News Yes, Harry Dear Has Re-Signed (2 year deal y'all)

Remove this Banner Ad

mustang

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arizona DiamondBacks
Has Dear resigned a new contract or is he looking to be delisted as his out of contact isn't he.

Has Dear resigned a new contract or is he looking to be delisted as his out of contact isn't he.

Asking the wrong crowd, we've got NFI around here. I'd thought he'd have signed a deal immediately after the trade period. Perhaps he's keen to go and the club is desperately trying to convince him to stay. I doubt he's with Henderson and Grigg on the delist pile.

I'd be staggered if we delisted him, would be a monumental * up IMO. Could happen I guess.

the trying to convince him to stay theory might be accurate, but I hope not. Wouldn't expect it to take this long otherwise though to be honest, you haven't heard anything about your lot circling him have you? ;)

Surely if he wanted to go to Hawks he would have requested a trade in trade week. Hawks don't have a pick until what?88 or so. If he elected to be a DFA you'd think he'd get grabbed before then maybe by Brisbane.

What the hell is going on with our list? Is Grigg delisted? Dear? Cheney? Kelly? Henderson?
Would like some info before Monday but I guess not.

What the hell is going on with our list? Is Grigg delisted? Dear? Cheney? Kelly? Henderson?
As a guess...
Re-sign - Dear, Cheney, Kelly (thought already contracted)
Delist - Grigg, Henderson (probable), Shaw (possible)

Cheney and Kelly are both contracted. Henderson, Dear and Grigg are all up in the air.

I suspect Dear and Henderson will be retained

Club sent a twitter out that Cheney around till next year.
Also Heard a rumour they are close to signing Dear. he has an offer so no DFA for him. has to wait for the Preseason Draft if he want to move. Nov 28th
They don't need to announce any de-listing until the Draft.
If they pick up a DFA along with Jarman-69, with ROB rookie upgrade Monday 30th Oct. Means if they want to use Picks 13, 43 and 53 they will need to delist. 2 more. which will be Grigg and maybe Henderson, Shaw can only be a retirement due to health reason,
No DFA could mean either Grigg or Henderson stay, Forced to use 53 and 69 on Jarman again means Grigg or Henderson may get another chance, unless they deem pick 89 will get some one better.
Not that easy any more.

Which means we wait for Monday for Jarman to announce the Crow are the Club and ROB being upgraded to the full list. :D

Final AFL club list lodgement on Nov 30th

So basically another Month of what will happen in the AFL.

C
Club sent a twitter out that Cheney around till next year.
Also Heard a rumour they are close to signing Dear. he has an offer so no DFA for him. has to wait for the Preseason Draft if he want to move. Nov 28th
They don't need to announce any de-listing until the Draft.
If they pick up a DFA along with Jarman-69, with ROB rookie upgrade Monday 30th Oct. Means if they want to use Picks 13, 43 and 53 they will need to delist. 2 more. which will be Grigg and maybe Henderson, Shaw can only be a retirement due to health reason,
No DFA could mean either Grigg or Henderson stay, Forced to use 53 and 69 on Jarman again means Grigg or Henderson may get another chance, unless they deem pick 89 will get some one better.
Not that easy any more.

Which means we wait for Monday for Jarman to announce the Crow are the Club and ROB being upgraded to the full list. :D

Final AFL club list lodgement on Nov 30th

So basically another Month of what will happen in the AFL.
cheers mate for the info. Geez I bloody hope Dear sticks round. I think he is gonna be a gun.

Believe Cheney signed a 3 year deal when he was originally traded, not a 2 year one, so he's already contracted for 2017.

Not sure if this is the best thread to ask, but as someone who has only seen a few matches of our SANFL side this year, what is the reason everyone is so keen on Dear?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I think he's rubbish, but he didn't exactly set the world alight when I watched him. Took a regulation mark here and there and had a decent kick but nothing that made me sit up and think "we have to keep this guy".

