XBX Xbox Series X/S - November 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah, I mean I knew it wasn’t going to be actual gameplay footage but to say “we’ve got gameplay” and then show a cinematic trailer, lol that’s just rude, plain rude.

I recon after this we'll definitely get Halo infinite gameplay in July

Xbox will showcase their ‘big guns’ in July most likely. The showcase the other day was more of a “look here, we have games coming, and we have a ton of developers, you want games, we’ll give you games”.

If they fluff it in July then it’s all she wrote for the next gen contest.

Not the ideal start for Xbox with a bunch of cinematic trailers, some for games that were announced years ago, but it's still early doors yet. Plenty of time to show off the power and features. Plus Sony's marketing for the PS5 has been shambolic so far

We might be getting all the info next month from Series X pricing to a Series S reveal. According to rumours the Series X will be looking at a $400US launch price to undercut the PS5, then a cut down model (Series S) at half the price of $200US. The Series S will be the model they push at their own loss into as many homes as possible.

We might be getting all the info next month from Series X pricing to a Series S reveal. According to rumours the Series X will be looking at a $400US launch price to undercut the PS5, then a cut down model (Series S) at half the price of $200US. The Series S will be the model they push at their own loss into as many homes as possible.

Please don't say anyone actually believes this?

then a cut down model (Series S) at half the price of $200US.
giphy.gif

That's the price of the Xbox One S disc-free version now, when it is basically EOL. A more powerful, more expensive console to produce is supposed to be that cheap?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Lockhart does indeed exist, it is a digital/discless console targetting only 5-6tflops to push their xcloud service for casuals.

Sounds last gen.

Sounds last gen.

It does, it puts it only just ahead of the PS4 Pro. That's why most of the articles that have ever talked about it say it's only targeting 1440p 120fps tops but full raytracing capability and anything else that comes with RDNA2. I guess that reflects the cost. I think Lockhart exists, just not at those specs or that price point.

Which they can do by the xbox one X, if this pricing was true than why not just come out and say the price, Sony wouldnt be able to price match

I'd imagine on top of the much smaller form factor it would be because if it weren't going to release until at least next year then a new product would be easier to market than one that is 4+ years old.

It's all just speculation right now, so I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about it.

It’ll be better than the Xbox one x but not as good as the Xbox series x or ps5, the middle of the road console for next gen for those who can’t afford the xbsx or ps5.
I wonder if this strategy will hold back Xbox first party games. They have to build them to run on a lower spec machine which might lead to limiting assets or detail in a game. Sure, you can have sliders but there would only be so much tweaking possible before the cost/timeframe blows out.

I really don't understand the logic behind bringing out a competing cheap console against yourself which is marginally better than last gen. Surely you'd be getting as many people as possible to get your brand new console.

I wonder if this strategy will hold back Xbox first party games. They have to build them to run on a lower spec machine which might lead to limiting assets or detail in a game. Sure, you can have sliders but there would only be so much tweaking possible before the cost/timeframe blows out.

RDNA2 is supposed to be highly scalable. It would be easier work to scale down within the same architecture family than trying to go from RDNA to Polaris. This is way over simplification, but engine wise down at the silicon level you're going to be utilising the same APIs, keeping all the features and it will be just a matter of turning stuff on an off. AMD released Polaris in 2017, so it might be also easier to get driver support from them if your entire stack is uniform rather than spending time retro fitting.

I know I'm the one that posted the link but I'm not 100% convinced right now. Either the specs or the price is wrong. I don't think it can be both. If the Series X is truly a whopping $100US less than the PS5 (putting it on par with the digital PS5) then there is no reason for a cut down version. If the Series X is closer to the PS5 in terms of price then there is definitely room for cheaper, cut down product SKUs but not at $200US and it won't be at launch IMO. Microsoft want to push Xcloud though, so maybe at that price the Series S could be a streaming unit. But then the specs are a little overkill when they could go with a cheaper and more profitable SoC.

Hopefully we find out more next month. Until then all we can do is speculate.

Nope it won't.

His reasoning is that "Things are just different now", even though this has worked for every console generation and the gaming masterpieces are what sell consoles. If you have one massive hit, people will eventually upgrade just to play it if that is their only option. It'll be interesting to observe which strategy is more successful.

Microsoft are putting all their games on PC so even if this lower powered Xbox doesn't exist they are still going to have to scale their games to various configurations. It hasn't held back third party games so I don't see why it would hamper Microsofts studios tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back