You’re AFL President for 10 years, what direction do you take the league into?

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Spend money, negligible extra revenue.
2. Spend money, negligible extra revenue.
3. Spend money, no extra revenue (AFLPA would need to be bought off big time to agree to this).
5. Spend money, negligible extra revenue in the short-medium term.
6. Write off an investment of hundreds of millions before it has a chance to pay off.
7. Spend money, negligible extra revenue.

So...After you drive the AFL broke, what are you going to do then?

nb. This seems to be a common theme of many of the suggestions in this thread....spend more, earn less...
1. Extra game = extra revenue, I would anticipate the Tasmanian team would almost be self sufficient from the get go.
2. AFL already puts funds into VFL and state leagues which they would pull back, additionally could sell sponsorship and TV right to the reserves comp.
3. I agree AFLPA would need a bigger slice to agree, but I think this still needs to be done.
5. Without crucnching numbers but if every AFL famiky paid $300 for a league pass, would be a significant boost to revenue. I would imagine would still have some FTA games for marquee matches and GF so would still keep a significant amount of C7 revenue
6. By playing smaller drawing games at Princes park it would actually save money that is lost playing them at the big stadiums. AFL are already getting the ground up to AFL standard with AFLW so would cost nothing.

The point is that in mature women’s sports there’s no question about whether the sport is worth it or entertaining. It might not be at the same standard as the top men but it is a necessary part of the sport.

How many people watch VFL, WAFL or SANFL?

They're entertaining, roughly evenly matched teams....but the lower quality means they don't anywhere near get the same support. Why would women's comp be any different to that?

Imagine the Olympics decided that athletics would be male only? Or Wimbledon got rid of the women’s singles? It would feel like something huge has been lost and the public outcry would be huge.

That should be the goal for AFLW - a 50 year plan to get to the point where women’s competition sits alongside the men’s, as two sides of the same coin. Hard to do that with. 7-match competition played by amateurs while everyone is on their Christmas holiday - and yet the grand final of that Mickey Mouse competition drew 53,000 people in its third year. The aptitude is certainly there for it from fans... just needs proper time and investment

and how much money did it make?

It's hard to have fully paid professionals playing a full season when there is next to no revenue.

It currently costs millions a year...just how much do you think a "proper investment" would be, and how much time before it started to start making it's own money?

1. Extra game = extra revenue, I would anticipate the Tasmanian team would almost be self sufficient from the get go.
2. AFL already puts funds into VFL and state leagues which they would pull back, additionally could sell sponsorship and TV right to the reserves comp.
3. I agree AFLPA would need a bigger slice to agree, but I think this still needs to be done.
5. Without crucnching numbers but if every AFL famiky paid $300 for a league pass, would be a significant boost to revenue. I would imagine would still have some FTA games for marquee matches and GF so would still keep a significant amount of C7 revenue
6. By playing smaller drawing games at Princes park it would actually save money that is lost playing them at the big stadiums. AFL are already getting the ground up to AFL standard with AFLW so would cost nothing.

1. Even if a Tas team could pay for itself (dubious, but anyway), how much money would *THE AFL* make from that? (and adding 1 team doesn't make for extra games, it makes for a bye).

2. So you're withdrawing support for state league comps and by adding competition, effectively taking away their sponsors and TV access too? Are you deliberately trying to kill the state leagues in this move, or do you just not care? (and if you look at the kind of money those leagues operate on already, it wouldn't be enough to run a national AFL reserves comp anyway, so the AFL would still need to throw in more money).

5. So everyone who wants to watch AFL has to pay $300+? WOW, you really are trying to kill support aren't you.

6. The AFL owns docklands, and makes a fortune out of the MCG deal. Any game that would draw so little as to be worth moving to PP would more easily (and more profitably) be played outside Melbourne.

If they can’t get out of the MCG deal for the next 40 Grand Finals, the league should build a training centre/hotel complex as a base for travelling teams in the Olympic Park area. There’d be several ovals and administrative buildings for use throughout the year that could be branded depending on which team/s are in residence.

This home away from home would feature club shops and host supporter club functions. Injured players would have a place to rehabilitate properly before getting on a plane.

In Grand Final week the team can stay from Monday and prepare as if they’re at home.

How many people watch VFL, WAFL or SANFL?

They're entertaining, roughly evenly matched teams....but the lower quality means they don't anywhere near get the same support. Why would women's comp be any different to that?

and how much money did it make?

It's hard to have fully paid professionals playing a full season when there is next to no revenue.

It currently costs millions a year...just how much do you think a "proper investment" would be, and how much time before it started to start making it's own money?

