Discussion Year in Review – 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought we could do with a nice little template for this year's discussion.

Final Overall Rank: 232
Highest Overall Rank: 61 (Round 19)
Highest Round Score: 2,675 (Round 20)
Highest Round Rank: 603 (Round 17)
Leagues Won: 0
Average Captaincy Score: 134.9
Starting Picks in Final Side: 13
Best Trades:
  • Setterfield to Petracca (Round 8)
  • H Clark to Daicos (Round 2)
  • McVee to Merrett (Round 9)
  • Humphrey to L Ryan (Round 15)
  • D Cameron to English (Round 4).
Worst Trades:
  • S Mitchell to De Goey (Round 12)
  • Weddle to J Cameron (Round 14)
  • Darcy to D Cameron (Round 3)
When Did You Run out of Trades?: Round 18 (lol)
Who Are You Building a Shrine To?: Tim English. 149.4 captaincy average from 7 games. Also, didn't break which is incredible.
Who Are You Launching into the Sun?: Jeremy Cameron. Traded him in with an average of 98.1, then he proceeded to score 479 points for the rest of the year in 11 rounds, for an adjusted average of 43.5. My worst ever trade by some distance.

Your 2023 SC Board Poster of the Year (unofficial): Maybe Tomorrow. A consistent presence who is both humourous and informative. HM to Scoops gutsroy, who's newsbreaking expertise and Jeremy Cameron melts got me through.

Thanks for another great year, friends 💖

Happy New Year GIF by HBO

Finished 6058, worst finish in quite a while

Not starting Errol, Daicos cost me while many of my starter premos got injured (Stewart, Doc, Witts, cameron etc)

First year I really moved away from the Premo/Rookie starting squad and I listened to more SC content compared to previous years. I found these content providers persuaded me to go certain ways which i normally wouldn't of done and more often then not was to my detriment

Will look to go back to my normal approach in 2024 and go with my gut

Alright, let's give this a lash...

Final Overall Rank: 1,671
Highest Overall Rank: 1,671 (Final)
Highest Round Score: 2,784 (Round 24)
Highest Round Rank: 293 (Round 20)
Leagues Won: 1
Average Captaincy Score: 128.9
Starting Picks in Final Side: 10 (including a Roughied Tom Stewart)
Best Trades:
  • D Cameron to Taranto (Round 4)
  • Mackenzie to Butters (Round 6)
  • Weddle to Ryan (Round 14)
  • Oliver to Bont (Round 16)
Worst Trades:
  • LDU in (Round 3)
  • Ashcroft to Mills (Round 9) :poo:
  • Walsh in (Round 10)
Roughies: 3 - Stewart (Out Rnd 2, In Rnd 5), D Cameron (Out Rnd 4, In Rnd 15), Sicily (Out Rnd 14, In Rnd 22)
When Did You Run out of Trades?: Round 23
Who Are You Building a Shrine To?: Starting ruck duo of Stick Insect English and Holler Marshall. No missed games, top 2 rucks by average.
Who Are You Launching into the Sun?: LDU and Callum Mills. LDU I traded in twice this season, only for him to be an immediate late out each time. Luckily I caught it in time on the second occasion and was able to jump ship to someone else mid-round. Mills I bought as a cut-price premo investment due to his high floor, high ceiling and reliability. He immediately responded with a 4, lost $50k and missed 5 weeks.

Your 2023 SC Board Poster of the Year (unofficial): I dunno. Everyone's contributions make it work!

