Yorkshire County Cricket Club Scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

He's neither a 'sook' or a 'hero'. He's a human being. It's not that far removed from people using George Floyd's criminal record as some sort of 'context' for his murder. Two wrongs don't make a right, it's something we learn very early on.
But morally he is on thin ice, if you dish it out you have to take it end of story

If Rafiq has been racist in his own way, he will get his. But this is how it always ******* works. Despite Yorkshire itself admitting it was guilty of a racist culture, people are trying to deflect and protect the institution by attacking the one making the allegations. It's not unheard of for people to be racist against one group while being the victim of racism themselves. It sucks. Bit it doesn't change the allegations.

One of the Guardian journalists on twitter has said that Rafiq's comments further add to the weight of evidence that Yorkshire CCC is a hotbed of racism.

People will just use anything to strengthen the case for their own views.

Anyway Alex Hales has just been outed for going blackface to a NYE party in 2009...he went as Tupac!

Sent from my SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

One of the Guardian journalists on twitter has said that Rafiq's comments further add to the weight of evidence that Yorkshire CCC is a hotbed of racism.

People will just use anything to strengthen the case for their own views.

Anyway Alex Hales has just been outed for going blackface to a NYE party in 2009...he went as Tupac!

Didn't Sam Newman do a similar thing on the Footy show all those years back and he got smashed from pillar to post on media back then.

Just feel like if Hales had any vision of gettting back into the international set up- its been stretched further back.

If Rafiq has been racist in his own way, he will get his. But this is how it always ******* works. Despite Yorkshire itself admitting it was guilty of a racist culture, people are trying to deflect and protect the institution by attacking the one making the allegations. It's not unheard of for people to be racist against one group while being the victim of racism themselves. It sucks. Bit it doesn't change the allegations.
Don‘t deflect from the issue - Yorkshire and English Cricket have to deal with the issue in an open and transparent way. There will be casualties along the way, but hopefully the future is brighter for all.

FWIW I encountered this against a young teammate in Sydney many years ago between a cape coloured lad and a Afrikaaner. The way the latter treated the former was disgraceful and eventually we went to the club and moved the latter on. He was a good player, his family had money and were sponsoring the club but it was full on racism. Later the young lad rose to be 1st Grade Captain of one of the more famous Clubs in Sydney, I was very proud of the role that I played. The other grub is noe one of the leading mortgage brokers in London, but he’s still a s**t bloke I reckon.

Just another challenge for my former Kew CC teammate Tom Harrison, the current ECB CEO…

Are you suggesting continued examples of racism don't show a problem at Yorkshire CC?
Ha well, I just think it's a disingenuous idea that somebody protesting against systemic racism at an organisation has his claim strengthened by examples of his own personal racism coming to light.

It’s a valid point though, accents don’t work well on phones
Context is so important. Stuff as a sportsman that you said 3-5 years ago especially on social media, could come back to bite you. Vaughan admits some of the stuff he said in the past he regrets and he is of the view through education, we all learn to get better from it.

I enjoy his commentary in cricket and wish him all the best in his role at BBC etc.

It’s a valid point though, accents don’t work well on phones
Poorly phrased but not racist in and of itself. Many people struggle with foreign accents, if roles were reversed and Indian people were calling and getting Aussies speaking our ocker strine rapidly, they'd struggle as well.

I see this as more of a problem with Twitter. Why exactly did Michael Vaughn think the rest of the nation needed to hear this little pearl of wisdom :tearsofjoy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poorly phrased but not racist in and of itself. Many people struggle with foreign accents, if roles were reversed and Indian people were calling and getting Aussies speaking our ocker strine rapidly, they'd struggle as well.

I see this as more of a problem with Twitter. Why exactly did Michael Vaughn think the rest of the nation needed to hear this little pearl of wisdom :tearsofjoy:
Mark Butcher put it best when he described Vaughan as Piers Morgan-lite.

Quote from this interview, "Back in the day, Things said back then wouldn't be considered offensive but would be now...............everything is moving so quickly (with time). Clearly we are in different times now. When you talk twelve or fifteen years, time is moving so fast". Vaughan speaks well and I find his comments at times witty and light-hearted a way. I guess in commentary you want a balance and to find the right line in the sand. It would be too boring if commentary were serious and robotic.

I struggle with accents massively. People in the family that I have known for 30 odd years I still struggle with on the phone

Don’t think it’s that easy given he’s played for England
You've got to wait 3 years from playing your last match for a full member nation before switching to another. Ballance last played for England in July 2017 so his previous England matches won't be a problem as that 3 year period has already passed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back