Average attendances for the AFLW are already higher than the SANFL. Again, not bad for an amateur competition running in the holidays that is only in its 3rd year. Clearly, there is more of a market for the premier women’s comp than there is for second tier men’s comps.This is true in most established sports - the women’s wimbledon final is more prestigious, interesting and financially successful than a second tier men’s circuit final even though the men in that match would probably win 1-1.

how much money did it make? I’m not sure, but that’s an odd question to ask a new enterprise. How much profit did Amazon make in its 3rd year of existence? On the other hand, live sport is already just about the most valuable entertainment product there is, and tv networks are desperate for more. The AFL tv rights as they stand are worth half a billion dollars per year. How much extra is that worth when you start bundling in women’s matches on the same level?

Of course, you have to get it there first. The more professional the women can be, the longer the season, the better the product, the more that’s worth next time around. That’s why the investment matters

1. Even if a Tas team could pay for itself (dubious, but anyway), how much money would *THE AFL* make from that? (and adding 1 team doesn't make for extra games, it makes for a bye).

2. So you're withdrawing support for state league comps and by adding competition, effectively taking away their sponsors and TV access too? Are you deliberately trying to kill the state leagues in this move, or do you just not care? (and if you look at the kind of money those leagues operate on already, it wouldn't be enough to run a national AFL reserves comp anyway, so the AFL would still need to throw in more money).

5. So everyone who wants to watch AFL has to pay $300+? WOW, you really are trying to kill support aren't you.

6. The AFL owns docklands, and makes a fortune out of the MCG deal. Any game that would draw so little as to be worth moving to PP would more easily (and more profitably) be played outside Melbourne.

1 - The Tassie state government will fund the side from the outset, will require minimal financial input from the AFL

2- The VFL has been dead for at least a decade, removing the AFL teams will reduce costs for the stand alone teams who won’t need to compete with the professional afl outfits and might even bring back some of the defunct teams who couldn’t compete. I don’t know too much about the WAFL & SANFL but I think they go pretty well without relying on the AFL teams

5- It works in a lot of sports and we already have it with Foxtel, all the league pass will do is take it away from Foxtel and have the AFL run the streaming provider themselves and take all the revenue. Foxtel is dying and will need to be replaced within about a decade anyway.

6-it still costs a significant amount to put on a game at MCG & Docklands and need to be at 70% capacity to break even, Princes park would serve a purpose for niche games against with drawing crowds.

If they can’t get out of the MCG deal for the next 40 Grand Finals, the league should build a training centre/hotel complex as a base for travelling teams in the Olympic Park area. There’d be several ovals and administrative buildings for use throughout the year that could be branded depending on which team/s are in residence.

This home away from home would feature club shops and host supporter club functions. Injured players would have a place to rehabilitate properly before getting on a plane.

In Grand Final week the team can stay from Monday and prepare as if they’re at home.
There should be male and female masseuse

All masseuse should provide happy endings or gtfo

I order of priority
1 - Tasmanian team
2 - AFL Reserves comp, could have it in conferences like they are doing with AFLW
3 - Give clubs back the power in Trade negotiations and allow trading of contracts without the need for the player to agree like happens in NBA
4 - change rule, no mark from a kick backwards
5 - AFL Take control of tv rights and sell an AFL league pass that streams directly from the AFL website, might take an initial hit with tv rights but will eventually be far more profitable.
6 - If Gold Coast Hasn’t worked, pull the trigger and end it.
7- Play games at Princes Park
If number 7 happened Carlton would have to play themselves because no other team will play at that s**t hole.

If number 7 happened Carlton would have to play themselves because no other team will play at that s**t hole.

when we played at Princes Park it was widely regarded as having the best playing surface in the league, doubt much would have changed. Games involving Gold Coast, GWS, Brisbane, Freo & Port for low drawing vic crowds like North, Dogs, Saints & Blues would make sense to be played at PP. it’s a 10min tram ride from the CBD, quicker than getting to the MCG. The issue used to be parking, but AFL fans are now used to using public transport to get to grounds soit should no longer be an issue.

when we played at Princes Park it was widely regarded as having the best playing surface in the league, doubt much would have changed. Games involving Gold Coast, GWS, Brisbane, Freo & Port for low drawing vic crowds like North, Dogs, Saints & Blues would make sense to be played at PP. it’s a 10min tram ride from the CBD, quicker than getting to the MCG. The issue used to be parking, but AFL fans are now used to using public transport to get to grounds soit should no longer be an issue.
No thanks.

