Resource www.footyjumpers.com

Remove this Banner Ad

something else i wanted to ask about was this one:
View attachment 763689

I was just wondering where you sourced the design from. the only picture i've been able to find of this jumper is this one:

View attachment 763690

and the NMFC monogram looks a bit different. would you just put this down to inconsistency between jumpers?
They have (had) one of these jumpers at the club.
When I interviewed Father Gerard Dowling at the club in about 2007 he showed it to me, and I traced that image to make the jumper

Mero issue with the north away jumpers page. Under 2000 it says return to four stripes yet the image shows five.
The correct image is now loaded, with four stripes.
You might need to reload it if it's in your cache, it's the same file name.

Hey Mero. I just realised that the all of the pre 90s home Saints kits are laking the unrefined original crest, instead using today's modern iteration.

This also came across my mind recently, but do you know the reasons as to how each club chose their colours?
From a bit of research I've found out that the then very catholic North chose blue and white to represent the Church and the Virgin Mary, the then Protestant Footscray chose red, white and blue to represent the empire, and Hawthorn chose yellow and brown to represent their thriving brick making industry. Are you aware of any other reasons?

Hey Mero. I just realised that the all of the pre 90s home Saints kits are laking the unrefined original crest, instead using today's modern iteration.

This also came across my mind recently, but do you know the reasons as to how each club chose their colours?
From a bit of research I've found out that the then very catholic North chose blue and white to represent the Church and the Virgin Mary, the then Protestant Footscray chose red, white and blue to represent the empire, and Hawthorn chose yellow and brown to represent their thriving brick making industry. Are you aware of any other reasons?
I know Melbourne and Geelong both used navy (and Carlton no doubt) as it was the cheapest and easiest dye to put into wool at the time - which is why there are a lot of old sporting teams with white and navy

Very little to do with anything other than availability of designs and dyes.
In fact, I would argue against all of the descriptions you've given.
Footscray added Red to their Blue and White jumpers to honour the Footscray rowing club who won 4 Grey cups
Hawthorn started in Blue, with Red & White Braces, then merged with Boorondara and wore Essendon jumpers for a while.
They went to Blue & Gold before joining the VFA where they were asked to change to avoid a clash With Williamstown.
They adopted Brown as it was seen as unique in the sporting world.
I would think religious attributions would have come after years of using the colours.

Dark Blue, and Dark Blue and White.
These were the two options that didn't strip the lanolin which is naturally in wool, and gives it it's waterproof capacity.
So Essendon, Carlton, Hawthorn, Melbourne & Richmond all started in Dark Blue
Geelong, North, Footscray & South all started in Blue& White.
Only StKilda, of the earliest clubs wore alternate colours.
StKilda does not have the records from when these were ordered, or from where, however their original colours were Black & Red.
Fitzroy started in the 1880s when canvas jumpers had become more common, and these could be dyed in any colour.
They chose the masculine colour of Dark Red (Maroon).
Collingwood began even later, and based their colours of the South Australian State jumpers.

Last edited:

It would appear I made the corrections to the logo last year, then uploaded the jumpers again in Feb of this year.
Unfortunately I've uploaded the old versions.
This has now been corrected.
You might need to clear your cache.
The logo used is the same as this one.

PS There were versions used with two Red scrolls in the 1950s.
However, these were in the minority when compared to those with the Red, White and Black scroll, so I have presented them with that.

StKilda-1957.gif

North and Sydney sponsor pages updated to reflect the new sponsor logos on the back of jumpers

North-Sponsors-Backs.gif

Swans-Sponsors-Backs.gif

Hey Mero, Hope all is well! Just had a look at the MFC sponsor page and notice that for 2018- the Zurich sponsorship hasnt been updated. The Royal Blue jumper has the royal blue Zurich Box, the rest of the guernseys (Home, RedBack, Indigenous, ANZAC, etc) have the Navy Zurich Box. This applies for 2018 & 2019.

Attachments

• 2018 Clash Royal Blue PI - #31 Bailey Fritcsh - Front.JPG
    2018 Clash Royal Blue PI - #31 Bailey Fritcsh - Front.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 2018 Home PI - Sublimated #12 Dom Tyson - Front.JPG
    2018 Home PI - Sublimated #12 Dom Tyson - Front.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 138
Hey Mero, Hope all is well! Just had a look at the MFC sponsor page and notice that for 2018- the Zurich sponsorship hasnt been updated. The Royal Blue jumper has the royal blue Zurich Box, the rest of the guernseys (Home, RedBack, Indigenous, ANZAC, etc) have the Navy Zurich Box. This applies for 2018 & 2019.
Thanks for that.
I would say it was one of the files that reverted to an old version.
It was also missing some ahg logos.
Both the front and backs are updated.

Greetings from a rookie. Love the site, visit it all the time.
However, I have noticed a few inaccuracies:

Brisbane’s burgundy guernsey, worn in rounds 7 and 12 1987, had yellow cuffs and collar, not burgundy.
BB 1987 7.png BB 1987 12.png

And, Footscray wore all-blue socks in away games in 1979.
FO 1979 blue socks.png

Cheers, Lemon Boi :lemon:

Here are pictures of St Kilda from the book “The Clubs: The Complete History of Every Club in the VFL/AFL”, pages 328 and 329.
SK 1.JPG SK 2.JPG
The heading is 1945 – 1955 and the guernseys seem to show an all-black back with white sleeves, a design not apparent on FootyJumpers.