But enough people speak highly of him that it makes me think I must be missing something (and to be fair I haven't looked all that hard), so what is it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if this is the best thread to ask, but as someone who has only seen a few matches of our SANFL side this year, what is the reason everyone is so keen on Dear?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I think he's rubbish, but he didn't exactly set the world alight when I watched him. Took a regulation mark here and there and had a decent kick but nothing that made me sit up and think "we have to keep this guy".

But enough people speak highly of him that it makes me think I must be missing something (and to be fair I haven't looked all that hard), so what is it?
Agressive attack on the contest and man, crashes the packs like a classic big man, quite quick for a big man, agile, can clunk a big mark...enough??:)

Agressive attack on the contest and man, crashes the packs like a classic big man, quite quick for a big man, agile, can clunk a big mark...enough??:)

Why do you think Hawrhorn did not take him as a Father-Son selection?

If they did at the time they would not have needed to recruit Vickery

I'm a bit the same

Have seen him do a few good things. Have also watched matches on tv where he manages not to get on the screen once for the entire game

I'm a bit the same

Have seen him do a few good things. Have also watched matches on tv where he manages not to get on the screen once for the entire game
He had a strong 2nd half of the season. Whenever 1 of O'Brien/Lowden/Hunter we're out of the side Dear flourished. But the games where he was playing with all those guys too meant we were too tall up forward and he was no longer a focal point.

He had a strong 2nd half of the season. Whenever 1 of O'Brien/Lowden/Hunter we're out of the side Dear flourished. But the games where he was playing with all those guys too meant we were too tall up forward and he was no longer a focal point.
Did seem that way. A lot of ball was directed to Lowden which was a waste given that he was heading for a delisting.

Did seem that way. A lot of ball was directed to Lowden which was a waste given that he was heading for a delisting.
Can't really ignore a team mate because he may be delisted at the end of the year. ;)

However, it does raise the issue whether we would be better off without a rookie ruckman to replace ROB upgrade, otherwise we will be top heavy in the sanfl & restrict the talls' development. We probably have enough ruck coverage.

Surely if he wanted to go to Hawks he would have requested a trade in trade week. Hawks don't have a pick until what?88 or so. If he elected to be a DFA you'd think he'd get grabbed before then maybe by Brisbane.
A DFA can sign with anybody in the relevant period, they don't need to be drafted.

A delisted free agent is exactly that. A FREE AGENT. They can go where they want. No need for the draft unless they dont get picked up in the DFA period. Which then they will have to nominate for the draft.

Can't really ignore a team mate because he may be delisted at the end of the year. ;)

However, it does raise the issue whether we would be better off without a rookie ruckman to replace ROB upgrade, otherwise we will be top heavy in the sanfl & restrict the talls' development. We probably have enough ruck coverage.
Not sure that drafting should be determined by the balance of the SANFL team.

The ruck is the one position for which having all of the players at one club just doesn't work. The reality is that we need 5-6 ruckmen on the list at any given time, including rookies, and that there's only room for 4 of them in the teams (2x AFL, 2x SANFL). After that, you have to start shoehorning them into other positions (KPP forward or KPP defence). This was always going to be an issue when we moved from having our players dispersed, to having them all at the same SANFL team. Don't get me wrong - the benefits of having all of our players together far outweighs the problems - but having all of our ruckmen in only 2 teams just doesn't work.

Right now we have JJ and Jacobs as the only ruckmen on our senior list. I'm assuming that ROB will be upgraded in this year's National Draft. Hunter is the only other ruckman on our rookie list, and opinions are very much divided when it comes to discussing his future.

I think we should definitely be drafting another ruckman, probably via the Rookie Draft. If that's inconvenient for our SANFL team, then so be it - it's better than being caught short if one or more of our senior ruckmen get injured.

A delisted free agent is exactly that. A FREE AGENT. They can go where they want. No need for the draft unless they dont get picked up in the DFA period. Which then they will have to nominate for the draft.

Yeah right.
Have we offered a contract? I expect that would change things

Remove this Banner Ad

Back