Unofficial Preview Yellow Wings For Derby Final

Javelin

All Australian
Jun 6, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Something I think you're all overlooking, we've only ever worn royal wings (once was navy wings in '96 -- vs Carlton of all teams!) and the tri-panel in finals games, home or away. Why we'd go to the white now when we have a history of not wearing it in finals is anybody's guess. My understanding is that the AFL tries to make finals as visually appealing for both teams as possible, by reducing the use of the alternate kit (obviously this isn't always possible, as seen when Pies played Saints). I'm sure if we (i.e. WCE) requested, and they (being Freo) accepted, we could wear the wings and Freo could wear white (assuming we even face them in the finals).

Can someone clarify for me the actual rules regarding uniforms in finals. Obviously the Port one last year was a shambles and our wearing white shorts in the home semi vs Carlton I presumed to be Victorian incompetence, but do they work to the regular home/away/clash policy, does the highest finishing team get first preference or does the AFL make requests?

Can someone clarify for me the actual rules regarding uniforms in finals. Obviously the Port one last year was a shambles and our wearing white shorts in the home semi vs Carlton I presumed to be Victorian incompetence, but do they work to the regular home/away/clash policy, does the highest finishing team get first preference or does the AFL make requests?
Home team gets preference but sometimes they changed it on the fly because they're incompetent.

Grand final there's a coin toss fit shorts

Home team gets preference but sometimes they changed it on the fly because they're incompetent.

Grand final there's a coin toss fit shorts
So would it be at all feasibly that Fremantle would choose to wear white when they weren't required to? It was mentioned earlier in the thread that they had their only GF in the white, could build up a case for it. You or anyone else know if they've ever bypassed the purple for the white (can't see why they ever would to be honest).

So would it be at all feasibly that Fremantle would choose to wear white when they weren't required to? It was mentioned earlier in the thread that they had their only GF in the white, could build up a case for it. You or anyone else know if they've ever bypassed the purple for the white (can't see why they ever would to be honest).
No.

They wore white because they were told white shorts and they'd rather wear the white jumper with white shorts. If they were told purple shorts, they are wearing all purple and that's it.

wing it

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Personally I reckon royal wings vs purple wouldn't be a major clash. Maybe a minor one. Back in the 90s it happened a few times, but Freo also had red and green

Feb 9, 2012
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
Something I think you're all overlooking, we've only ever worn royal wings (once was navy wings in '96 -- vs Carlton of all teams!) and the tri-panel in finals games, home or away. Why we'd go to the white now when we have a history of not wearing it in finals is anybody's guess. My understanding is that the AFL tries to make finals as visually appealing for both teams as possible, by reducing the use of the alternate kit (obviously this isn't always possible, as seen when Pies played Saints). I'm sure if we (i.e. WCE) requested, and they (being Freo) accepted, we could wear the wings and Freo could wear white (assuming we even face them in the finals).

We've only had the white clash since 2010. In that time we havent played a final against Brisbane, Bulldogs or freo. They are the only teams we wear it against, maybe a one off home outing against the bombers or tigers as we've done in the past. So to say we never wear the white in finals is true, but we've never played against a team when we'd need to wear it, so we don't really know if it would have happened if needed in that time.

Personally I reckon royal wings vs purple wouldn't be a major clash. Maybe a minor one. Back in the 90s it happened a few times, but Freo also had red and green

Another not quite lmach effort (hint hint lmach, we need a high quality jersey swap please)

ShepRoyal%20copy.jpg

Doesn't seem to be a massive clash, although who knows when there's a huge pack. Could probably get away with this now tbh, which begs the question why have we been wearing the clash this entire time? Can't be for marketing purposes, cause I don't know too many kids who will rush out and buy the jersey we just lost a derby in.

Jul 19, 2012
Wanneroo
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Phoenix Coyotes
Freo's purple is closer to navy now for some reason and our royal is also getting on the darker side too, I noticed.

I think if we wore 2015 royal jumpers against their "purple", there would be a huge clash. Obviously the solution is to beat freo in a few weeks and win the minor premiership so we have first dibs on jumper selection all throughout the finals.

Freo's purple is closer to navy now for some reason and our royal is also getting on the darker side too, I noticed.

I think if we wore 2015 royal jumpers against their "purple", there would be a huge clash. Obviously the solution is to beat freo in a few weeks and win the minor premiership so we have first dibs on jumper selection all throughout the finals.
GF would still be a coin toss.

Javelin

All Australian
Jun 6, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Why the hell would they ever accept that though?
Because the white jumper is just as much a part of the Freo identity as their purple. And I don't just mean that it is their away jumper.

