Multiplat Yakuza 7: Like A Dragon - Western release November 12th

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Just saw a lot of the games are on Gamepass, worth playing before this?

Definitely.

As a fan on the Yakuza series, I say play them all. If you just want to dip your toes in, you can do Yakuza 6, Like A Dragon, Gaiden and Infinite Wealth (next year) in that order. LAD/Gaiden is a continuation of everything that happens during Y6.

Like A Dragon Ishin was just put on Gamepass and Gaiden (comes out on November 9th) is a Day 1 Gamepass drop. As a PlayStation gamer, I don’t know which Yakuza games are on Gamepass.

As a reference, Ishin is a remake of a spin-off title, so you can play that whenever you would like. Yakuza 0-6, Like A Dragon, Gaiden, Infinite Wealth are the main titles.

FYI: The old title for the series in the West was Yakuza. The new title for the series in the West (the Japanese title) is Like A Dragon.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Very exciting news. In a surprising move, the game is going to feature an English dub for the first time since Yakuza 2.

It is releasing on PS4, PC, Xbox One and it is going to be an Xbox Series X launch title. PS5 will be a free upgrade for PS4 owners that bought the game when the time comes.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Finished up Chapter 1 today. Very fun game but heads up for anyone who has brought the game.

For the first time since I have had my PS4 (6 years), I went to start the game back up an hour after finishing one play session and I was greeted with a message that my Yakuza 7 game has corrupted data and I would need to delete the game off my PS4 and re-download it. I had the Internet turned on and a patch for Yakuza 7 actually showed up in the meantime, 2.1GB, so I let that download to see if it would fix the problem and it actually did. It saved me from deleting and re-downloading a 45GB game. Really weird because this is the first time I have played a PS4 game that has given me that message and I have heaps of games on my system that have undownloaded patches. So best to just keep the game patched.

Last edited:

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Up to chapter 3. I was making strong progress on the story and then they introduced a mini-game where you drive around the map picking up cans and my progress has halted.

Early stages but this seems excellent. The battle system is obviously very different but I'm find it a lot of fun.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
I finished the main story. I must say that it took me a while to get used to the turn based combat but when I finally did, it was super fun.

Tip: I found that completing the management mini game (getting your company to number 1, which is suprisingly easier, just takes time) before the last few chapters is essential. Not only for the money which pays 3m yen for every shareholders meeting when you are number 1 (10 minutes of game time) but also because once you reach number 1, Ichiban gets a new skill that is quite fantastic to use. Also at least upgrade two of your characters weapons (Ichiban being one) at the Romance Workshop. I am using a Legendary Hero's Bat for Ichiban and the "attack" level is at about 218. Very similar attack level for one of my other characters. Do that and chapter 12 to the end of the game becomes a lot easier to get through and so much fun.

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm towards the end of Chapter 10. Finished the management mini-game.

Absolutely great game and it's remarkable how easy the series transitioned into a JRPG.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
I am playing again but this time the PS5 version. I can see how much nicer graphically the game looks and how quicker the loading screens are from the PS4 version on the PS5 and the PS5 version.

The business mini game is so fun and if you have a decent guide on how to beat the shareholders meetings (“Red (people) beats green (money) which beats blue (facilities) which beats red” is all the guide you need for the shareholders meetings) and upgrade all your employees to level 30 quickly, it is such a fun experience. I reached Number 1 during Chapter 7 and then had all the yen I could possibly need to upgrade my weapons as much as I needed for the last few chapters and now I am on Chapter 13. Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio should be commended for not ever getting to a point where the Yakuza games have become stale, the games are so much fun even with a new main protagonist.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I actually missed the last few Yakuza games (only replayed the Kiwami remakes and always wanted to do a full 0-6 playthrough) and wasn't that interested in this at first due to the combat change and not playing at Kazuma, but I did finally grab it and as usual, underneath the quirky stuff this has a really good story again. The characters are awesome. Originally I thought Ichiban would be really cheesy but he didn't take long to grow on me and I'm enjoying the JRPG combat change.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
I actually missed the last few Yakuza games (only replayed the Kiwami remakes and always wanted to do a full 0-6 playthrough) and wasn't that interested in this at first due to the combat change and not playing at Kazuma, but I did finally grab it and as usual, underneath the quirky stuff this has a really good story again. The characters are awesome. Originally I thought Ichiban would be really cheesy but he didn't take long to grow on me and I'm enjoying the JRPG combat change.

