Autopsy **** yeah! Pies beat Weagles

Remove this Banner Ad

I am going to do a Bruce McAvaney and share a stupid stat.
At one point in the game they put a table up showing the relationship between the number of goals Kennedy kicks and the games they win.
At that stage WCE had won every game where Kennedy had kicked 6 goals or more.
So this was the first time that the eagles have lost a game when Kennedy has kicked 6 or more goals.

I'd hate to be an Eagles fan right now. They blew that!

This view will grind the gears of a few, but we won three 10 minute blocks of the match with two of them the result of individual brilliance. They were an even spread of footy into their forward half in the last 30 minutes away from blowing us out. For 80% of the match we played exactly the way we couldn't afford to by bombing the ball into an undersized forward third. Yeah we figured it out late, but it came on the back of Shuey, Gaff, Priddis and Sheed not winning a CP in the last quarter.

No doubt it was a great win with two down on the bench, but that wasn't done on the back of sustainable mechanisms it was on the back of individual brilliance. Without JDG we don't win! It's a brilliant sign for him, but not for the team, IMO.
Here's another perspective...
"This was the 16th time Kennedy and slotted six majors and up until Sunday, the Eagles have won all of them.
This was a huge choke from the visitors, and Elliot may never forget his miss, but they’re not the story.
Collingwood is.
The Pies showed tremendous ticker and bravery"
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/9ab358147560f8817d656c07b6dad633

I am going to do a Bruce McAvaney and share a stupid stat.
At one point in the game they put a table up showing the relationship between the number of goals Kennedy kicks and the games they win.
At that stage WCE had won every game where Kennedy had kicked 6 goals or more.
So this was the first time that the eagles have lost a game when Kennedy has kicked 6 or more goals.
Thanks Bruce :)

As did Dunn, Howe, Maynard, Treloar, Fasolo, Maynard, Elliott, Blair, Varcoe, Adams, even Wells set Thomas up with a poor handball.
You take that Wells comment back ;)

Only joking- they all make mistakes from time to time

We'll spotted - time to trade his ass out so that we can get back into the second round while he still has some trade value left!
the way we traded last year we'd be lucky to get a 4th round pick.

We probably got out of jail against a side that can't travel but it was a win full of fighting merit and at the end some ability from DeGoey and some class from Elliot with the goal to put us in front. That was a pressure goal. It was also great to see the reaction to Fasolo's sealer.

We probably got out of jail against a side that can't travel but it was a win full of fighting merit and at the end some ability from DeGoey and some class from Elliot with the goal to put us in front. That was a pressure goal. It was also great to see the reaction to Fasolo's sealer.

I think the issue for the Eagles is more the MCG than travelling. They had played 3 games at Etihad so far this year and won 2 of them. Admittingly the loss was a monster one to Essendon.

We had only played at Etihad once for one loss. So it was hardly a home ground advantage for us.

I sat right behind the bench yesterday and it gave me an interesting insight into the game.

Although we won, I actually left quite frustrated at some of the player management.

When Darcy Moore got injured, Ben Reid and Alex Fasolo both came to the bench about 5 minutes later. During that time, we had absolutely no forward line. We were pumping it in, but there was no one that could influence a contest. West Coast ended up kicking a goal on the counter.

I was also shocked that Elliott and Fasolo kept rotating. I would've thought that we needed both of them on at the same time given the absence of Moore. Especially when Grundy was off and Reid had to go into the ruck.

I don't know if this is a coaching issue, but it probably takes more leadership from the players and the interchange staff to ensure the right players are on at the right time.

It is all very programmed and organized...but there doesn't seem to be the ability to be flexible when injuries occur.

Even in the last 5 minutes, just prior to the Elliott goal, Fasolo was sitting on the bench. I was yelling out "Get Blair off and Fasolo on". Surely Fas was the more likely to be the match winner at that point.

Even at the end of the game, we had Maynard and Wells on the bench. Maynard was the right call, but I would've preferred Wells on over probably Josh Thomas given the circumstances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I sat right behind the bench yesterday and it gave me an interesting insight into the game.

Although we won, I actually left quite frustrated at some of the player management.

When Darcy Moore got injured, Ben Reid and Alex Fasolo both came to the bench about 5 minutes later. During that time, we had absolutely no forward line. We were pumping it in, but there was no one that could influence a contest. West Coast ended up kicking a goal on the counter.

I was also shocked that Elliott and Fasolo kept rotating. I would've thought that we needed both of them on at the same time given the absence of Moore. Especially when Grundy was off and Reid had to go into the ruck.

I don't know if this is a coaching issue, but it probably takes more leadership from the players and the interchange staff to ensure the right players are on at the right time.

