Xavier Ellis Injury - to miss first half of 09?

Jamie

Debutant
May 11, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I have unfortunately heard from a reliable source that Xavier Ellis is having/has had hip surgery and will miss roughly the first half of the season.

Apparently he has had the problem since the age of 17 and it is time to clear it up. Very disappointing as he was coming into his own. However, plenty more footy in Xav.

Roughouse

Senior List
Mar 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Re: Xavier Ellis Injury

That is shocking news. He really came along nicely this season, and had a great finals series. Oh well I guess this leaves the door open for Morton.

hawks_time

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2008
Nowhere in particular
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW

So much for a proper pre-season for him, that's awful news but if it helps in the long term it's better to nip it in the bud early but if he's had it since he was 17 why didn't he get it last year?

Feb 16, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Damn, was really looking forward to him strutting his stuff next year. Real shame also, seemed to have finally cemeted his spot in the team and silenced his doubters.

Give it loads of time to recover properly. Might as well make sure it's done right first time, and let him have plenty of time in the gym whilst he recovers!

MadDawg

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2006
Counting cups
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The greatest team of all!
Maybe they should have nipped it on the bud in his football gap year if that is the case, really stalls his year and progress.

doondoon

Senior List
Oct 8, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
why was it not done at end of season and not now. dont understand that prt. carltank did same with cruizer and he should be back at start of year

MR K

Debutant
Jun 24, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Have also unfortunately heard this.

X was missing from training today and have been told he will not return to full training for a while!!!

kreuze control

Team Captain
Mar 28, 2008
Strathmore
AFL Club
Carlton
terrible news. the kid has had a wretched run with injury. i was really looking forward to seeing him make collingwood regret they took thomas at 2 but i guess we'll have to wait a bit longer now.

and to all of you who are questioning why the op wasn't performed earlier, i'm no doctor but usually having an operation is something you do as a last resort because once a part of your body is operated on, it will never be the same as it is on a normal person. the hawks might have thought there was a chance it'd heal naturally but it obviously hasn't.

all the best to the X-man and looking forward to him returning a bigger and better player.

Xman carried the injury for most of the season and was expected to recover during the break however on his return was still feeling sore in the hip which led to the operation, my source advises he is unlikely to miss any football, at worst a couple of games.

Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Xman carried the injury for most of the season and was expected to recover during the break however on his return was still feeling sore in the hip which led to the operation, my source advises he is unlikely to miss any football, at worst a couple of games.

Sounds about right - but I think the OP prob meant that he'll miss a pre-season, so after during a pre-season over the first half of the season, he'll only hit peak form till the end of the year maybe?

Sounds about right - but I think the OP prob meant that he'll miss a pre-season, so after during a pre-season over the first half of the season, he'll only hit peak form till the end of the year maybe?

It's not so easy to catch up phil - but he does have youth on his side as opposed to a senior player who has guile and experience.

Gary Shadforth

Norm Smith Medallist
Veteran Hawthorn Hawks - Muston and Savage Player Sponsor 2010 Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2011 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Beau Muston 2009 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Beau Muston 2008 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Beau Muston 2007 Player Sponsor
Oct 15, 2003
Coolangatta Queensland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I have unfortunately heard from a reliable source that Xavier Ellis is having/has had hip surgery and will miss roughly the first half of the season.

Apparently he has had the problem since the age of 17 and it is time to clear it up. Very disappointing as he was coming into his own. However, plenty more footy in Xav.

Please quote your 'reliable source'. As if it is a just rumor about a player's physical ailment and turns out to be a furphie the club will not appreciate this thread OP.

Please, Jamie, give us something more concrete If you cannot come up with a reliable source this thread really should be closed.

Knights 24

Team Captain
Oct 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Please quote your 'reliable source'. As if it is a just rumor about a player's physical ailment and turns out to be a furphie the club will not appreciate this thread OP.

Please, Jamie, give us something more concrete If you cannot come up with a reliable source this thread really should be closed.

100% agree

Source the quote or don't quote the source.

Geelong2k9

All Australian
Oct 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal
From a non Hawk POV, im really sorry to hear this; he really seemed to hit his straps in 2008; hope he gets back for the 2nd half of 09 match fit and helping you boys attempting to go for back to back

Jamie

Debutant
May 11, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm sorry but I am not prepared to name my source is as it was revealed by someone near to me on condition of anonymity and would only attract unwanted attention to said person. While this is no doubt frustrating there is nothing unusual in that both in the general media or on boards such as these.

I have been a member of this forum since 2001 and while I read regularly I post extreme sporadically as to be honest I don't normally have much to say that I think others should be bored by! However, my posting record - scant as it is - reveals that I am not a rumour-monger.

This was hardly a scandalous/libellous/defamatory post. Your call if you want to delete the thread. No skin off my nose but if you want to start deleting threads that the "club won't appreciate" we will soon have a very boring forum!

Back onto topic though - I sincerely hope it isn't as long as the first half of the year and given the unpredictability of injuries it may well be less...let's hope.

Back