Yo' Sheeds No mo' floods in da Big House.

Remove this Banner Ad

RICE80SF

Senior List
Jun 14, 2000
Geelong, VIC. (Is Don Is Grand)
Sheeds, please disspence with the damn flooding on the MCG, take your own advice from last year when the Bullies beat us.

Remember you said this, "they wouldn't want to do that on the MCG". Seemed a valid point to me, the flood works great on the smaller venues Colonial, SCG, Optarse. On the MCG, as the Magpies showed, there are too many holes to exploit.

If it weren't for Jim (you da man), Barny (playing super footy at the moment), and big Aless doing a very good Primus impersonation, we would have been toast.

No offence to the Carringbush (they certainly are coming) but I don't think many would put them forward as the most skillfull side in the comp, do the flood to the Tigers (I digress but how good was Tivendale last week brilliant) display or Hawks (who creamed the flood at Colonial last year) and we WILL lose IMHO.

Sure zone the backline but not to the extent the Bullies did to us at Colonial, it doesn't work on the 'G.

Hoping this is a waste of time and Sheeds knows now it was a mistake. Not only does the flood get penetrated but I think it breaks down our quick exit from defence. Hardly ever got our running game going on ANZAC day, not the Dons play we know and love.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers

The high degree of flooding was partly bought about by the slowness of deliverery by Collingwood into their foward line. Most of the time when they got a mark they stood there and looked for short options. It's natural in that case that more players get back behind the ball. Especially if their defender runs down into the fifty to drag them out of position.

Despite this point I think we still over did the flood in the Anzac Day Game and also in the last quarter against the swans. Its still best to leave at least one player in your own fifty!

Ricey ...I agree with every thing you said.
Flooding and kicking out when there is no forward option was a constant cause of spectator irritation at the SCG last year [for this spectator anyway...after watching the Dons on TV...but I live in Sydney so we only have the Swans (sigh) if you want it live).
I hope everyone gives it up...if I wanted rugby I'd watch that.
But I love the big kicks...bombing in from 50 and beyond that has been happening lately.

------------------
** you've gotta believe **

Remove this Banner Ad

Back