Freo, through their actions, have clearly stated that they have a purple kit and a white kit. They refuse to wear a mix of the two because each has its own place in their overall identity. Yes, they wear purple at home and white away, but there's no reason they couldn't wear white at home (and I know of many Freo fans that would embrace the white just as much, if not more than the purple).

It is for this reason I can't wait to return the wings. I want West Coast to have a single brand/identity - that being the wings - and use that for all their kits, home, away, alternate, and anything else. Eventually it won't become a matter of "home" and "away", but just "peril", "navy" and "royal", with each being worn when appropriate (bear in mind, I'm only including navy because I know it's coming no matter what and can't pretend it won't).

Javelin

All Australian
Jun 6, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
We've only had the white clash since 2010. In that time we havent played a final against Brisbane, Bulldogs or freo. They are the only teams we wear it against, maybe a one off home outing against the bombers or tigers as we've done in the past. So to say we never wear the white in finals is true, but we've never played against a team when we'd need to wear it, so we don't really know if it would have happened if needed in that time.
Point taken. I just get the feeling West Coast will wear wings in the finals whenever they can, home or away. I have no basis for this, but believe the tri-panel has only been worn when mandated by the AFL for whatever stupid reason they deem justifies it at the time. I'm probably wrong, though.

Feb 9, 2012
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
Point taken. I just get the feeling West Coast will wear wings in the finals whenever they can, home or away. I have no basis for this, but believe the tri-panel has only been worn when mandated by the AFL for whatever stupid reason they deem justifies it at the time. I'm probably wrong, though.

I don't know what the deal is/was for finals, and why we changed from 05 to 06 for the QF against the exact same team, who wore the exact same guernsey. I can only assume it was because someone (the club, or more likely the AFL) thought royal vs red was more visually appealing, than navy vs red.

Problem we have now, is that we don't have home wings made up, so we'd need to get some specially made, just for a home final, when in the clubs eyes, we have a perfectly suitable home guernsey already, which has been worn in finals, even when a slight clash has occured (semi against carlton 2011) Since the introduction of the clash, we've never had home wings, or away tri panel, as it was not needed.

It sucks, but we'll be in tri panel for home finals or clash if we're "away" against Freo, unless this current movement goes well.

GF would still be a coin toss.
I don't think it is anymore. Pretty sure I remember reading something about the AFL just makes the decision on what is the best, working with the clubs requests. No idea where I read it though.

Feb 9, 2012
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't think it is anymore. Pretty sure I remember reading something about the AFL just makes the decision on what is the best, working with the clubs requests. No idea where I read it though.

I reckon the AFL would aim to get the 2 teams in their most recongnisable guernsey, for visual purposes, so that usually means the home guernsey (unless it's West Coast:drunk:) then if the teams can't/don't agree, then it would go to the higher ranking team, like Collingwood vs Saints 2010. Freo had the option of wearing purple with white shorts, but chose to wear all white. You'd hope that common sense would prevail these days. Like in our 2011 PF agaisnt the cats, it made more sense for us to wear full royal, and the cat's white shorts, but then back in 92 & 94, it was the old, white shorts away rule, so it was cats in blue shorts, us in white, even though in 94 we were the higher ranking team.

The whole thing is a mess really, and I think common sense needs to be used more than home vs away team.

wing it

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Another not quite lmach effort (hint hint lmach, we need a high quality jersey swap please)

ShepRoyal%20copy.jpg

Doesn't seem to be a massive clash, although who knows when there's a huge pack. Could probably get away with this now tbh, which begs the question why have we been wearing the clash this entire time? Can't be for marketing purposes, cause I don't know too many kids who will rush out and buy the jersey we just lost a derby in.
That's enough evidence for me. :)

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls
Nope. They don't have wings in home sponsor arrangement.

So unless something changes, any Perth final would be in tri-panel or white table cloth.

In 2006 we wore tri-panel v Sydney in Perth, then Royal in GF.

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls
That's enough evidence for me. :)
Not for me. If it was like that, would be fine.

The current Royal and Purple are both darker than that picture. Hence us always wearing white in away derbies.

Though I'd love to see us wear yellow indigenous in this years away derby. And a 'yellow peril' special for any possible finals

Not for me. If it was like that, would be fine.

The current Royal and Purple are both darker than that picture. Hence us always wearing white in away derbies.

Though I'd love to see us wear yellow indigenous in this years away derby. And a 'yellow peril' special for any possible finals
I used a photo of last year's purple but this year's royal, though admittedly a still image of a 1v1 contest isn't too definitive.

Back