You’re AFL President for 10 years, what direction do you take the league into?

Remove this Banner Ad

For me,

Decision number 1 - reduce the amount of victorian teams and increased the amount of interstate teams in the AFL competition. My focus would be ultimately make this a truly national competition and completely cut through the VFL ties on the competition.

- Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon, Carlton remain untouched.

- Retain Melbourne Demons, first ever club in aussie rules, maintain them for the history of the first ever club...nah kidding, cull them, this is my league and I get to make this decision.

They’re economical viable, through success and failure and that’s important here. They’re the backbone to the competition and their supporter bases are very large which will support the league throughout this change.

-Western Bulldogs, relocate them to W.A, where they can keep their name because well...They’re in the west of Australia, I would hire a team to find the proper area in W.A to relocate them. WA is strong enough for three teams. Instantly benefits Fremantle and West Coast, who will both play less Victorian games and a few more WA games.

- Relegate St. Kilda to a VFL team, their lack of success for the past 120 years is more than enough of a reason. (We’re down to 17 teams now)

- Northern Territory Kangaroos (red kangaroo as their mascot) to be christened as the first team from N.T where they can play games in Darwin, Alice Springs, Etc. Now we’re getting truly national. This is the relocation of North Melbourne.

- Coaster Cats (with a cat on a surf board as it’s mascot) will be Geelongs relocation and the end of Gold Coast Suns. Coaster Cats or ‘cats of the coast’ will done the wonderful Geelong colours and carry Geelongs history. Which works well for Gary Ablett too. They’ll represent a wider margin of the coast which includes The Sunshine Coast and Cairns, they can play home games along those major parts of the coast and give more people the opportunity to attend games. We’ve eliminated Gold Coast so we’re down to 16 teams now) Go Coasters

-Relocate Hawthorn to Tasmania, calling them Tasmanian Hawks, keeping the colours and the history.

- Include a third and fourth SANFL team in the AFL, to provide a passionate South Australia a great third team. Would allow all current clubs to vote on either Sturt, Norwood, South Adelaide, North Adelaide and West Adelaide

- Include another WAFL club - Subiaco based on history and success.

- Brisbane to rebrand to the Bears, Fitzroy Lions revived in a new and improved VFL competition, which will now include Melbourne Demons, Hawthorn Hawks, North Melbourne Kangaroos, Geelong Cats, St. Kilda Saints and Footscray Bulldogs, University to return too.

Overall -
VICTORIA
Collingwood Magpies
Carlton Blues
Richmond Tigers
Essendon Bombers

TASMANIA
Tasmania Hawks

SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Adelaide Crows
Port Adelaide Power
Norwood Football Club
South Adelaide Panthers (?)

WESTERN AUSTRALIA
West Coast Eagles
Western Bulldogs
Fremantle Dockers
Subiaco Lions

QUEENSLAND
Brisbane Bears
Coaster Cats

NORTHERN TERRITORY
Northern Territory Kangaroos

NEW SOUTH WALES
Greater Western Sydney Giants
Sydney Swans

2. Bring back state of origin.

3. Bring back Champions of Australia tournament to include top teams of all state leagues to go against the top teams of the national league.

4. Fund grassroots and state leagues to make them produce great talent, have state games as curtain raisers to AFL games to give fans more value and players more opportunity to be seen by a wider audience.

5. review fixture, every team to play each other once, teams from same state to play each other twice for 22 games per year, won’t be perfectly fair, but wayyyyyyyy better than current system.

6. work with state governments to increase capacity to adelaide oval and Perth stadium, grand finals to be played in the state of the finalist that wins the right to a home advantage, won’t work for tassie, and Northern Territory because of small stadiums

7. Give myself a pay rise for creating an equal competition.

8. Rewrite history to make VFL premierships stand as VFL premierships and AFL premierships to remain as AFL premierships, for example, Collingwood will only have two AFL premierships 1990 and 2010, whilst they’ll have 13 VFL premierships.

9. Support former AFL sides in their relegated leagues financially.

10. Rebuild Victoria Park and increase capacity to be Collingwoods home ground, same with Optus Oval for Carlton, Richmond to stay at the MCG, and build a brand new stadium in Tulla for the bombers. Work together with clubs, state and government to fund these, provide facilities for the community to use.