An article below the first image states that St Kilda had adopted the nickname “Panthers” in 1945. Presumably the all-black back was brought in then and worn until 1952. They had certainly changed back to the FootyJumpers 1953 design in that year and then to the 1957 black-sleeved design.

Cheers, Lemon Boi

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very interesting.
The Red panel clearly meets the Black back in both images.
I believe the bloke standing in the first pic is Harold Bray.
1574275233481.png
He finished at the end of 1952.
If the Footscray socks in the second pic are Blue with Red tops, then it's taken 1948-49.
The top looks slightly different to the rest of the sock,but it's hard to tell.
The second image look like #7, it might also be #17.
StKilda teams with a #7 played at Footscray in 1950 & 1952 during this period.
They did not play at Western Oval in 49, and in 48 there was no number 7 or 17, though the number of two players are unknown.

Tim Olle was #34 in 1949 & 50, he played one game at Junction Oval in both 1949 & 1950.
Ken Phelan played four games in #34 at Junction Oval in 1951.
Ron Williams played three games there in 1945.

Here's some video from the 1939 season:

So it's after 1939, and probably before 1953.

Last edited:
This is from 1953
dl4510-e1472001571465.jpeg

Sides don't meet.
I therefore concur that the Black backed jumper was not worn 1953-1956.
Then from 1957 until today it has been.

It may possibly have been worn from 1945, though I am yet to find photographic evidence of this.
It's more likely 1946, WW2 was still raging when the 1945 season began.
However, it's end date would be 1952.

The earliest I can place what looks to be the same jumper is 1948
(I'm going by the embroidered logo where the Red scroll is not on a Black background and spills into the White middle of the jumper.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

An article beside the first picture confirms that the standing player is Harold Bray. Another picture in the book (which I did not upload due to the poor quality of the picture) shows Jim Ross in the same style guernsey in a home match against Carlton; he played from 1946–54. So the time period is indeed late 1940s to early 1950s.

It’s possible that rationing made it necessary for St Kilda to produce guernseys with all-black backs; clothing rationing ended in 1948.

Thanks for the info.

An article beside the first picture confirms that the standing player is Harold Bray. Another picture in the book (which I did not upload due to the poor quality of the picture) shows Jim Ross in the same style guernsey in a home match against Carlton; he played from 1946–54. So the time period is indeed late 1940s to early 1950s.

It’s possible that rationing made it necessary for St Kilda to produce guernseys with all-black backs; clothing rationing ended in 1948.

The article in the book does clearly refer to a jumper change that I was unaware of.
I have trawled through every newspaper of the era, from 1944 to 1947 and have yet to find a single photo of a StKilda game.
Plenty of everyone else, but no Saints. (or Panthers)

I will continue researching but it is obvious the jumper was worn, so it must be included on the site.
I am confident in the date of 1952 being the last it was used.
For now I will accept the 1945 date of the piece on the club in The Clubs and continue researching it.
Therefore the revised Home jumper page looks like this:

Earliest I can verify it is in this pic from 1948.
It mentions new Captain Harold Bray, and that was in 1948.
loadImg.php

Last edited:
Great research, pleasure to be of assistance.

Here is a screenshot of the Saints from the early ‘80s (don’t know when; was in a St Kilda highlights video on Youtube).
The number font is slightly different from Richmond’s; the 1 has a header and the 2 curves more sharply.
St Kilda numbers.png

I made this in Paint from Bahnschrift SemiBold (with an outline).
SK 21.png

I believe that font is the one where there's lines in the middle
They don't appear very clearly on the screen shot, however, if there was movement you'd see them.
I've made this one before, however the website had a problem recently where old files were reloaded back to it.
I've uploaded the latest version of that jumper.
(I think I may have used the same font at the time)
260ewqh.png

Last edited:
I believe that font is the one where there's lines in the middle
They don't appear very clearly on the screen shot, however, if there was movement you'd see them.
I've made this one before, however the website had a problem recently where old files were reloaded back to it.
I've uploaded the latest version of that jumper.
(I think I may have used the same font at the time)
View attachment 782711

Here’s another screenshot from Round 6 1982 against Carlton.
SK 7.png

The black line on the numbers appears thinner than the white lines, though that may be due to the poor resolution of the footage.
Was not visible from a distance (although the numbers appear grey rather than white).

SK 17.png SK 22.png

Hope this helps, Lemon Boi :lemon:

Yes, that's the frame rate of the TV at the time that's showing them as Grey and with smaller Black lines.
The jumper above is one of those jumpers.
Game worn, for sale from someone who received it from Darryl Cowie.

Back again.

It appears that in 1986 most North Melbourne players wore guernseys with eight blue stripes, instead of six.
NM 1986.png

The six-striped variation (FootyJumpers 1981–95) was more common again from 1987 but some of these eight-striped guernseys appeared now and then.

It's a shame they can't seem to get consistent stripe width right on printed form fitting jumpers, that was a great look. I'd like to see a return to 6 wider stripes, to get rid of the big white voids on either side of the jumper (like how hawthorn and collingwood's stripes are.) but this would also be a great change and would set us apart. Of course, every VFL/AFL flag we've ever won was in a 6 stripe jumper so maybe that ship has sailed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back