Past Xavier Clarke (2010-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Xavier Clarke

Nathan Clarke

"Xavier was terrific and actually ended up playing 80 minutes - which was 70% of game time - and covered nearly 10km."

"He definitely caught the eye of the Senior Coach and showed that with a couple of weeks under his belt, he'll be a senior footballer again."

what is it with xav clarke, he doesn't seem to be able to play more than a quarter of footy before getting injured again.

Brett Burton injury update

Xavier has a very mild hamstring strain which he sustained in the first quarter of the Reserves game over the weekend, so given his history with soft tissue injuries he’ll be out for a couple of weeks.

Probably....on both counts..

..what sort of money would he be getting while out injured...is it the same as if he was playing?

I'm really upset. I know I'm a broken record but I was excited when X came over to us. If he never plays a senior game again while his spud of a brother keeps getting selected for the Saints it'll be heart-wrenching.

Lets just hope they take it VERY easy with him, give him 2-3 weeks in the ressies and then just work out a fitness plan that allows him to play for us. If not I know he'll be fine in his personal life and so on, but it's just always a shame to see wasted talent, even if it was got for essentially nothing.

Probably....on both counts..

..what sort of money would he be getting while out injured...is it the same as if he was playing?

No, he misses out on match payments which can be a significant figure compared to base salary, depending on the make-up of his contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brett Burton injury update

Xavier’s going well. He’s running at 100% now and has been kicking over an excellent distance as well so he’ll train for the rest of this week and then get a full week in to play next week.

The Grill with Todd Banfield

"I grew up hunting and fishing and that, so that one thing I love doing. I took a few of the boys up there (Darwin) at the end of the year, Lukey Power, Blacky and Charmo. I just like to get out bush, turn the phone off, not have the phone on for a week or so, and just get back to what I was doing as a kid. It's fantastic, I really enjoy it, and I try to do that once a year."

clarkebanfield.jpg

Gutted for him. A great man. But his body just isint capable of AFL. It is a shame, and i really hope his luck turns around.

Off the injury list and the ever reliable Mr Rip says he's right to go.

Am probably more excited about seeing X get out there then perhaps any player on the list. Maybe setting myself up for disappointment but hopefully after a couple of weeks in the 2s will be pushing for a spot.

Off the injury list and the ever reliable Mr Rip says he's right to go.

Am probably more excited about seeing X get out there then perhaps any player on the list. Maybe setting myself up for disappointment but hopefully after a couple of weeks in the 2s will be pushing for a spot.

Im with you Snuka, I just have this feeling he will take our team up an extra gear.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for the X man.

let's hope he gets back on the field - class player and can make a difference if he stays fit - good luck X-man!! would love to see him back to his best

Really interested to see what he can do. What were people opinons of him when he had a run in the seconds (I believe he played one match and then went down in his second)? Where abouts do you see X sliding into our team? He was a running HB (?) for St Kilda wasn't he? We seem to have this relatively covered with Adcock + Hanley at the moment. Perhaps he comes in for Stiller? I would be kind of sad to see Stiller come out because he hasn't been playing badly, but if X picks up some steam in the seconds he seems like the most likely out.

Comments from Indigenous Round

I think just stick at what you love doing. Sport can sometimes be hard, but you do it because you love it. We were kids running around in the back yard or whatever playing with your brothers and sisters. You do it because you love it, and that’s the main thing. Be passionate about what you do, and if you want something just go for it. As long as you’re loving what you are doing you’re going to get a long way.

clarken.jpg

I'm really upset. I know I'm a broken record but I was excited when X came over to us. If he never plays a senior game again while his spud of a brother keeps getting selected for the Saints it'll be heart-wrenching.

Lets just hope they take it VERY easy with him, give him 2-3 weeks in the ressies and then just work out a fitness plan that allows him to play for us. If not I know he'll be fine in his personal life and so on, but it's just always a shame to see wasted talent, even if it was got for essentially nothing.

Couldn't agree more with you. Really hoping he can get out on the park and play some good footy. Ripping young bloke.

NEAFL Round 10 vs Sydney Reserves

“Xavier Clarke also showed that he’s getting back into it. He adds that element of class to the side, and when he gets confidence back in his body, I reckon he could go back and play seniors,” Clarke said.

LARS provides X factor
By Michael Whiting
11:03 AM Thu 16 Jun, 2011

XClarkeBris246a.jpg

WHEN you talk about bad luck, not many players can say they've had it worse than Brisbane Lions utility Xavier Clarke.

The 27-year-old has played just 15 minutes of senior football in the past three seasons.

"It is amazing to be able to get back in 12 weeks," he said.

"It is an amazing surgery to have done and I think I'm pretty fortunate to get it in January to give myself a chance to get back playing and hopefully crack back into the side in the next few weeks."

Clarke said after his previous rehab there was no hesitation in going with the LARS option.

"I knew what I went through with my other knee and I wasn't sure if I could go through that again," he said.

"With LARS you get so many more positives quicker along the way. It's that quicker process that gives you more of a boost throughout your rehab.

"You can sit around and sook and say 'Why me?' but that's why it was important I got the LARS. As soon as I could get up and move around I wanted to push things as hard as I could and show that I have a little bit to offer."

"I played some good footy at the Saints but deep down, my gut feeling is I maybe haven't reached my full potential with my skills and what I have to offer, and a lot of that is due to injury," he said.

"But I'm 27 and I'd like to think I've got a few [kilometres] in the legs considering I haven't played much in the last few years. There's no doubt I still believe I've got a fair bit to offer the Brisbane Lions footy club.

"I'd like to get back and play senior footy, but it's all got to do with where the club see me at. We're playing a few young players at the moment and it's important we do get games into these boys, but if it's this week or the next couple, for me the sense of getting back and playing senior footy would mean so much."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back