It is all very programmed and organized...but there doesn't seem to be the ability to be flexible when injuries occur.

Even in the last 5 minutes, just prior to the Elliott goal, Fasolo was sitting on the bench. I was yelling out "Get Blair off and Fasolo on". Surely Fas was the more likely to be the match winner at that point.

Even at the end of the game, we had Maynard and Wells on the bench. Maynard was the right call, but I would've preferred Wells on over probably Josh Thomas given the circumstances.

Or maybe the rotations as done were why Reid was actually a strong influence throughout the game and was actually able to fill that 2nd ruck breach as well as he did, maybe Fasolo was able to run out the game due to his rotations, maybe Wells has very specifically timed rotations to ensure he doesn't get injured. Ideally, you always want your best 18 out on the field but that just isn't practical. There are about 20-25 guys managing the team throughout the course of a game and they have access to data we don't, they won't always get everything right, but I'm not sure why you'd presume that they made so many errors.

My problem is the lack of a third man getting to the contest in these situations.
That can be attributed to the opposition spreading our defenders.
Teams are focussing on making Howe accountable and stopping him from doing it.

I don't think I can add much to what has already been posted. Very pleased with the win, and the fire in the team at the end. Not so happy about the injuries.
Interested in the obsevation of a rigid rotation policy that did not take account of the situation on the field. I heard the best of our local coaches say that he has no input on the interchanges: he leaves that to the people reponsible. Collingwood is probably the same, and so the interchange manager needs to look at more than his spreadsheet during the game.
Agree that the Reid free was a shocker, but we lost far more than we gained on that particular swing. The apparent victimization of Treloar (over the season) when it comes to holding the ball comes to mind. If the umpires are going to give 50 for the case against Goldsack, then why are all of the cases of greater time wasting where players are held on the ground to prevent them getting up to play on ignored? Happens all the time. I hate the distortions in the game that the rule tinkering has caused. Think of the occasion when Dunn was afraid to touch the ball on the boundary because he had been pinged for deliberate earlier when he pushed the ball in the direction he was moving on the only side where there was no opponent. The rules making a player afraid to go for the ball is a travesty. It doesn't pay to get me started on this does it?

Pros:
De Goey. I have loved this guy from the start (same with Maynard). Never any doubt of his ability but now starting to see it on a more consistent basis.

Grundy. 46 hitouts, 18 possessions and several pack marks. Continously gave our midfielders first opportunity for the ball.

Adams. For all his faults (i.e. kicking), nobody can knock his heart. Ditto for Treloar and Greenwood.

Wells. Pure silk.

Team not giving in.

Cons:
Nobody has doubted that the players are playing for Bucks. But Bucks, give your players half a chance and change the rancid game plan. Our slow and haphazard transition out of defence (i.e. kick to HBF kick back to FB, switch to other side, dicky kick sideways to HB, turnover, GOAL). Opposition know our game plan and lie in wait for us to make a mistake, and we never fail to disappoint.

Dominating every statistic but just falling over the line. If it was any ither team other than WCE it may have been a different result.

I'm still of the view that Bucks shouldn't be re-signed, as another 1-2 years of being middling, or below middling, would be soul-destroying. But a great win is a great win, whichever way you cast it, and the players were overjoyed. I now feel more for them than for Bucks, Eddie, or anyone else at the club. The players work their guts out, they follow instructions, they get hurt for each other. Whatever mess the club has got itself into is not down to them. Love to see them so happy, even if its only temporary.
Of course he shouldn't be re-signed.

Then why have coaches, Coaching During games when they make NO Difference?

Wish they put Grundy Forward More
To make in-game changes but it is still up to the players to carry out.
Yes I agree thought that was a good move, used to happen a lot with the ruck instead of going off rest up forward. Would like to see more of that.

I'd hate to be an Eagles fan right now. They blew that!

This view will grind the gears of a few, but we won three 10 minute blocks of the match with two of them the result of individual brilliance. They were an even spread of footy into their forward half in the last 30 minutes away from blowing us out. For 80% of the match we played exactly the way we couldn't afford to by bombing the ball into an undersized forward third. Yeah we figured it out late, but it came on the back of Shuey, Gaff, Priddis and Sheed not winning a CP in the last quarter.

No doubt it was a great win with two down on the bench, but that wasn't done on the back of sustainable mechanisms it was on the back of individual brilliance. Without JDG we don't win! It's a brilliant sign for him, but not for the team, IMO.
Your analysis may well be spot on but since I've seen so many losses where individual brilliance has killed us, I'll take that win, even if it's only one occasion where we get one back. We owe the competition a lot more FU's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back