Crazy Stat: I only had 3 red arrows all season. I'll give you 1 guess when they were? Wheel of Fortune Hint: F--- T-- B---

Final Overall Rank: 1,065
Highest Overall Rank: 1,065 (Season's End)
Highest Round Score: 2,843 (Round 24)
Highest Round Rank: 149 (Round 24)
Leagues Won: 6 out of 6 GF's Won
Average Captaincy Score: 133.7. My only 2 under 100 were both Laird, with a 50 in Round-1 & 84 in Round-16.
Starting Picks in Final Side: 11 (if you count Madden & Constable)
Best Trades:
  • Darcy to English (Round 4)
  • Mackenzie to S.Ryan (Round 5)
  • Hopper to Zerrett (Round 10)
  • S.Ryan to Sicily (Round 11) People have forgotten about Samson, but I think jumping on & off him at the correct time was a huge key.
  • T.Green to Butters (Round 18).
Worst Trades:
  • Ginbey to Touk (Round 6)
  • Chesser to Fyfe (Round 14)
  • O.Baker to H.Sharp (Round 10)
When Did You Run out of Trades?: Round 24 (only used/needed 2 over the final 6 rounds)
Who Are You Building a Shrine To?: Bont
Who Are You Launching into the Sun?: Fyfe... Didn't expect much... & still under-performed

Biggest Regrets: Not starting Naicos when I had him in my team all pre-season (Thanks Finn) & Holding Clarry (because he would be "good to go by King's Birthday")

Your 2023 SC Board Poster of the Year (unofficial): WaynesWorld19 & SC fish for all the collating & organising work they did both before & through the season.

Last edited:
Final Overall Rank: 572
Highest Overall Rank: 572
Highest Round Score: 2,735 (Round 24)
Highest Round Rank: 160 (Round 19)
Leagues Won: 4
Average Captaincy Score: 129.9
Starting Picks in Final Side: 9
Best Trades:
  • Walsh to L. Jackson (Round 20)
  • L. Edwards to Briggs (Round 12)
  • Angwin to Windhager (Round 14)
Worst Trades:
  • Daicos to Docherty (Round 22)
  • Ginbey to Touk (Round 6)
  • Philippou to Oliver (Round 8)
When Did You Run out of Trades?: Round 24
Who Are You Building a Shrine To?: Luke Jackson. Had an average of 130 over the finals as a POD in every game. Went against the grain that week trading him in and did my own research on his stats as a solo ruck once Darcy was ruled out for the season.
Who Are You Launching into the Sun?: Clayton Oliver. Need I say more?

Your 2023 SC Board Poster of the Year (unofficial): DaveyBoy123 for late changes

I think this sums up my year
jurassic park deal with it GIF

Poster of the Year - everyone that contributes regularly, but special mentions to Maybe Tomorrow, Gutsroy, DaveyBoy and Obese Arachnid.

Thanks WaynesWorld19 for the extra yards and the other mods for whatever they do

If the team you support is in the finals, may they bring you some finals joy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't like to brag & there's a good reason for that.

1693218128710.png

Don't know where it went wrong, I started so well.

1693218275802.png

So after I sooked & sucked for a few weeks, making some poor choices & bad luck I went full on into league win.
So I was quite happy with how I made it to my main GF. Scoped out my opponent team for the two or so weeks & looped VC & C, traded, boosted etc accordingly. All the while doing it on a budget.

As usual I really ballsed up the last two weeks with trades, loops, C/VC, generally out thinking myself.

My name is about to be engraved into our trophy for the fifth time as runner up.

23451.gif

I mean love you kenties.

EDIT: I missed so many cash cows too. Hence bargain basement buying.

Last edited:
Final Overall Rank: 2,883
Highest Overall Rank: 2,388 (Round 9)
Highest Round Score: 2,699 (Round 20)
Highest Round Rank: 1,323 (around 20)
Leagues Won: 0 (made 2 GFs and got pantsed by 100 in each of them)
Average Captaincy Score: 135.2 (was nearly 140 but for an English 99 and Dunkley 77)
Starting Picks in Final Side: 10 (5 of them forwards, 2 Madden & Constable. 2 were roughies in Stewart and Cameron. No wonder I ran out of trades! 🤯 )
Best Trades:
  • Macrae, Bruhn -> Daicos, Ziebell (after Round 2)
  • Cameron -> Gulden (after Round 3)
  • Witts, Doch, Mackenzie -> English, Stewart, JVR (after Round 4)
Worst Trades:
  • Stewart -> Rioli (after Round 1)
  • Bowes, Ginbey, Caminiti -> Touk, Roberts, Johnson (just unlucky)
  • Sheezel -> DCameron (after Round 14)
When Did You Run out of Trades? Round 23 (Naicos)
Who Are You Building a Shrine To?

