Resource www.footyjumpers.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
As some of you know, I have a site devoted to the history of footy jumpers.
www.footyjumpers.com

In trying to improve the site, I have added in the uniforms from the First Kit template to one of the teams; University. (Because it was easy, and I didn't think anyone would notice unless I directed them there)

Could I ask people to review what I've done, and see what they think of the new template for the jumpers.
Obviously, the jumpers are there on the University page, click on them to see the new template.

I was thinking this thread could also be used for ideas, ammendments and anything else people would like to add to the site.

Re: www.footyjumpers.com

University-Kit-1912.gif

I'd get rid of the link on top of the jumper, i can understand why you put it there, but I feel it may stop people using your images.

In my opinion I'd maybe keep that as is, but also have a separate large picture of the jumper like all the other teams are atm, with footyjumpers.com down the bottom

I like it, it looks good (and I think the watermark was necessary too). It'd be great to eventually have all (or at least ones from the last 30-40 years) of the full kits shown, with the shorts, socks and caps. Well done.

Though I noticed the collar is different on the jumper than it is on the full uniform (one has a blue collar, the other has black with a blue trim).

Fixed the collars.
I have done South Melbourne until they moved to Sydney.

PS Sepul, Caps were generally not worn in the VFL as jumpers and socks had become available to distinguish one team from another.
Caps were very much an early days of football thing, so some players continued to wear them in later years, but more because they thought it was part of their uniform, not neccessarily the clubs.

If all the information was built around the image a la Chris's site, then perhaps the extra information would not be necessary. Obviously you have mentioned that you aren't the best at website designing, however it would be great to see some more interactive features, such as better linkage between guernseys (i.e. other guernseys from this year) and perhaps a rate this guernsey feature, where we could see some interesting resutls.

I do prefer the full kit look, however I agree that the watermark may deter some. I haven't seen any other major sites that do it.

I can remember you doing a template for some of the older Pies guernseys maybe two or three years back, it was basically just a border in team colours, the year and footyjumpers.com in the corner, yes?

University-Kit-1912.gif

I'd get rid of the link on top of the jumper, i can understand why you put it there, but I feel it may stop people using your images.

In my opinion I'd maybe keep that as is, but also have a separate large picture of the jumper like all the other teams are atm, with footyjumpers.com down the bottom

If all the information was built around the image a la Chris's site, then perhaps the extra information would not be necessary. Obviously you have mentioned that you aren't the best at website designing, however it would be great to see some more interactive features, such as better linkage between guernseys (i.e. other guernseys from this year) and perhaps a rate this guernsey feature, where we could see some interesting resutls.

I do prefer the full kit look, however I agree that the watermark may deter some. I haven't seen any other major sites that do it.

I do like the update, especially the full uniform than just the guernseys, but I agree with the guys, need to move the watermark, it takes away from the designs.

I don't know if you know about this website but it may be a good basis for the ideas Gibbsy mentioned (i agree with him about better linkage but I like having more info about the designs so the context of the designs and changes made to them are there, as well as the design). http://www.nhluniforms.com/. The site is a bit more detailed and allows users to either look for designs by season or by team, but it also allows you to give more information about the guernseys or the season itself to give context to the designs and changes that were made.

I can remember you doing a template for some of the older Pies guernseys maybe two or three years back, it was basically just a border in team colours, the year and footyjumpers.com in the corner, yes?

Well, the thing that annoyed me was when people like Deer Park Footy Club, the Herald Sun, The AFL, Fremantle media and other just went ahead and downloaded the graphics and used them, without any reference to the site.
I am not asking for money, nor grandstanding about how great this whole thing is, but it's just common courtesy to ask permission.
Then, the other thing is if people are smart enough, the jumpers are still there, and people can link to them sans watermark, they just can't link to the new template.
EG: Right Click on the stand alone jumper, Properties, Copy and Paste Address.
South-5.gif

South-Kit-1932.gif

The jumpers still don't have the watermark on them.

I understand the problem in people "stealing" your images which obviously took so long to make. Are you flattered when big companies i.e. Herald Sun do that, or are you just annoyed?

I understand the problem in people "stealing" your images which obviously took so long to make. Are you flattered when big companies i.e. Herald Sun do that, or are you just annoyed?

