Yorkshire County Cricket Club Scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

To me Gale and Bresnan seem to be the 2 he's most unhappy with.

boggles the mind they have reports about Gale being a bully and then promote him straight from captain to coach.

Bresnan just sounds like a prick.

funny how the guys like Balance never said much when Gillepse was coach but then suddenly were back into it when he left. So they obviously knew what they were doing was wrong.

It seems the ball swings both ways!!

You can never excuse racism however it could easily be interpreted that Azeem had an axe to grind especially given his once promising England career didn't probably turn out the way he likely envisaged

One of England's best young cricketers has been banned from all matches for a month, after calling the national under-19 coach a "w***er" on Twitter.

Azeem Rafiq was banned and fined £500 for his tirade about the England Under-19 coach, John Abrahams. The Yorkshire al-lrounder's obscene outburst came last week, after he was dropped from the under-19 team to face Sri Lanka, when it is thought his habit of staying out after agreed curfews during matches became an issue.

Rafiq, under-19 captain before he was first disciplined, pleaded guilty to two charges considered by an ECB cricket discipline commission panel.

The England and Wales Cricket Board ruled at a hearing that the teenager was guilty of a serious breach of regulations – "breach of directives by personal attack in a public statement about England U19 team manager John Abrahams and also bringing the game into disrepute by that public statement".

Rafiq will be unable to play for his county, country or club until one month after the date of his offence, 26 July. His angry attack on Abrahams also landed him a suspension from Yorkshire pending the ECB inquiry.

On his Twitter feed Rafiq wrote: "What a ******* farsee [sic]. ECB prove it again what incompetent people are working for them." Next day, he tweeted again: "John Abrahams is a useless w***er." Rafiq took the comments down once he realised they were publicly available.

Last edited:
There is a vast difference between calling someone a w***er and the abuse that is alleged to have been directed at Rafiq. This isn’t some gotcha moment. But this is how it always goes, try to discredit the accuser, conflate minor issues with major ones. The idea that he would describe specific allegations against individuals that can either be substantiated or disproven over an ill-defined axe to grind is absurd. Even Yorkshire has admitted it happened. So when will people stop trying to make excuses for racism and why are trying in the first place?

There is a vast difference between calling someone a w***er and the abuse that is alleged to have been directed at Rafiq. This isn’t some gotcha moment. But this is how it always goes, try to discredit the accuser, conflate minor issues with major ones. The idea that he would describe specific allegations against individuals that can either be substantiated or disproven over an ill-defined axe to grind is absurd. Even Yorkshire has admitted it happened. So when will people stop trying to make excuses for racism and why are trying in the first place?

I said in my post you can never excuse racism .... pretty clear I would have thought .... what he likely endured was awful and should never ever happen

That said you might not be offended if someone called you a "useless w***er" but I know others that would especially when it's broadcast to the world via social media.

Azeem's no angel boy - fact is he lost the England U19 captaincy and his spot in the team due to "abusive" comments ..... just stating known facts that's all

I think it would be a country v city thing as well as public v private.

People coming from the city from public schools would be very very small these days I would say. Anyone with serious talent through public schools gets sucked into the private school system via sports scholarships as per footy.
It’s also the connections that the schools have to keep the players under recruiters eyes. If you are at a private school they invest in your development for 6 years as opposed to two years of TAC

I said in my post you can never excuse racism .... pretty clear I would have thought .... what he likely endured was awful and should never ever happen

That said you might not be offended if someone called you a "useless w***er" but I know others that would especially when it's broadcast to the world via social media.

Azeem's no angel boy - fact is he lost the England U19 captaincy and his spot in the team due to "abusive" comments ..... just stating known facts that's all
I do agree in the readings that he may have had a bit of a temper.

Lloyd just showed a bit of the causal, eddie mcguire type racism. The guys from yorkshire were racist bullies.
Lloyd was probably faced with the option of not apologising and Sky wouldn't want to know him, or apologise and he might still have a job. If he really felt he had done anything worth apologising for wouldn't he have done before yesterday?

Anyone remember when Moeen was called "Osama" by an Australian player during his Ashes debut? Was investigated by the CA, but nothing really became of that and Moeen opted to conclude the issue.

Moeen made the allegation in his autobiography, which was being serialised in The Times newspaper, saying the apparent reference to Islamist militant Osama bin Laden came during his Ashes debut in Cardiff.

"An Australian player...turned to me on the field and said, 'Take that, Osama'," he recalled. "I could not believe what I had heard. I remember going really red. I have never been so angry on a cricket field.

"I told a couple of the guys what the player had said to me and I think [England coach] Trevor Bayliss must have raised it with Darren Lehmann, then Australia coach.

Lehmann asked the player, 'Did you call Moeen 'Osama'?". He denied it, saying, "No, I said: 'Take that, you part-timer'.

"Obviously I had to take the player's word for it, though for the rest of the match I was angry."

