Coach Ken Hinkley - AFL Senior Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

According to Dom, Ken saved Port Adelaide.

Hinkley saved Port
FORMER skipper Dom Cassisi has paid tribute to Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley for turning a “heartbroken’’ playing group into winners.
Lifting the lid on the “unbelievable influence’’ Hinkley has had at the Power since arriving at the club at the end of 2012, Cassisi said he saved a group of men who were “heartbroken, struggling for direction and in a pretty bad space’’.
While there has been several reasons for Port’s climb from AFL basket case to flag hope, including key off-field appointments and the move to Adelaide Oval, Cassisi said Hinkley’s signature has been the big one.
Hinkley saved Port

According to Dom, Ken saved Port Adelaide.

Hinkley saved Port

Hinkley saved Port

What's interesting is the timing of this story- at the end of his second season, he's still getting stories like this written about him. It's quite the honeymoon.

I attribute this to his honesty- which I suspect is of the brutal kind, but true honesty does leave a few bruises. It's so easy to not say the absolute truth to be kind and not hurt people's feelings. Ken seems to have the knack of telling the hard truths without leaving too many wounds. It's a rare trait.

What's interesting is the timing of this story- at the end of his second season, he's still getting stories like this written about him. It's quite the honeymoon.

I attribute this to his honesty- which I suspect is of the brutal kind, but true honesty does leave a few bruises. It's so easy to not say the absolute truth to be kind and not hurt people's feelings. Ken seems to have the knack of telling the hard truths without leaving too many wounds. It's a rare trait.
I love ken hinkley shows his cred through action not words. He sets a fine example and inspires his players to play their best he makes them take responsibility for their mistakes and fixing their problems. We are so lucky to have him an amazingly good fit for our club. We will win a flag under his tutelage I'm certain.

I love ken hinkley shows his cred through action not words. He sets a fine example and inspires his players to play their best he makes them take responsibility for their mistakes and fixing their problems. We are so lucky to have him an amazingly good fit for our club. We will win a flag under his tutelage I'm certain.

I reckon he thinks we will get what we deserve :cool:

13/9/14
Ken Hinkley....BEST press conference ever. So many quotable, inspirational lines.
Remember how awful it used to feel to cringe through every sentence of the press conferences between 1999 and 2012.
Now I listen with unbridled pride that this guy is our coach.
Humble, ruthless, genius.
The most articulate, efficient user of simple words for the Port faithful.
All hail Ken.

Hinkley is the master

what ever was said at half time worked a treat. well done Ken!

I reckon his speeches are dull and uninspiring. Overrated.
I remember Kerls one year - we wanted to go out onto the field and run through a brick wall for him. We lost!
Give me John Kennedy's famous..............oh wait.
Dooohhh :rolleyes:

Some Cornes wisdom :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember Kerls one year - we wanted to go out onto the field and run through a brick wall for him. We lost!

Ken seems to have the right balance between one on one discussions to lift the personalities and balanced with team others to keep the personalities focused on the team first principles.

but your right though; "you are a cog, an important cog", "just focus on your job as a cog and the machine will look after itself". it works but it is not inspiring.

Yeah for all the 'lore surrounding Kerls' famous speeches and legendary coaching nous, these days he tops up his pension payments selling caravans for Noel.

When Kenny finally wraps up his coaching career with AFL premierships under his belt he'll be one of the hottest properties on the motivational speaking circuit.

western royboy promised us innovation and left-field thinking from Ken. He's not quite Picasso more your Rembrandt tending to van Gogh, but there were some nice touches last night. Wingard Moore and Wines in the square when the game was hot, trusting Jakey Neade to come good, getting Jonas off when he couldn't run even though he's an integral part of our team defence.

Ken was certainly brave last night and it paid off in spades.

western royboy promised us innovation and left-field thinking from Ken. He's not quite Picasso more your Rembrandt tending to van Gogh, but there were some nice touches last night. Wingard Moore and Wines in the square when the game was hot, trusting Jakey Neade to come good, getting Jonas off when he couldn't run even though he's an integral part of our team defence.