Butters and Bont
Who Are You Launching into the Sun?
Red Bull Rowell and Dan Rioli

Biggest Regrets: Not starting Naicos when I had him in my team all pre-season & not immediately trading Stewart to him after Rd 1. Went Rioli instead who was like an anchor on my team the rest of the season.

2nd biggest regret was it not even occurring to me to bye flip him instead of Sheezel. That decision cost me about 1,000 spots in rank alone.

Your 2023 SC Board Poster of the Year (unofficial): always enjoyed Scythe94 ’s posts

1693222702078.png

Final Overall Rank: 1483
Highest Overall Rank: 1483 (Round 24)
Highest Round Score: 2717 (Round 24)
Highest Round Rank: 180 (Round 23)
Leagues Won: 4/10

Average Captaincy Score: 131.4
Highest captain score: Bont 182 (rd6)
Lower captain score: Laird 50 (rd1)
Most captained player: Bont 10 times (the remaining 14 were split over 8 players, and none of those players had it more than 3 times)

Starting Picks in Final Side: 11/30 (included ConstaGOAT and ChessGOAT)
Best starting picks: No stand-outs, all were very high ownership. Bont, Rozee, Gulden, etc.
Worst starting picks: Where to begin... Doch, Ridley and Darcy were bad, but Bruhn and Constable take the cake.

Best Trades:
  • Bruhn to Sheezel (round 2)
  • Chandler to Zerrett (round 10)
  • Daicos to Newman (round 22)
Worst Trades:
  • the R2 disaster (started Darcy, moved to DCameron, then to Grundy, then to Gawn... FML)
  • rookie trade-in failures (Roberts, Angwin, Sharp, McAndrew, Mullin, DevRob)
  • Oliver in for $700k (round 4)
  • Steele in (round 9)
  • Fyfe in (round 14)
  • Mills in (round 17)
When Did You Run out of Trades?: round 22
Who Are You Building a Shrine To?: Big-rig Briggs, a true premo ruck starter option in 2024. Also Nic Newman as the NDaicos replacement, 116 average in the final 3 rounds.
Who Are You Launching into the Sun?: Mills. Brought him in in rd17. Hardly used him. When I did he scored horribly. I got his 30something in round 23, and I didn't get his 140something in round 24.

Your 2023 SC Board Poster of the Year (unofficial): All the regular posters. Thanks for the laughs. SC wouldn't be the same without you legends! Enjoy the finals, enjoy the off-season, and looking forward to doing it all again next year.

Team value: $14,476,700

How it started: (rds 1-4)
:sick:

1693222603940.png

How it ended: (rds 21-24)
:chartingup:

1693222626601.png

Last edited:
1693281118256.png
Final Overall Rank: 874
Highest Overall Rank:
235 (Round 14)
Highest Round Score: 2,641 (Round 20)
Highest Round Rank: 2168 (Round 21)

Incredibly consistent, had a shocker in week 22 and week 8 was a stuff up with my emergency, lost 108 points.

1693282942749.png

Leagues Won: 1/10
Average Captaincy Score: 129.0
Starting Picks in Final Side: 11 (Includes Davey and Constable)
Best Trades:

1693282043172.png

Libba super POD, Ryan made $240k and scored 4 times for me at an average of 78

Worst Trades:

1693281397628.png

Sheezel + Day =2273 points
Cameron + Lloyd = 1881

Teams with these players + Himmelberg and a couple of other B grade pick ups beat my 'premium' team late in year.

Points > reputation !