At Craegus, yeah I've seen that site before mate. Even their design isn't that pretty although it does a good job and is very comprehensive.

I do like the update, especially the full uniform than just the guernseys, but I agree with the guys, need to move the watermark, it takes away from the designs.

I don't know if you know about this website but it may be a good basis for the ideas Gibbsy mentioned (i agree with him about better linkage but I like having more info about the designs so the context of the designs and changes made to them are there, as well as the design). http://www.nhluniforms.com/. The site is a bit more detailed and allows users to either look for designs by season or by team, but it also allows you to give more information about the guernseys or the season itself to give context to the designs and changes that were made.

I have discussed this with Andrew who made that site.
He has far more time on his hands, and far more technical ability to make the site do the things you're talking about.
I do like the years thing, and this would be something I'd like to do,especially the early years.

At Craegus, yeah I've seen that site before mate. Even their design isn't that pretty although it does a good job and is very comprehensive.

I am flattered when they write to me and ask if they can use them.
I am annoyed when I find them in a book (Fremantle Media), in a banner ad for tickets to a Heritage Game (AFL) or in someone's column in the newspaper (Herald Sun)
All they needed to do was ask and I would have given them the print ready artwork. (In most cases)
Which I have done with Essendon, Melbourne, Sydney and Western Bulldogs & Adelaide a few months ago to name a few.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey that's an idea - have logos which just say "MERO" or "www.footyjumpers.com". Convert the AFL logo to read "MERO" and see how it goes :)

The problem with putting the watermark or URL underneath the jumper or on the back where there's a plain colour, is that it's easy to just fill it so you can't see it, if they're going to be devious about it. It's a damn sight harder when it's over the edges of the jumper.

Mero, I'd be happy to lend a hand (thanks for the info about the caps too!), but my HTML skills are pretty basic. But I don't mind doing some sort of header image.

Ohhhh, what I would give for some Fish and Chips.
They just serve English style grease over here.
Grilled Whiting, Minimum chips, 2 Steamed Dim Sims, 2 Potato Cakes.
If someone could do a care package, that would be lovely.

Just done all the Fitzroy jumpers with the new template.
Also fixed/standardised the colours where I had made a few mistakes.

Mero, you might want to look at 1914-41

Also not nessecarily a jumper change, but the roys wore yellow shorts in 75

[YOUTUBE]aXXHMrdKcoY[/YOUTUBE]

New template looks great, the shorts and socks are a nice addition.

Mero, you might want to look at 1914-41

Also not nessecarily a jumper change, but the roys wore yellow shorts in 75

[YOUTUBE]aXXHMrdKcoY[/YOUTUBE]

The Roys wore Blue at Home and Gold Away.
That game was at the Western Oval.

I've fixed the 1914 jumper too.

PS How good are those 1974 socks?

Looking food Mero, I think seeing the Shorts and socks evolve for clubs will make this an even bigger resource then it currently is:thumbsu:

Couple of Question:

1: Do you plan to include long sleeve jumpers one day? (Eg Brisbane Bears sleeves with extra detail).

2: When does GWS get a section? (As they did play in the AFL pre season comp this year)

Love your website and is always a fantastic resource for me:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Looking food Mero, I think seeing the Shorts and socks evolve for clubs will make this an even bigger resource then it currently is:thumbsu:

Couple of Question:

1: Do you plan to include long sleeve jumpers one day? (Eg Brisbane Bears sleeves with extra detail).

2: When does GWS get a section? (As they did play in the AFL pre season comp this year)

Love your website and is always a fantastic resource for me:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
I have not planned to incude long sleeve versions of jumpers where they were rarely used. Mostly this is because it usually doesn't add very much to the overall graphic. Brisbane would be the exception to this rule.

GWS are a VFL team that played in the NAB Cup to make up numbers.
They are not a senior team, in the same way several WA & SA teams played in the Night series in he 70s, but they were not VFL teams at the time.
Who knows they might never end up playing in the AFL. One of the existing teams might go out of business and merge with them before they play a game.

The Roys wore Blue at Home and Gold Away.
That game was at the Western Oval.

I've fixed the 1914 jumper too.

PS How good are those 1974 socks?

Sorry for doubting you, changes look good though. & as for the socks,....er the less said the better

Remove this Banner Ad

Back