Resource www.footyjumpers.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, looks like the logos aren't a priority. It's a bit mind boggling that this doesn't get any attention, let alone any acknowledgement.
To be fair, it is "footyjumpers.com" but I'm sure it'll get looked at eventually. Seems to be just the placement of the AFL logo for the VFL teams by the looks of things :)

Hey Mero I was wondering if you're willing to update a few of the team logos from the early 90's which included the then-new AFL logo on them? The small AFL logos are in different positions altogether compared the old VFL logos. Please allow me to attach some examples.

L27pJEk.png

I'm about 98% sure that Fitzroy logo is one I put together like 15 years ago for Wikipedia. I remember finding it difficult to find a good version of their AFL-era logo online, so I scanned the logo from my 1996 sticker album and tried to clean it up. I see it everywhere now, including on the official FFC website. Giveaways are the uneven thickness of the stroke on the top of the shield, and the AFL logo which is clearly of inconsistent saturation in comparison to the rest of the logo.

I also did the same for the Brisbane Bears V logo, which is still up on Wikipedia. Again, it has the same inconsistent stroke weight and a very dodgy cutout of the AFL logo.

I'm about 98% sure that Fitzroy logo is one I put together like 15 years ago for Wikipedia. I remember finding it difficult to find a good version of their AFL-era logo online, so I scanned the logo from my 1996 sticker album and tried to clean it up. I see it everywhere now, including on the official FFC website. Giveaways are the uneven thickness of the stroke on the top of the shield, and the AFL logo which is clearly of inconsistent saturation in comparison to the rest of the logo.

I also did the same for the Brisbane Bears V logo, which is still up on Wikipedia. Again, it has the same inconsistent stroke weight and a very dodgy cutout of the AFL logo.

The location of the AFL logo on your Fitzroy creation Red Crow is accurate however, at least from the The Season That Was 1996 video

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 6.14.31 pm.png

The location of the AFL logo on your Fitzroy creation Red Crow is accurate however, at least from the The Season That Was 1996 video

View attachment 879606

Yeah its definitely accurate. It was on the logo that I scanned, but I'm pretty sure it came out looking blurry so I replaced it with a higher res version.

A couple minor things for Hawthorn
  • Bolder number font was used in 2002 compared to 2001. Appears as though they reverted to a skinnier font in 2003.
    2001.jpg
  • Looks like a darker shade of gold was used in 2003 compared to previous years (I've attached one example below, it definitely becomes more noticable as you compare more photos between '02 and '03 on aflphotos.com.au)
    Untitled.jpg

Can anyone tell when GPS pockets were implemented? It seems like 2013 but that seems too late

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
There was a early version being used from 2007

I can remember Richo running around with the blue holder "bra" thing showing through the jumper sleeves

Yeah I think they started with the ‘bras’ before they got a pouch into the guernseys
I think the bra came in around 2007, and the pouch was around 2013 - I'm not sure who did it first though

A couple minor things for Hawthorn
  • Bolder number font was used in 2002 compared to 2001. Appears as though they reverted to a skinnier font in 2003.
    View attachment 879669
  • Looks like a darker shade of gold was used in 2003 compared to previous years (I've attached one example below, it definitely becomes more noticable as you compare more photos between '02 and '03 on aflphotos.com.au)
    View attachment 879670
fixed

To be fair, it is "footyjumpers.com" but I'm sure it'll get looked at eventually. Seems to be just the placement of the AFL logo for the VFL teams by the looks of things :)
For sure, I understand it's a non- footy jumper related query & hopefully it will indeed be looked at one day eventually as the location of the AFL logos differ from the VFL logos & as a whole it represents a pretty sizeable shift in the sport's history. However, it's Mero's site & I still admire it for what it is. I'm just trying to help it be as accurate of a compendium as it can be. Personally I feel official club logos hold a bit more significance than whether or not a team's shorts sponsor from 2000-something had a white field around it or not, & I feel I've provided the research needed for the logo update to happen.

Hopefully the great man will weave his magic on the logos from this era sometime soon, after all the "royal blue" from the 1970's being dropped from the logos has been fully documented, so hopefully eventually we can get the shield logos from that time fully updated & correct.

For sure, I understand it's a non- footy jumper related query & hopefully it will indeed be looked at one day eventually as the location of the AFL logos differ from the VFL logos & as a whole it represents a pretty sizeable shift in the sport's history. However, it's Mero's site & I still admire it for what it is. I'm just trying to help it be as accurate of a compendium as it can be. Personally I feel official club logos hold a bit more significance than whether or not a team's shorts sponsor from 2000-something had a white field around it or not, & I feel I've provided the research needed for the logo update to happen.