1693281586577.png

846 points out 510 points in

When Did You Run out of Trades?: Round 21 but I absolutely wasted the last 3 for poor reasoning
Who Are You Building a Shrine To?: All of my Bulldogs players, Bont, English, Dunkley! and Libba (11798 points between them) - but not you Macrae
Who Are You Launching into the Sun?: I brought Macrae in for finals, he played 3 of 4 times and averaged 64

Learnings from this year, my method of choosing a starting squad is top notch (I give every player a predicted score, add in some formulae, ie players over 30 lose 5%+ etc and then I solve for best output using Excel Solver. But my trading is more by whim than maths, and I need to leave 2 trades for the final round!

For any nerdy types who are bored here's each players contribution to my teams score

1693282762255.png

Attachments

• 1693282670559.png
    1693282670559.png
    16 KB · Views: 14
  • 1693282871308.png
    1693282871308.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 15
View attachment 1789274
Final Overall Rank: 874
Highest Overall Rank:
235 (Round 14)
Highest Round Score: 2,641 (Round 20)
Highest Round Rank: 2168 (Round 21)

Incredibly consistent, had a shocker in week 22 and week 8 was a stuff up with my emergency, lost 108 points.

View attachment 1789306

Leagues Won: 1/10
Average Captaincy Score: 129.0
Starting Picks in Final Side: 11 (Includes Davey and Constable)
Best Trades:

View attachment 1789290

Libba super POD, Ryan made $240k and scored 4 times for me at an average of 78

Worst Trades:

View attachment 1789282

Sheezel + Day =2273 points
Cameron + Lloyd = 1881

Teams with these players + Himmelberg and a couple of other B grade pick ups beat my 'premium' team late in year.

Points > reputation !

View attachment 1789283

846 points out 510 points in

When Did You Run out of Trades?: Round 21 but I absolutely wasted the last 3 for poor reasoning
Who Are You Building a Shrine To?: All of my Bulldogs players, Bont, English, Dunkley! and Libba (11798 points between them) - but not you Macrae
Who Are You Launching into the Sun?: I brought Macrae in for finals, he played 3 of 4 times and averaged 64

Learnings from this year, my method of choosing a starting squad is top notch (I give every player a predicted score, add in some formulae, ie players over 30 lose 5%+ etc and then I solve for best output using Excel Solver. But my trading is more by whim than maths, and I need to leave 2 trades for the final round!

For any nerdy types who are bored here's each players contribution to my teams score

View attachment 1789303
I'm like a proud parent, this is beautiful 😍

Having finished a career-high 495th in 2022, was rightfully optimistic heading into this year.
Unfortunately, due to my own incompetence and the gods scorn, it didn't go quite as well.
Fullscreen capture 3092023 63234 PM.bmp.jpg
Managed to hold my head above water most of the year until a complete and utter implosion in the final month where i played the final 2 weeks with 3 donuts + Maric at F6 and dropped 20k.

starting Doc over Naicos/Dawson
Not starting Gulden
Never getting Butters
Not starting Day, getting him then trading him out and he immediately returned to his HB scab role
Trading Marshall out ( inj concern at the time ) to Gawn and not Briggs
starting Macrae over Bont/Libba

Final Overall Rank: 30,975
Highest Overall Rank: 8,977th ( rd 7 )
Highest Round Score: 2,603 ( rd 20 )
Highest Round Rank: 1,466 ( rd 18 )
Leagues Won: 0

Best Trades: Ziebell to sinclair probably

Worst Trades: How long you got ?

Rage-trading Hodor out after his 41 in rd 2 ( avg 68.5 - proceeded to avg 124 over the next 7 weeks )

Trading sheezel out, back in then out AGAIN in rd 13 ( avg 96 - proceeded to avg 101 for the rest of the year )

Panic-trading Marshall due to the ankle concerns ( avg 110 - proceeded to avg 114 for the rest of the year )

Getting sturt, Roberts, Angwin, sharp, sinn, Woewodin, cooper Harvey, Eddie Ford and Blake " The Make-A-Wish Kid " Drury

When Did You Run out of Trades?: rd 20
Who Are You Building a Shrine To?: Myself for not smashing my laptop with a hammer in frustration
Who Are You Launching into the Sun?: Bevvo

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back