Yassmin abdel magid

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia. One legacy of the WW1 debacle was the insistence that future Australian troops went under command of Australian generals. This manifested immediately in the withdrawal of Australians after 9 months of the Tubruk siege against Churchill's wishes. We re-diverted to defend against the Japanese and as a direct result basically stopped our selves being invaded.

If people want to throw stones 100 years after the fact and from a 50 year prism of relative peace they would do well to respect the contributions of those grand old men in fast tracking our maturity as a country - it directly influenced this peace. They did not die for nothing. They did help this country come of age.

Future Australian troops.

The ANZACs fought for England.

Not for Australia. For England.

I'm an ex soldier and even I find the jingoism around the ANZAC myth perplexing and frankly re writing history to a large extent.

Future Australian troops.

The ANZACs fought for England.

Not for Australia. For England.

I'm an ex soldier and even I find the jingoism around the ANZAC myth perplexing and frankly re writing history to a large extent.

Australians were British subjects not English.

Jesus at least get that right

Rubbish, it is people like you that make it difficult for new comers to assimilate.

What a load of rubbish.

You reckon she hadn't assimilated? She had assimilated so well that she was on an organising committee for the centenary commemorations for Gallipoli. I don't think you get anymore assimilated than that.

In this instance she knew exactly what she was doing and saying. Unfortunately it blew back straight in her face.

She's an immature, entitled smartarse.

What a load of rubbish.

You reckon she hadn't assimilated? She had assimilated so well that she was on an organising committee for the centenary commemorations for Gallipoli. I don't think you get anymore assimilated than that.

In this instance she knew exactly what she was doing and saying. Unfortunately it blew back straight in her face.

Here we are, another member of the digilante.

I find it highly perplexing that Yassmin finds her free speech has been violated when she has been so prompt to have a whinge when people express their concerns and criticisms of her comments. It again seems she is only interested in her free speech and has zero care or tolerance for anyone else's.

c

(Log in to remove this ad.)

anything you want to disagree with in my post or is that it?

I noticed in the other thread on the boats that in the face of contrary evidence you either just disappeared or ignored it and moved on.
Your comment re assimilation, you would know this, how?
Still stick by my 'digilante' comment.

Re other thread, glad you made time to research, never disappeared but in the face of other posters ignorance, you move on.

And here's the campaigners response

It's straight out of the modern conservative playbook. Say something ghastly often violent about an opponent, then complain loudly that nobody has a sense of humour any more, and when they're are called out for this; FREE SPEECH!!!!!!!!!!! Rinse, and repeat.

Australia was just voted in the top ten countries for immigrants in the world -, 8th i believe.
http://www.smh.com.au/world/migrant...to-be-an-immigrant-study-20170710-gx8nfz.html

Fake news probably - the s**t holes where they come from are better!!.

All Western countries i believe.

Your last line is far more to the point than anything else, a spoilt brat is much more likely than any perceived racial or religious bias.

Yeah but you also long for a one world government and a world without borders, of course you find the concept of nationalism offensive. Fact is Australia was founded by the British and that blighted generation of mainly white kids went into the charnel house in defence of king and country. What they achieved at extraordinary cost to themselves was simply nation defining. Their legend was earned and the later day attempts of the left to deny this legacy speaks volumes, however the rest of us are not too far gone to understand the debt of gratitude and respect that we owe them.

Yeah but you also long for a one world government and a world without borders, of course you find the concept of nationalism offensive. Fact is Australia was founded by the British and that blighted generation of mainly white kids went into the charnel house in defence of king and country. What they achieved at extraordinary cost to themselves was nation defining, which still resonates today. Their legend was earned and the later day attempts of the left to deny this legacy speaks volumes.
What did the Anzacs do that still resonates today? Was it the lying in the mud dying, and screaming for their mothers, or was cutting a swathe through the Egyptian cat houses?

The Frontier Wars probably did more to define Australia than the Anzacs ever did, but we never seem to want to talk about them .
What? I have no doubt they have had an effect on some of the 1st nations it affected. The frontier wars are mired in bad history and left wing propoganda. WW1 touched almost everyone last century in one form or another

Yeah but then you have to wonder what they were doing in Gallipoli in the first place if we went over to help them? ANZAC Day can arguably be thought of (as pointed out by Xsess above) as when Australia ("western" identity) started having an independent non-British identity.
Thats rubbish, a fantasy created by Charles Bean we were the british peoples living in Australia. After Ww2 we opposed the British decision to make our passports and citizenship seperate from Britain. Britain only forced this decision on us because the Canadians wanted out.

It's straight out of the modern conservative playbook. Say something ghastly often violent about an opponent, then complain loudly that nobody has a sense of humour any more, and when they're are called out for this; FREE SPEECH!!!!!!!!!!! Rinse, and repeat.
What a dumb statement to make labelling this act as a conservative thing. Two people who engaged in this same practice were Kathy Griffin and Rosie O'Donnell x many and neither are conservative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back