Delisted Xavier Richards [requested trade to Victoria - delisted]

Remove this Banner Ad

2nd delisted free agency period ends today so should be an announcement this afternoon.
Why?
I may be miles off but I have a theory that Dodoro wants to see what's in the draft. We would effectively be giving up pick 61? for Richards and maybe the recruiters have their eyes on a player/s and may prefer them over Richards.

Why?
I may be miles off but I have a theory that Dodoro wants to see what's in the draft. We would effectively be giving up pick 61? for Richards and maybe the recruiters have their eyes on a player/s and may prefer them over Richards.
Yep seems your thinking matches the recruiting department.
Pick 68 will be used now it seems.
Which means Richards as a rookie pick.
Cause Essendon chasing Richards and him training there all points to him being picked up.

Well i got that wrong (Thinking essendon would at least rookie list him). Maybe he was just trialing for the VFL side all along.

Career ended by the mighty fletcher Roberts
He's only 23. If he has a dominant year in the VFL, who says he won't get picked up?

He's only 23. If he has a dominant year in the VFL, who says he won't get picked up?

Considering that recent Liston Trophy winners like Alex Woodward and Frosty Miller Medalists like Sam Grimley and Liam McBean have been de-listed by their AFL clubs and not picked up in this draft period, it's fair to say that most AFL clubs (aside from Geelong, who always seem to draft someone from their VFL side) don't rate VFL form especially highly these days when drafting, so he'd have to have an absolutely monster year there to put himself back in the frame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering that recent Liston Trophy winners like Alex Woodward and Frosty Miller Medalists like Sam Grimley and Liam McBean have been de-listed by their AFL clubs and not picked up in this draft period, it's fair to say that most AFL clubs (aside from Geelong, who always seem to draft someone from their VFL side) don't rate VFL form especially highly these days when drafting, so he'd have to have an absolutely monster year there to put himself back in the frame.
Plenty of mature aged recruits have been taken the past 2 years. Off the top of my head there's been 30-40 in 2015 and 16.

Yeah, but how many from the VFL? Most mature-agers seem to come from the SANFL or WAFL these days.
Over half. Brown, Collins, Hartley, Walla, Ruggles, Wills, Keough, Marcon, Greenwood, House, Stewart, Smith, McInerney, Marshall, Smith, Ryan, Fox off the top of my head.

Does anyone have a fairly accurate estimation of what his 2 yr deal might have been worth ?
Would have been on the low end of contracts with our salary cap.

So if anyone knows the base contract for a senior listed player (not draftee) would be close to the money. We would have offered more to make it attractive but he would have been in the lower paid on our list.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

Over half. Brown, Collins, Hartley, Walla, Ruggles, Wills, Keough, Marcon, Greenwood, House, Stewart, Smith, McInerney, Marshall, Smith, Ryan, Fox off the top of my head.

If you take out guys who were 21 or under (who shouldn't be considered "mature-aged" recruits), the special circumstance of Essendon needing top-up players, and Geelong essentially drafting their own players they've developed in-house, older VFL draftees aren't really out-numbering those from the SANFL or WAFL:

Tyrone Downie - Gold Coast
Kane Lambert - Richmond

Sam Collins - Fremantle
Adam Marcon - Richmond
Rupert Wills - Collingwood

Robbie Fox - Sydney
Mitch Hannan - Melbourne
Oscar McInerney - Melbourne
Luke Ryan - Fremantle
Tim Smith - Melbourne

Fair enough, it's picked up this year, it's hardly a strong trend. Clubs seem more likely to re-rookie or recycle the current year's AFL delistees than draw from the VFL in recent times.

Also, once you have been de-listed spent time away from the AFL, it's hard to come back from, especially if you already had five years of not doing much on the AFL list like Richards had. It tends to mark your card as "not up to it". Not too many guys in any state league have bounced back to AFL level after going back to the state leagues. Daniel Currie and Dean Terlich are the only recent ones I can think of. Not even Ahmed Saad got another look-in, and he was the leading goalkicker in the VFL this year.

Look, it'll be a nice story if Richards does make it back onto an AFL list at some stage, all I'm saying is that the odds at this stage aren't in his favour.

Last edited:
Maybe..... I wasn't keen on taking up a second job so we moved to Germany instead. I was also getting sick of commuting 1hr 10m to the CBD and still having to fork just north of 40k after tax to cover the rent in an undersized duplex. We were compromising every single day, it was becoming mentally unhealthy to stay in Sydney. Our family was 'existing' in Sydney, we are now 'living' in Germany...

Everyone is pretty quick to jump on the ex-COLA allowance but when you throw cost of living, go-home factor, additional travel and limited marketing opportunities together it makes retention pretty tough for Sydney... no matter what the VFL thinks

Everyone has their view point and their intentions for life and I won't ever doubt anyone who says they can't afford Sydney
Hang on, Richards would've been on about $120K per year, minimum I'd probably say, which would give him net weekly income of anywhere between $1400-1600 per week. Now, yes Sydney is more expensive, but don't tell me that you can't get by on that kind of money per week. Not everyone can live in the leafy east sure, but Richards can't say it's too expensive.

If he moves back to Melbourne where would he live? Bayside? Inner east? Surely he would want to live in a nice area, and I can yell you this, it's going to be comparative in terms of cost for a house or two bedroom unit. Maybe Sydney might be more expensive, but it'd be marginal and on $120k per year you're not really feeling the hit.

But hey, now he is probably back home with his parents and going to be working at his local Dan Murphy's. So yeah, maybe he should've accepted his two year deal. Sounds like he has an over inflated opinion of himself to be honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back