Delisted Xavier Richards [requested trade to Victoria - delisted]

Remove this Banner Ad

His manager has stuffed up big time. Pretty sure he will study for free while playing for Sydney Uni though

His manager has stuffed up big time. Pretty sure he will study for free while playing for Sydney Uni though
The AFLPA pays for any AFL players University fees. So he could have received free University earning ~150K per year in expensive Sydney.

Massive stuff up by his manager.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

There were a few like this last year. Makes you wonder if managers didn't appreciate the market well. Greene had a 3 year deal (I think) offer with Brisbane, scraped through to be picked up on a 1 year deal with EFC as a DFA.

There were a few like this last year. Makes you wonder if managers didn't appreciate the market well. Greene had a 3 year deal (I think) offer with Brisbane, scraped through to be picked up on a 1 year deal with EFC as a DFA.

Yep. Adcock last year too - had a contract offer on the table, held out for more and then got delisted instead (played 2016 with the Dogs as a rookie).

So his brother was on ABC Grandstand today and briefly touched on why he decided to play NEAFL.

Apparently Sydney Uni offered him what is essentially a free Masters degree and free boarding on top of being paid to play for them. Had 3-4 offers from VFL clubs (including Essendon and I believe Williamstown)

So his brother was on ABC Grandstand today and briefly touched on why he decided to play NEAFL.

Apparently Sydney Uni offered him what is essentially a free Masters degree and free boarding on top of being paid to play for them. Had 3-4 offers from VFL clubs (including Essendon and I believe Williamstown)
No brainer if that's the case then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had 3-4 AFL clubs interested. Pretty much every VFL club contacted him.

He also has a job lined up after he completes Uni. He has set himself up, but is just returning from an achilles issue currently.

“I just decided I didn’t want to be in Sydney for another two years,” Richards told The Daily Telegraph.

It was a late decision for me, I just wanted to be back in Melbourne. I know a lot of people may not understand that but I think family and friends are more important.

“I’ve been in Sydney for four years and decided this wasn’t for me.”

Lol

He had 3-4 AFL clubs interested. Pretty much every VFL club contacted him.

He also has a job lined up after he completes Uni. He has set himself up, but is just returning from an achilles issue currently.
It's a pretty amazing deal. I'd probably take that over a mediocre AFL career.

Sydney Uni are building quite a strong NEAFL team, backed by their ability to offer scholarships to young prospects.

It's a pretty amazing deal. I'd probably take that over a mediocre AFL career.
Pretty much, yep. Ted is also set up quite well, working for KPMG.

When Xav didn't take the Sydney offer his teammates thought he was showing some balls, but he had it in his mind that if he was going to play footy for a short time(average football career is not long) he would be coming out the end with not much to show for it(if he took the Sydney offer which was the same contract as Alex Johnson, who had not played since 2012) or he could look to see what else was on offer, as he had mates from junior footy playing at other AFL clubs earning nearly double what he was on - and he knew this.

When it was raised in the media that he had left because of the cost of living allowance that Sydney had lost, Sydney quite rightly got their back up, as it directly questioned their handling of the contract situation and all others on the list. It made them look silly, but the Tippett and Franklin contracts and the need to re-sign Heeney and Mills had restricted them greatly and was why they couldn't offer Xav more of what a move to Melbourne promised.

I played against Sydney Uni div 1 on the weekend, word was that he had been dropped from there NEAFL side and played premier division? The fall continues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back