Hopefully the great man will weave his magic on the logos from this era sometime soon, after all the "royal blue" from the 1970's being dropped from the logos has been fully documented, so hopefully eventually we can get the shield logos from that time fully updated & correct.
FWIW, I think it's fair enough, and should be part of the site.
I've never really thought about them until you brought it up.
Doing the graphics for it is probably not going to be all that difficult, given most of the logo didn't change, only the placement of the AFL logo, which I have.
Currently it's taking a back seat to linking each game to AFLTables for stats, Tasmania State jumpers with Rainier Wolfcastle and general changes like 2003 Hawthorn jumpers which I can fix with doing minimal research.
The problem I have with the image above is that I know some of them are wrong for 1990 , so I don't trust the others.
Collingwood used the first club colours AFL logo and Essendon's sat directly over where the VFL logo was.
Collingwood-logo-1990.gif Essendon-logo-1990.gif
So either these graphics are wrong, or they changed them again to make the AFL logo less prominent at some later stage.
Either way, that's research that's going to have to wait.
Unless someone wants to go through the Footy Records online and find out.

Attachments

• Essendon-logo-1990.gif
    Essendon-logo-1990.gif
    45.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
See... look what you've made me do.
Essendon have two AFL logo versions of the old shield logo.
In 1990 they released the one above, which effectively replaced the VFL logo in size and position.
Then in 1995 they had this one, with the AFL positioned in the top corner. (As shown in the image jle101 posted)
Here is the updated page on the site: http://www.footyjumpers.com/essendonlogos.htm
Essendon-logo-1995.gif
I imagine other clubs went through a similar process.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See... look what you've made me do.
Essendon have two AFL logo versions of the old shield logo.
In 1990 they released the one above, which effectively replaced the VFL logo in size and position.
Then in 1995 they had this one, with the AFL positioned in the top corner. (As shown in the image jle101 posted)
Here is the updated page on the site: http://www.footyjumpers.com/essendonlogos.htm
View attachment 880225
I imagine other clubs went through a similar process.
Cheers for getting back to me mate, this is a bit of an eye opener & I can see why it needed a bit more research than I originally had figured. Seems like they did indeed fiddle around with the mini AFL logos for a while there. I found that SLV link very useful & after having a bit of a trawl through records from the time it looks like after they added the AFL logos in 1990 (mostly where the old VFL logos were), they went on to change a few of them in 1993 (Colourised logos in the case of Collingwood & Richmond).

LJjz86F.png

Further down the line in 1995 a few of the teams had abandoned the shield.

XSQGm0C.png

Previous to 1993, the logos appeared as such (Sydney missing, but most of these have already been documented of FJ.com).

S0RrV1q.png

On snap, you don't mess around! I just visited the site and you've already been making updates! You are such a tower of strength.

Opera Houses on Sydney's jumpers a bit inaccurate.
1) Swans kept the same shape for 20 seasons, thin sharp sails
View attachment 543921
2) Kept the same position on jumper (lower in 08/09) but used the same Opera House that appears on club logo
View attachment 543922
3) Have the same design since 2010 now, a larger version identical to club logo
View attachment 543923

Posted this a while back, the site got corrected but now all categories have changed back.
Keep it up Mero, cheers! :)

There was a early version being used from 2007

I can remember Richo running around with the blue holder "bra" thing showing through the jumper sleeves

So the blue 'bra' wasn't really like that at all. It was actually more like a tiny tiny backpack that sat above your shoulder blades. I remember wearing one in a carnival match in 2007, was incredible uncomfortable and the GPS was super bulky

So the blue 'bra' wasn't really like that at all. It was actually more like a tiny tiny backpack that sat above your shoulder blades. I remember wearing one in a carnival match in 2007, was incredible uncomfortable and the GPS was super bulky
Interesting.

I assumed it was like the training ones, the Swans Insta had a post About it and a comment explaining what they were

Posted this a while back, the site got corrected but now all categories have changed back.
Keep it up Mero, cheers! :)
do you mean the season by season by season uniforms, or the jumpers on the Home jumpers page?

Interesting.

I assumed it was like the training ones, the Swans Insta had a post About it and a comment explaining what they were

They've definitely evolved since the blue ones but I distinctly remember them. The 'bra' makes way more sense now as they can put the HR sensor right in the chest part so it sits in a nice garment alongside the GPS. They aren't annoying to wear either

Remove this Banner Ad

Back