I am doing a full playthrough of 0-6 (which is my third in 3 years), I can’t get enough of this series. They all have such good stories and the Japanese voice acting is incredible. I have done two playthroughs of Yakuza LAD. Both in English but I am planning on going back and doing one in Japanese in the future. I think a lot of fans of the series were put off by what Ichiban‘s character model looked like in trailers and posters leading up to the release after playing as someone like Kiryu since the beginning. He looked so cheesy and silly but there ends up being a funny story behind it.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I am doing a full playthrough of 0-6 (which is my third in 3 years), I can’t get enough of this series. They all have such good stories and the Japanese voice acting is incredible. I have done two playthroughs of Yakuza LAD. Both in English but I am planning on going back and doing one in Japanese in the future. I think a lot of fans of the series were put off by what Ichiban‘s character model looked like in trailers and posters leading up to the release after playing as someone like Kiryu since the beginning. He looked so cheesy and silly but there ends up being a funny story behind it.

That definitely put me off about Ichiban. Then a few clips it seemed like they were trying to make him "cool". It didn't take long to learn Ichiban's motives and I changed my mind really quickly. Sort of regretting picking the English dub but it's cool picking out the voice actors I've heard in other dubs that I recognise, like Sojiro's English voice from Persona 5.

I'll still get through a full playthrough of the series probably when I've got nothing else on. It can just such a big commitment. I was waiting for the final few remasters to come to PC too (even though I'm playing Like a Dragon on PS5... Go figure lol).

Valentino Dmitri

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2008
69 Bosoms Lane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Rokeby GP Dancesquad
Early days (chapter 4) but this could be my favourite Yakuza. I was a bit over the combat from the previous games so loving the JPRG battles. Intriguing story and the side mission comedy is on point.

1618469911017.png

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm having an absolute blast with 7 at the moment. It's the quirkiest and most genuinely funny imo. Some of the side missions are absolutely bonkers. Yakuza games have always been a bit like that but they still had a serious undertone. I wasn't sure at first but the total JRPG pisstake with Ichiban has really grown in me.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This is the first of the series I've played.

The first hour or so I was not sure but I'm up to chapter 4 and am starting to enjoy where the story is heading.

Although after finding out it goes up to chapter 12 , hopefully it doesn't get too repetitive and I don't lose interest.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
This is the first of the series I've played.

The first hour or so I was not sure but I'm up to chapter 4 and am starting to enjoy where the story is heading.

Although after finding out it goes up to chapter 12 , hopefully it doesn't get too repetitive and I don't lose interest.

There are 15 chapters. A bit of a tip, accumulate 3 million yen because in chapter 12 you will need it to continue with the story.

It’s a really fun game. It might start off slowly but it becomes really fun when you level up enough and some of the attacks are really fun to use.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
$60 in the steam sale. i changed the language to japanese about 50 minutes through (only played a couple hours of intro stuff) and it changed the entire mood to a much more serious one, for me, which was much appreciated. i can hardly believe this game is real, it's a wicked idea that's seem to come very good. the way you go seamlessly in and out of random street fights (at least initially) is impressive, i can imagine people who traditionally don't like turn based combat will hardly mind with how quick it is anyway, i don't even have faster combat enabled yet either. this game should be 100x bigger and more talked about, really!

hornetswce

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
$60 in the steam sale. i changed the language to japanese about 50 minutes through (only played a couple hours of intro stuff) and it changed the entire mood to a much more serious one, for me, which was much appreciated. i can hardly believe this game is real, it's a wicked idea that's seem to come very good. the way you go seamlessly in and out of random street fights (at least initially) is impressive, i can imagine people who traditionally don't like turn based combat will hardly mind with how quick it is anyway, i don't even have faster combat enabled yet either. this game should be 100x bigger and more talked about, really!

It’s on gamepass for PC aswell.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Last edited:
Back