Yorkshire County Cricket Club Scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
Gary Ballance the former test cricketer has come out and admitted he used the 'P ***" slur towards Azeem Rafiq. To him it was 'banter' but more like it was 'casual racism' being accepted in the organisation. Sponsors have already closed links with the county cricket club: Emerald, Nike, Tetley's, Harrogate Spring Water and Yorkshire Tea.

As I write this the chairman of the county, Roger Hutton, has resigned. The ramifications are being felt, with Headingley unlikely to get test matches in the near future. Leeds was scheduled to host an Ashes test in 2023, as well as an international test match in 2022 along with an ODI in 2022.

Michael Vaughan has come out and said he wasn't racist in any of his comments, coming from a 100 page enquiry..

Think there will be more that comes out over the next few months.....

Zimbabwean, surprise surprise.
Rana Naved the former Pakistan player has accused Michael Vaughan of saying something along the lines of:

Rana, who was the club's overseas player at the time, was alongside Azeem Rafiq at Trent Bridge in 2009 when Vaughan is alleged to have said: "There's too many of you lot, we need to do something about it." (In reference to 3 players of Asian descent on the field at the same time: Rana, Adil Rashid, Azeem and Ajmal Shahzad)

I honestly don't think Ballance is anywhere near the worst person involved in this.

The board holding back the review/inquiry from Rafiq and the ECB clearly have rocks for brains and will be all out of a job in the next week or so. I think they deserve a lot more hate for trying to cover this up than Ballance throwing around words he shouldn't.

So the Pakistani gets all upset about getting called a Paki yet calls someone a Zimbo. You can’t have your cake and eat it too
Calling a Pakistani person a “p***” is much more offensive than calling an Australian an “Aussie” or a NZer a “Kiwi”

Calling a Pakistani person a “p***” is much more offensive than calling an Australian an “Aussie” or a NZer a “Kiwi”
End of the day they are both terms given to migrants to denote the fact that they aren’t English and don’t belong. While I don’t condone Balance’s actions it’s very much pot kettle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

End of the day they are both terms given to migrants to denote the fact that they aren’t English and don’t belong. While I don’t condone Balance’s actions it’s very much pot kettle
an unblemished 20-year career in cricket lies in ruins tonight. Two Asian cricketers say he referred to them as "you lot". He denies it. Who do you believe? And if he did say it should his life be ruined by one phrase. I don't think so.

I would like to think Michael Vaughan is better than that and believe he is, if he had said what is alleged then why now and not then? If it’s wrong it’s wrong no matter when it was said or done now or how ever many years ago.

FYI more quotes from Vaughan:

1636150760491.png

I doubt too many Zimabwean expats have been called Zimbo scum before copping a hiding. I used to happily call the Pakistani team the P***s before I lived in England, it was Aussie slang with no ill will, having lived over there and seeing how the word is used there's no way I'd do that now. There's just no comparison between the two.

I doubt to many Zimabwean expats have been called Zimbo scum before copping a hiding. I used to happily call the Pakistani team the P***s before I lived in England, it was Aussie slang with no ill will, having lived over there and seeing how the word is used there's no way I'd do that now. There's just no comparison between the two.
End of the day you are using a word to denote someone doesn’t belong on the basis of their nationality. If you find it offensive when it’s done to you do not do it to others. It is very basic stuff that.

End of the day you are using a word to denote someone doesn’t belong on the basis of their nationality. If you find it offensive when it’s done to you do not do it to others. It is very basic stuff that.
There's no equivalence between the two words, you're objectively wrong I'm afraid.

There's no equivalence between the two words, you're objectively wrong I'm afraid.
Hahahahaha * me, he furthers a behaviour that he doesn’t like while normalising it in the process. I am in no way pro Balance calling him a Paki. But at the same time he needs to look at the way he speaks to others

Australian English loves the diminutive (Arvo, Mornos, Ambo, Breaky etc etc). It's hard for us to see it in the same context here.

We've used Paki in Australian English just like we use Kiwi or Aussie or Yank or similar. With no racial inference or slur intended at all, just because we're lazy bastards with English.

That said, in the British context, it's clearly an offensive term.

Australian English loves the diminutive (Arvo, Mornos, Ambo, Breaky etc etc). It's hard for us to see it in the same context here.

We've used Paki in Australian English just like we use Kiwi or Aussie or Yank or similar. With no racial inference or slur intended at all, just because we're lazy bastards with English.

That said, in the British context, it's clearly an offensive term.
I think context is very important. I don't know the relative demographics of Pakistani population in UK compared to Australia................

As someone who has lived over there - the term is definitely derogatory - as it relates to all asian (or what we call subcontinental) people

But absolutely not offensive over here where it is a genuine shortening of the countries name and very few would even have a clue that it was offensive overseas.

I still use the term Paki in Australia, but never in UK. Different country, different meaning.

I doubt too many Zimabwean expats have been called Zimbo scum before copping a hiding. I used to happily call the Pakistani team the P***s before I lived in England, it was Aussie slang with no ill will, having lived over there and seeing how the word is used there's no way I'd do that now. There's just no comparison between the two.

Yes, it's an interesting one. Having never lived in the UK, I have always used the term "P***s" as a term of endearment when talking about Pakistani cricketers. I never even considered any racial connotation to the term. I had a girlfriend who was a doctor from Pakistan, she'd lived in NZ for 5 years before coming to live in Australia. Whenever Pakistan and Australia locked horns in battle, we enjoyed a lot of friendly banter, and I'm certain I must have referred to them as "P***s" on many occasions. She never seemed to mind, maybe because she knew there was no racial intent in what I was saying. I think I used the term on this forum a couple of years ago and someone got all uppity about it, and I genuinely had no idea what their problem was. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back