News Yet another Jumper thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It looks fantastic, but it would be perfect without the inclusion of that unnecessary yellow strip. I mean, what's the point? Just make a recreation of the original roy's jumper for goodness sake - nothing can beat it. The same thing happened with the Hall of Fame Jumper - they did not need to include the funnel yoke (as nice as it was) because the original never had it.

As Roylion pointed out, it looks like the proposed Fitzroy-Footscray merger jumper. While it's a cool piece of history, it's one I'd rather not think about. It sort of feels like your girlfriend wearing her Ex's clothes still.

Last edited:

Bought one tonight (MY first new jumper since 2006). I like the yellow strip as it adds a little extra colour to the back and front.

Footscray merger jumper had two thick strips , so I can see the reminder part, but really nothing like it.

I showed my wife my jumper purchase this morning and was shocked as she thought when I said I wanted to buy my first jumper in 10 years I would buy a maroon one. I saod but we don't really wear maroon in Melbourne anymore. I love the fact we have the Fitzroy red in Melbourne and Bears Maroon in Queensaland, but it got me thinking:

When was the last time we used our home jumper in Melbourne?

Even our last final at the G in 2009 we had the red jumper against the bulldogs.

It would have been 2007 when we last wore our maroon home jumper in Melbourne. 2008 was when the red jumper was brought in, I believe after the success of the Fitzroy heritage jumpers worn in 2007 (I think 2007 might have been a year we wore the FFC jumper twice, once in Perth where we had a famous victory and once at the MCG against the Hawks I think).

At the time there was actually a push for the Fitzroy heritage jumper (see below) to be worn as our Victorian jumper.

http://www.footyjumpers.com/
Brisbane-Heritage-2007.gif

Yeah I think your right, hard to believe we have had the red jumper on proper rotation for 8 years now.

Unrelated but I would have thought with the return to the traditional jumper this year and the reduction of royal blue we could have worn it last night instead of white.

Yeah I think your right, hard to believe we have had the red jumper on proper rotation for 8 years now.

Unrelated but I would have thought with the return to the traditional jumper this year and the reduction of royal blue we could have worn it last night instead of white.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw us running out with the white clash jumpers on. Our home jumpers with white shorts would have been different enough vs. the Bulldogs.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw us running out with the white clash jumpers on. Our home jumpers with white shorts would have been different enough vs. the Bulldogs.

We should only wear white against the interstate clubs, (Maybe red against the eagles.

I don't see any issue with red being used 100% in Victoria, and then even our maroon jumper against North and Geelong as it with Maroon shorts would be more distinctive.

Would love to see the threepeat jumper always worn v the scum to remind them of '02 and '03 and obviously any Grand Final or finals game in Melbourne (where we don't clash with the opponent) at the very least.

For other Vic games my personal preference is our home jumper to be worn when there is clearly no clash (e.g. v scum, Geelong, Norf) and our red jumper to be worn when there is a clash (e.g. Carlton, Richmond, Essendon) or even to improve the contrast (e.g. Hawks, Bulldogs). Having said that whether the threepeat or Roys inspired jumper is the first choice jumper in Vic for H & A games and not v the scum when their is no clash should be up to our Vic members

Just to clarify - the AFL advises the Club each week whether the clash strip is to be used or not.

In the case of the Lions, we are deemed to have a clash against Gold Coast, Adelaide, GWS, and the Western Bulldogs - so must wear our white strip when we play these teams away from home. Meanwhile, the Suns, Crows, Giants, and Dogs must wear white when they play us at the Gabba.

Interesting that they don't include Melbourne on that list considering they're predominantly red and blue, but we're not going to bring that to their attention!

Just to clarify - the AFL advises the Club each week whether the clash strip is to be used or not.

In the case of the Lions, we are deemed to have a clash against Gold Coast, Adelaide, GWS, and the Western Bulldogs - so must wear our white strip when we play these teams away from home. Meanwhile, the Suns, Crows, Giants, and Dogs must wear white when they play us at the Gabba.

Interesting that they don't include Melbourne on that list considering they're predominantly red and blue, but we're not going to bring that to their attention!

If you can't tell the difference between a giants and lions guernsey then you've got issues. I mean just imagine how it was back in the day before television brought colour into the world. Back when everything was in black and white and grey. Imagine the issues players and spectators had back then! I'm sure one of our older members could tell us all about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you can't tell the difference between a giants and lions guernsey then you've got issues. I mean just imagine how it was back in the day before television brought colour into the world. Back when everything was in black and white and grey. Imagine the issues players and spectators had back then! I'm sure one of our older members could tell us all about it.

It wasn't until LSD became readily available could we see in colour.

Any chance we can rookie Kevin Murray?

It's possible. Only if we can borrow the canvas back brace from the National Sports Museum, and a bottle of methylated spirits to pour in his boots so he can't feel his ankles again. (true stories - they don't build 'em like they used to these footballers....)

Can't believe the AFL deem we clash with GWS, but not Carlton, Melbourne, Richmond, Essendon or Freo.

Also IMO the red Fitzroy inspired jumper contrasts well enough v Bulldogs, Carlton, Melbourne, Richmond, Essendon and Freo instead of wearing white.

The AFL do have some strange call on clash jumpers and understand that they call the white instead of the club. Is the AFL's call though based on last years jumper which was more royal blue than red? and needs to be updated?

The AFL do have some strange call on clash jumpers and understand that they call the white instead of the club. Is the AFL's call though based on last years jumper which was more royal blue than red? and needs to be updated?
I'm guessing that would be it.

I can see how 2014 Lions jumper is a clash with GWS, but 2015 Lions jumper is definitely not a clash

Remove this Banner Ad

Back