by Season" section, Rd.5 2014, Geelong and Hawthorn are both wearing white shorts.
https://www.footyjumpers.com/2014R5.htm
However, I believe Geelong wore navy shorts in that game.

Now fixed.
I had fixed this but not updated my spreadsheet.
When I recently ran through it again to create the html with the game details link, it took the old information.
Thanks for the heads up

How long did it take you to make this site?
The research took between 1996 and 2008 before I was happy that all the years from inception to 2008 were complete.
Most of the research into the smaller details was done by Dave from www.hardballget.net, aka Rainier Wolfcastle
He has an extensive collection of Footy Records and went through clubs one by one noting smaller changes, especially from the 1970s when jumpers began to change on a regular basis.
From there it was maintenance as new jumpers were released each year.
Usually I add 50-60 designs per year.
From 2017-19 I added the uniforms worn in each game.

Last edited:
Hey Mero. I just purchased the new Saints' away jersey for 2020. In the inside of the collar it has an interesting tidbit about the culmination of St Kilda's colours being that of South Yarra's red and white and the prior St Kilda FC's black and white. Is there any validity to this? I tried going through trove but found nothing unfortunately.
Interestingly, I did find this though in the Wagga Daily Advertiser 5th September 1939.
Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 11.07.03 pm.png
Edit: Ewww, why is 'colours' written the American way?

Last edited:
Here is the Age from the next Monday
This article will open directly under a photo from the game.
It looks to me that they wore their normal jumpers and did not swap to South, who at the time were wearing their Vee jumpers.

StKilda FC regard their incorporation as being in 1873.
It may be that the current club is the merger of South Yarra and StKilda original clubs.
This would explain the Red & Black colours, which would be a mix of those clubs colours.
There were clubs in South Yarra & StKilda as early as the 1860s, however I was unaware that they merged.
South Yarra's Wikipedia certainly tells the same story.

Last edited:
So from scouring wikipedia and trove, I think this is an accurate timeline of how the current St Kilda FC came to be. I'll have to borrow Penning's to sure some of this up
1858 - Both South Yarra and Old St Kilda FC form
1873 - South Yarra and old St Kilda merge to form the current day St Kilda
1875 - St Kilda amalgamates with University
1888 - St Kilda merges with Prahran

Do you have any information on the designs and colours of each of these club's guernseys? Especially South Yarra and Old St Kilda?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So from scouring wikipedia and trove, I think this is an accurate timeline of how the current St Kilda FC came to be. I'll have to borrow Penning's to sure some of this up
1858 - Both South Yarra and Old St Kilda FC form
1873 - South Yarra and old St Kilda merge to form the current day St Kilda
1875 - St Kilda amalgamates with University
1888 - St Kilda merges with Prahran

Do you have any information on the designs and colours of each of these club's guernseys? Especially South Yarra and Old St Kilda?
All descriptions of jumpers that I know of before the 1870s were of only the colours.
It wasn't until Essendon started wearing a Sash in 1875 that there was much variation.
I would say most likely South Yarra would have been Red & White hoops, and StKilda Black & White Hoops.
However, that is based on best guess, not on documentation.
One support for my theory would be the first StKilda jumpers being Red & Black hoops.
In the 1875 edition of the The Footballer they are listed as:
Colors—Blue knickerbockers, scarlet and black striped jersey, hose and cap.
(Stripes in those days were horizontal, not vertical)

Last edited:
I have no plans to do them, in same way players wear them in the AFL and often they're a little different.
I've usually gone with the jumper most players are wearing.
One thing that does annoy me is when jumpers are not uniform in design across the two options.
This is only because the manufacturer hasn't considered the two options when designing the sleeveless.
The Cotton On sleeveless jumpers made for AFLW have an accent stripe across the chest which is missing in the long sleeves.
(As shown in the Brisbane image above)
The Bulldogs have a similar problem with their jumpers.
The player on the right has no Red shoulders, the rest do.
1581697188577.png

You're right, I won't be adding them, but the Bulldogs rainbow gradient thing is not that difficult.
straight line, diamond, then straight line and half a hexagon where it meets the diamond vertically.
Change the lines to outlines
convert to a compound path and rainbow gradient.

I looks a bit like a schematic for a circuit board.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back