11. ban clubs from investing in gaming.
And I retire, boom,
Agree with most but not the bulldogs to WA, send then to ACT, I'd promote Subiaco to have 3 WA sides and the same for SA.
Also an important one is give the power re player NOT out of contract back to the club's.

My philosophies wouldn’t be that much different if I was elected pm.

January: give myself a pay rise.
February: when criticism arrives bury my head in the sand and give myself another pay rise.
March: bribe local authorities in enforcing what I want. Yep better have another pay rise.
April: take kick backs and perks from leading business people. (The shame, dammit I know what will make me feel better, another pay rise)
May: Threaten, bribe, manipulate, black mail, extort journalists. to cover costs. Another pay rise will ease costs
June: talk to the bean counters and fudge the books. worthy of another pay rise
July: eliminate those that oppose me (AFLPA) pay increase for me.
August: Take time off for stress. Pay rise decreases stress.
September: start taking bribes from clubs re finals appearance. The club that wins the premiership, endorses a pay rise for me.
October: start taking bribes from players so the can switch clubs. The players agree to my new pay increase.
November: Hanging out with the draftees at schoolies. Gets arrested for being a toolie. Pay rise covers up the incident.
December so called fact finding mission to various parts of the world with the family. Pay rise to cover the cost of the family.

Thats just year 1. Now times it by 10

Give Richmond 23 home games at punt rd.
* the rest.

League saved.

For me,

Decision number 1 - reduce the amount of victorian teams and increased the amount of interstate teams in the AFL competition. My focus would be ultimately make this a truly national competition and completely cut through the VFL ties on the competition.

- Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon, Carlton remain untouched.

- Retain Melbourne Demons, first ever club in aussie rules, maintain them for the history of the first ever club...nah kidding, cull them, this is my league and I get to make this decision.

They’re economical viable, through success and failure and that’s important here. They’re the backbone to the competition and their supporter bases are very large which will support the league throughout this change.

-Western Bulldogs, relocate them to W.A, where they can keep their name because well...They’re in the west of Australia, I would hire a team to find the proper area in W.A to relocate them. WA is strong enough for three teams. Instantly benefits Fremantle and West Coast, who will both play less Victorian games and a few more WA games.

- Relegate St. Kilda to a VFL team, their lack of success for the past 120 years is more than enough of a reason. (We’re down to 17 teams now)

- Northern Territory Kangaroos (red kangaroo as their mascot) to be christened as the first team from N.T where they can play games in Darwin, Alice Springs, Etc. Now we’re getting truly national. This is the relocation of North Melbourne.

- Coaster Cats (with a cat on a surf board as it’s mascot) will be Geelongs relocation and the end of Gold Coast Suns. Coaster Cats or ‘cats of the coast’ will done the wonderful Geelong colours and carry Geelongs history. Which works well for Gary Ablett too. They’ll represent a wider margin of the coast which includes The Sunshine Coast and Cairns, they can play home games along those major parts of the coast and give more people the opportunity to attend games. We’ve eliminated Gold Coast so we’re down to 16 teams now) Go Coasters

-Relocate Hawthorn to Tasmania, calling them Tasmanian Hawks, keeping the colours and the history.

- Include a third and fourth SANFL team in the AFL, to provide a passionate South Australia a great third team. Would allow all current clubs to vote on either Sturt, Norwood, South Adelaide, North Adelaide and West Adelaide

- Include another WAFL club - Subiaco based on history and success.

- Brisbane to rebrand to the Bears, Fitzroy Lions revived in a new and improved VFL competition, which will now include Melbourne Demons, Hawthorn Hawks, North Melbourne Kangaroos, Geelong Cats, St. Kilda Saints and Footscray Bulldogs, University to return too.

Overall -
VICTORIA
Collingwood Magpies
Carlton Blues
Richmond Tigers
Essendon Bombers

TASMANIA
Tasmania Hawks

SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Adelaide Crows
Port Adelaide Power
Norwood Football Club
South Adelaide Panthers (?)

