Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I think draft picks should generally favour teams lower on the ladder, but the obvious or percieved tanking is not good. King suggested using the ladder at half way point but some confident clubs might tank a bit early and then pile on the afterburners to still win a flag.

So you cant know when the ladder is taken for the draft order, but it still has to be based on the ladder.

One option might be for the lottery at seasons end to be numbered balls representing rounds say 8 to 22. (or similar)

Once the ball is taken out, the ladder at that round is the ladder used for the draft order purposes

Yeah dunno.

Since, quite often teams down there are going to be pretty tightly bunched, you're going to get times when a side has been worst for most of the year, but one win has briefly bumped them up a spot or even two.

I would be definitely in favour of allotting picks as the teams mathematically drop out of finals contention, rather than ladder pos'n at any one point.
In 99% of cases, there would be not much difference to just doing it on 1st half of the season - but slightly less arbitrary I feel.

Either way, would not like to see PPs back, ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back