Ken was certainly brave last night and it paid off in spades.
Don't wait to acknowledge his greatness you are in the midst of it and as a supporter of arguably the greatest side that ever played I wish I could have seen more of my side first hand than I did during their period at them top.

The great cricket philosopher and noted scholar R.M. Hogg once made a comment that J.M. Brearley had "a degree in people" and as a trained psychoanalyst he was no doubt correct. Brearley remains one of the great Test Captains despite not being of a level to command a place in the team on ability alone.

Kenny has a double degree in people and in footy and his footy major is tactics and I'm confident his best is yet to come in that area.

... what ever was said at half time worked a treat ...
I was at the club late in the week, and over at the Allan Scott complex (the training area, gym etc for those not familiar with Alberton). I don't feel I'm breaching confidence when I say I saw on one of the many whiteboards something like "Motivation is overrated. The way you're trained is important, play to the level of your training".
I'm not saying that's any work of genius, I'm just saying the club is actually telling the players not to wait for some magic phrases from Hinkley to save them in tight games, ones that may never come.

I was at the club late in the week, and over at the Allan Scott complex (the training area, gym etc for those not familiar with Alberton). I don't feel I'm breaching confidence when I say I saw on one of the many whiteboards something like "Motivation is overrated. The way you're trained is important, play to the level of your training".
I'm not saying that's any work of genius, I'm just saying the club is actually telling the players not to wait for some magic phrases from Hinkley to save them in tight games, ones that may never come.

At the core of every successful team is one word - BELIEF. Kenny teams cut's no corners but under pressure to do what you have trained yourself to do instinctively is the measure of success. Kenny is the greatest footy motivator I have come across and I understand the concept of wanting to run through brick walls only two wells. But the secret of his motivation is being able to relate it back to the work that has been done and remind the players to believe in themselves and each other.

Many secrets to Kenny's coaching but at the end of the day it's a very basic philosophy of hard work, cutting no corners and committing to the team.

Gotta say that whilst Kenny made some good moves at half time and must have made a decent speech, I was pissed off he started the game letting Mzungu run around like an unregistered dog and did nothing about for 1/2 a game.

Muzungu and Johnson did the same stuff against us for 3/4's against Freo at AO in Rd 8. Its just that we dominated the centre clearances with Jacko and ran in waves into our forward line that we got away with it in the 4th quarter.

When I asked wr about Kenny when it looked like he had the job, I asked if Kenny didn't think playing dishonest unaccountable footy is the way to climb the ladder. Leaving Mzungu free for so long was dishonest unaccountable footy. It was the s**t Choco used to pull so often especially using Chad in 2002 and 2003 in the role and we lost finals because of it.

If Kenny starts the game off against Hawthorn the same way and lets Burgoyne or Birchall be a lose man in the Hawks defence then I will be pissed off. If they go a whole half and end up regularly getting the ball into Bruest and Gunston's hands as a result of repeat tactics, then there wont be a gettable margin at half time like the Dockers gifted us.

Loved the presser and the response of what can you do in the final minutes. "Barrack" Footy has been complicated by too many and become focused on de-fence structures and spin. Here is a bloke turning back the clock with simplicity and honesty and many many people are engaging and in all honesty it has cost Sanderson his job.

Loved the presser and the response of what can you do in the final minutes. "Barrack" Footy has been complicated by too many and become focused on de-fence structures and spin. Here is a bloke turning back the clock with simplicity and honesty and many many people are engaging and in all honesty it has cost Sanderson his job.

I laughed too. And Barrack we did.

For all the talk / supporter demands about how we needed a third tall forward to improve us this year etc, he came back in the presser, I think, saying something along the lines of "well we didn't go too bad against a great Hawk team without that third tall - 3 point loss" etc.

Yes we lost, but not because of structural issues. We lost because we didn't execute our skills effectively enough, particularly (this game) when getting our shots at goal.

I'm looking forward to Kenny taking us on one helluva ride.

56.5% of people will agree with this comment in the 23 degree heat after 3 days rest since we traveled from Melbourne after having to play in Perth. My cat eats cat food.

What a gem was Sando...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back