WESTERN AUSTRALIA
West Coast Eagles
Western Bulldogs
Fremantle Dockers
Subiaco Lions

QUEENSLAND
Brisbane Bears
Coaster Cats

NORTHERN TERRITORY
Northern Territory Kangaroos

NEW SOUTH WALES
Greater Western Sydney Giants
Sydney Swans

2. Bring back state of origin.

3. Bring back Champions of Australia tournament to include top teams of all state leagues to go against the top teams of the national league.

4. Fund grassroots and state leagues to make them produce great talent, have state games as curtain raisers to AFL games to give fans more value and players more opportunity to be seen by a wider audience.

5. review fixture, every team to play each other once, teams from same state to play each other twice for 22 games per year, won’t be perfectly fair, but wayyyyyyyy better than current system.

6. work with state governments to increase capacity to adelaide oval and Perth stadium, grand finals to be played in the state of the finalist that wins the right to a home advantage, won’t work for tassie, and Northern Territory because of small stadiums

7. Give myself a pay rise for creating an equal competition.

8. Rewrite history to make VFL premierships stand as VFL premierships and AFL premierships to remain as AFL premierships, for example, Collingwood will only have two AFL premierships 1990 and 2010, whilst they’ll have 13 VFL premierships.

9. Support former AFL sides in their relegated leagues financially.

10. Rebuild Victoria Park and increase capacity to be Collingwoods home ground, same with Optus Oval for Carlton, Richmond to stay at the MCG, and build a brand new stadium in Tulla for the bombers. Work together with clubs, state and government to fund these, provide facilities for the community to use.

11. ban clubs from investing in gaming.
And I retire, boom,
Almost every decision you would make would be s**t

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Almost every decision you would make would be s**t

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk
Wait, so you’re telling me you wouldn’t support the Coaster Cats?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Start offering better streaming and subscription packages for AFL games. Get extra club based content to encourage people to join. Maybe give the clubs a share of the $$$ to get them to take more of a interest to generate content. TV is on the decline that means TV rights are on the way down too need alternate revenue sources. By controlling the content they are not so beholden to Channel 7/Foxtel regarding fixturing. I would replace Foxtel sub with a $100+ a year sub straight to the AFL/club if I could share my nuffy ideas with Simpson in a live chat chat once a week or get live steams of training/drills, etc.

2. Increase the size of senior lists, full FA after 5-6 years, replace AFL sourced FA compo with compo from the club the player is being traded too. Don't know why the AFL has to pay for a club to get a player and its also ridiculous that teams struggle to fill their best 22 if they have a bad run of injuries.

3. Let teams sell home games. If a smaller team wants to sell a home game for 1-2 mil a year for 5-6 years to get their financials in order whats the big deal? The fixture is hopelessly compromised as it is why not let smaller clubs actually use it for their own advantage instead of it always to the benefit of big clubs? Same reason I want to lower the min salary cap to 80%. Why do teams have to pay 95% of the cap if their list is crap? Total joke. Gives them no flexibility.

Last edited:
I would bring in more rule changes that make it difficult for the umpires to adjudicate and take away the focus of rules that reward the player with the ball.

Id expand the comp with more teams in Auckland, Christchurch, Beijing, Tokyo, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore. The rivalry rounds between hong kong and beijing and taiwan and beijing will be a real riot to watch.

Cheers, ol' Gil*

*not related to romping wins.

1. Ban all gambling revenue
2. Liquidate the AFLPA
3. Players can't leave their club for 5 years (and if they do become ineligible for future afl drafts).
4. Get rid of the umpires and fit the ground out with better camera technology instead.
5. Get rid of GC and merge North with Melbourne.
6. Get rid of finals bye
7. Expel fans from the stadium for being too loud or unpleasant.
8. Pay players who aren't A grade closer to 150k wages.
9. Charge companies/people double for corporate boxes to help suppliment loss of gambling revenue.
10. Put Steve Hocking in my succession plan to take over for the next decade
11. Scrap the TV rights deal and renegotiate a new deal with ABC or SBS
You really are never going to get over Tim leaving are you?

When's the last time you went to Victoria Park?

The land around it now simply doesn't have the capacity be built up all that much. Putting in more than 10-12 rows of seating on the south side of the ground would end up with the seating going onto the road. There's a reason Collingwood left Victoria Park; it's because it's a small oval in a residential area.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back