Delisted Former CEO Xavier Campbell - Resigned - 24/8

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
isn’t Michelangelo Rucci, the Sam Mclure of Adelaide footy media?

That depends, do you consider Sam McClure to be an oxygen thief, devoid of all humanity, with no intrinsic worth but a pair of kidneys you'd put on Ebay at half price, whose journalistic ability is on par with my wife's cousin who spends all day on Facebook posting memes about Qanon, and who has just enough creep about him to politely decline his offer to babysit your kids?

Because yes, we consider him like that.

That depends, do you consider Sam McClure to be an oxygen thief, devoid of all humanity, with no intrinsic worth but a pair of kidneys you'd put on Ebay at half price, whose journalistic ability is on par with my wife's cousin who spends all day on Facebook posting memes about Qanon, and who has just enough creep about him to politely decline his offer to babysit your kids?

Pretty much

why yes - that was exactly where my head was at!

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
What about the last two AFL CEO's make you think being *that* good is even a requirement on an AFL leadership role? ;)

An interesting point that's been raised is that the AFL actually can't afford a top CEO. I think Gil was on around $1.8m, that's closer to $1m with the COVID hit. It's one of the highest profile CEO gigs in Australia given the media scrutiny, but it's not paid that way because the business just isn't that big. Top CEOs in Australia are earning double - triple what Gil does, and they're not leaving that to come run the AFL and get smashed to pieces by the media every day.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
An interesting point that's been raised is that the AFL actually can't afford a top CEO. I think Gil was on around $1.8m, that's closer to $1m with the COVID hit. It's one of the highest profile CEO gigs in Australia given the media scrutiny, but it's not paid that way because the business just isn't that big. Top CEOs in Australia are earning double - triple what Gil does, and they're not leaving that to come run the AFL and get smashed to pieces by the media every day.

This is true, but the AFL gig also opens a hell of a lot of doors (look at Demetriou's post AFL string of roles) and is fairly 'easy' in many ways I'd argue, compared to a number of other CEO roles. The AFL supporter base is pretty self-sustaining and has almost grown in spite of a number of the changes the AFL have messed around with.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

Good point. Is it one of those "underpaid, overpowered roles"?

This is true, but the AFL gig also opens a hell of a lot of doors (look at Demetriou's post AFL string of roles) and is fairly 'easy' in many ways I'd argue, compared to a number of other CEO roles. The AFL supporter base is pretty self-sustaining and has almost grown in spite of a number of the changes the AFL have messed around with.

The product sells itself, the best CEO would just keep out of the way.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon

Oh there's absolutely benefits to it. It's not what I'd describe as an easy role however. And I think if you're a genuinely top-level CEO, those doors tend to get opened for you anyway.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Oh there's absolutely benefits to it. It's not what I'd describe as an easy role however. And I think if you're a genuinely top-level CEO, those doors tend to get opened for you anyway.

Easy in the context of high level CEO roles is what I meant, not as an absolute 'this is an easy job' type thing. Gillon has never inspired me that he's some kind of amazingly talented businessman for example, yet the game has grown under his tenure (last 12 months excluding, for obvious reasons).

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

Also, as a mediocre accountant with 20 year's experience, I will go look at the AFL's books as a matter of interest

Easy in the context of high level CEO roles is what I meant, not as an absolute 'this is an easy job' type thing. Gillon has never inspired me that he's some kind of amazingly talented businessman for example, yet the game has grown under his tenure (last 12 months excluding, for obvious reasons).
I'm not convinced the COVID pain will be a short or medium term thing. Once the pandemic is over there will still be debts to pay, programs and talent pathways will still be running at bare bones level, and that reduced level of support will continue to have consequences for the skill level, quality and quantity of talent playing the game. Worse if they decide to sell the broadcast rights to the highest bidder to make up the shortfall, as that typically means reduced numbers of viewers and the consequences on membership and ticket sales that go with that.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm not convinced the COVID pain will be a short or medium term thing. Once the pandemic is over there will still be debts to pay, programs and talent pathways will still be running at bare bones level, and that reduced level of support will continue to have consequences for the skill level, quality and quantity of talent playing the game. Worse if they decide to sell the broadcast rights to the highest bidder to make up the shortfall, as that typically means reduced numbers of viewers and the consequences on membership and ticket sales that go with that.

Hard to say long-term, this next 5 or so years is going to make up some of the more challenging periods of the game in recent history, arguably the hardest period of the AFL era thus far (though I can't speak with any form of authority on the early 90s) which has largely been a growth phase for the game.

Further blow to country kids and those from poorer areas and of course an even bigger advantage to private schools.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Interestingly Demetriou was reported to be on $1.8m in 2009.

I shake my head when I see people slagging off X.

The sheer fact that we are not broke deserves respect.

Then roll-off the insane work that he had to do in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016.
Dealing with the AFL, ASADA, WADA, MEDA
Paul Little!
AFLPA.
Stemming the Exodus
Dealing with unfair dismissal of the weapon
Shreading the evidence
Dealing with Hird, Thompson.
Finding a coach suited to healing a damaged list
Record membership

Yeah, maybe he should not have extended Worsfold. Maybe he should have sacked Dodoro. Maybe he should have made the footy department more footy without getting involved in the footy side of it.

If Adelaide poach him, it will be our loss.

Can you explain how?

Can you explain how?
In terms of potentially taking it off free to air altogether. Apologies if that wasn’t clear.

Also like two hours after I posted that, the AFL published a financial report saying they didn’t get smacked quite as hard last year as they were expecting. So presumably not as desperate times will call for not as desperate measures.

In terms of potentially taking it off free to air altogether. Apologies if that wasn’t clear.

Also like two hours after I posted that, the AFL published a financial report saying they didn’t get smacked quite as hard last year as they were expecting. So presumably not as desperate times will call for not as desperate measures.
The uncertainty over game attendance won't help. I don't know about anyone else but for the first time in a decade I am considering whether or not to renew my membership. I suspect there might be a few others too.

The uncertainty over game attendance won't help. I don't know about anyone else but for the first time in a decade I am considering whether or not to renew my membership. I suspect there might be a few others too.
I got mine for Christmas and the club threw in a free upgrade (probably because there’s a 50/50 chance I get nothing at all so may not even use the upgrade). But if not for that I’d have to weigh it up.

I got mine for Christmas and the club threw in a free upgrade (probably because there’s a 50/50 chance I get nothing at all so may not even use the upgrade). But if not for that I’d have to weigh it up.
I lashed out last year and upgraded to two reserved seats and was not able to attend one game. You want to support the club but it is a gamble. It is not about being disgruntled with the team or anything like that either... It is extremely hard to justify the money given the realistic prospect of significant disruption.

Back