The player should have been named and shamed like Harbhajan who was rightly shamed for the monkeygate scandal. Of course Harbhajan gave a pathetic excuse and eventually got away with the clout of the BCCI but at least he was named and shamed after the controversy became a huge issue. Nothing of that sort really ensued after Moeen's allegation and the probe was closed without any concrete action.

But it’s all irrelevant to the accusations at hand. And bringing it up is the kind of character assassination designed to make the next person stay quiet. It’s so often the reaction to uncomfortable allegations and it needs to stop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone remember when Moeen was called "Osama" by an Australian player during his Ashes debut? Was investigated by the CA, but nothing really became of that and Moeen opted to conclude the issue.

The player should have been named and shamed like Harbhajan who was rightly shamed for the monkeygate scandal. Of course Harbhajan gave a pathetic excuse and eventually got away with the clout of the BCCI but at least he was named and shamed after the controversy became a huge issue. Nothing of that sort really ensued after Moeen's allegation and the probe was closed without any concrete action.
can't be hard to find the player

who smacked Moen around on his debut

Warner
Clarke
?

Last edited:
can't be hard to find the player

who smacked Moen around on his debut

Warner
Clarke
?

Warner might look the simple type but personally don't think he's racist at all.

Didn't he once punch Root in the face after he thought Root was impersonating and making fun of Amla with a beard in the bar once?

But it’s all irrelevant to the accusations at hand. And bringing it up is the kind of character assassination designed to make the next person stay quiet. It’s so often the reaction to uncomfortable allegations and it needs to stop.

You make it sound like Azeem should be ashamed of his past abusive indiscretion?

Seriously I don't think he cares nor should you

But hey I brought it up because it was interesting fact that he once was banned for verbal abuse and now he is now the victim of verbal abuse ..... hardly character assassination when its public domain knowledge.

BTW for the record I am Azeem's side re: this particular racism issue .... and yours as well I guess

Warner might look the simple type but personally don't think he's racist at all.

Didn't he once punch Root in the face after he thought Root was impersonating and making fun of Amla with a beard in the bar once?
Rogers
Voges
Watson
Clarke
Smith
Warner
Out of those Warner or Clarke is my pick

the guys who came from humble beginnings like Warner and Clarke. Very unlikely to be racist tbh.

in the light of the allegations maybe Warner was within his rights snotting root that night.

You make it sound like Azeem should be ashamed of his past abusive indiscretion?

Seriously I don't think he cares nor should you

But hey I brought it up because it was interesting fact that he once was banned for verbal abuse and now he is now the victim of verbal abuse ..... hardly character assassination when its public domain knowledge.

BTW for the record I am Azeem's side re: this particular racism issue .... and yours as well I guess
I don’t think it’s particularly interesting because it’s completely unrelated to the topic at hand. But if you’re looking for context, maybe the reason the 19-year-old was quick to anger was because he had been racially abused since he was 15. I saw far too much of it growing up, Aboriginal kids taunted until they lash out, then they get in trouble. With a nice little bit of condescension on top, such as ‘well, you know what they are like’.

Rafiq calling someone a w***er once isn’t relevant. It’s a distraction at best, and a minimising of the abuse he revived at worst.

It's very dumb to equate the w@nker insult to racist insults, you don't understand racism as a concept if you think both are the same.

Loads of players have cussed at other players on the field, they hardly become news but only the racist jibes become and it's for a reason.

I don't doubt that a lot of what Azeem said is true, but I also question if there isn't a bit of resentment around a career that ended prematurely.

I'll admit I haven't read the whole thing, but the idea that his career was ended due to Racism (a quote I've seen doing the rounds) is going a bit too far in the other direction for me.

I think a big problem is sportsman like this who get halfway there but then drop off essentially being hung out to dry, reminds of here in Australia where players who lose their place find out about it from the Media, it's a pretty horrible way to treat human beings.

Not excusing any of the people involved but I think comments from 2009 etc. really are not that relevant if the behaviour hasn't continued since.
Heritier Lumumba, the post.

I don’t think it’s particularly interesting because it’s completely unrelated to the topic at hand. But if you’re looking for context, maybe the reason the 19-year-old was quick to anger was because he had been racially abused since he was 15. I saw far too much of it growing up, Aboriginal kids taunted until they lash out, then they get in trouble. With a nice little bit of condescension on top, such as ‘well, you know what they are like’.

Rafiq calling someone a w***er once isn’t relevant. It’s a distraction at best, and a minimising of the abuse he revived at worst.

OK you don't think it's interesting fair enough ..... others might ..... I did .... and you are interested enough to want to discuss it ..... the fact as Captain of England U19 team (not a minor designation) he was caught breaking team rules and he didn't like being reprimanded for it ..... maybe the context is that he had a ego issue? ...... who knows?

He lost the England U19 captaincy over it and his team position and did it on social media for the world to see (pretty horrible for the person it was directed at) ..... I'd say the fallout was pretty relevant to Azeem ..... but hey to his credit he put his head down and was made captain of the Yorkshire T20 side a few years later :thumbsu:

BTW I am on your side ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back