I'm fiscally conservative so my priority would be to make as much money as possible and expand the league as quickly as possible. First off, scrap the AFLW, it's a waste of time. Use that money to subsidise Champion Data and release their stats to the public. This will result in more betting revenue because people will be more informed about which teams are actually good throughout the season. Invest in local footy, particularly the state comps. Have you been to a VFL game? Ripping atmosphere. That kind of investment will stop kids trading in the Sherrin for a round ball and we can get the most talented young athletes in the country playing a real sport. Get rid of the international rookie contracts. This is AUSTRALIAN Football. The more money that is made, the more teams that can be added, so it becomes a true national competition. Investment in grassroots ensures talent isn't spread too thin across a 30 plus team competition. This country will be 75% Asian by the year 2030 so introduce an Asian contract. Asian contracts allow players who are Asian to play by a different set of rules where they're not allowed to be tackled in a game. This will result in Asian superstars who can market the game to Asians, therefore more Asian dollars can come pouring in. Anyone notice the demographics walking around Flinders Street compared to the MCG on a Saturday afternoon? I feel like I'm in a completely different country. More Asian fans who support the minnows like North Melbourne and St Kilda will fill the stands on those dreary Sunday arvo games. I think you will find that the untapped potential for Asian $$$ is staggering.

Last edited:
I'm fiscally conservative so my priority would be to make as much money as possible and expand the league as quickly as possible. First off, scrap the AFLW, it's a waste of time. Use that money to subsidise Champion Data and release their stats to the public. This will result in more betting revenue because people will be more informed about which teams are actually good throughout the season. Invest in local footy, particularly the state comps. Have you been to a VFL game? Ripping atmosphere. That kind of investment will stop kids trading in the Sherrin for a round ball and we can get the most talented young athletes in the country playing a real sport. Get rid of the international rookie contracts. This is AUSTRALIAN Football. The more money that is made, the more teams that can be added, so it becomes a true national competition. Investment in grassroots ensures talent isn't spread too thin across a 30 plus team competition. This country will be 75% Asian by the year 2030 so introduce an Asian contract. Asian contracts allow players who are Asian to play by a different set of rules where they're not allowed to be tackled in a game. This will result in Asian superstars who can market the game to Asians, therefore more Asian dollars can come pouring in. Anyone notice the demographics walking around Flinders Street compared to the MCG on a Saturday afternoon? I feel like I'm in a completely different country. More Asian fans who support the minnows like North Melbourne and St Kilda will fill the stands on those dreary Sunday arvo games. I think you will find that the untapped potential for Asian $$$ is staggering.
75% ASIAN, that is an issue in itself.
Anyway one hurdle is that Asians aren't really into sport, and when they are its usually soccer and table tennis.

Anyway one hurdle is that Asians aren't really into sport, and when they are its usually soccer and table tennis.

What a ridiculous comment, have you seen how much revenue is created by Chinese for NBA, India basically funds the whole ICC revenue, Japanese & Korean domestic football leagues are some of the most successful in the world. Asians like the rest of the world have access to Fox Sports & ESPN and watch plenty of sport..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of years ago I overheard an Asian lady on the bus talking about AFL with the bus driver

1. Tasmania has it's own team.
2. BRING BACK FITZROY.
3. Make interchange to be about injury replacement first and foremost. You want to rest..go to the back pocket/forward pocket.
4. Build an AFL only facility in Melton. The land space is there as is the population growth - and there's not rain belt. Becomes the new home of the Western Bulldogs and probably North Melbourne as well.
5. Upgrade Princes Park and Carlton moves there. New home of Fitzroy too but both clubs get their own gate takings.
6. Bring back State Of Origin.
7. Merge West Coast and Fremantle
8. Merge Adelaide and Port Adelaide
9. Merge Brisbane and Gold Coast
10. Merge Sydney and GWS
11. National Reserves Competition with each club to have lists of 52.
12. Each club has at least 1 recruiting zone and money from clubs and competition goes into football development in those zones.

1. Get rid of Gold Coast and add Tasmanian, NT and Canberra teams. (20 teams total)
2. Make umpires professional
3. Use better technology for goal reviews (it's out there, just not being implemented)
4. Rotate 'blockbuster' matches so it's not the same old teams getting the same big matches every year (ANZAC Day, Easter Monday, etc)
5. 19 round regular season - each team plays each other once. Rotate home and away between each two teams every year.
6. Each team plays at their home ground for half (9 or 10) of their matches, and away from their home ground for the other half.
7. Finals (including Grand Final) played at the ground of the higher ranking team's choosing (but must be at one of the 'main' regular season grounds)
8. Re-invigorate State of Origin post the main season.
9. Get rid of the gimmicky stuff - AFLX, etc
10. Get rid of free agency compensation
11. Get rid of discounts for F/S, academy bids
12. Have a dedicated AFL streaming service
13. Ban gambling advertising/'information' during games (including breaks), both at grounds, on radio and on telecasts.
14. Lifetime ban for druggy players - get rid of the 3 strikes crap.

1. Get rid of Gold Coast and add Tasmanian, NT and Canberra teams. (20 teams total)
2. Make umpires professional
3. Use better technology for goal reviews (it's out there, just not being implemented)
4. Rotate 'blockbuster' matches so it's not the same old teams getting the same big matches every year (ANZAC Day, Easter Monday, etc)
5. 19 round regular season - each team plays each other once. Rotate home and away between each two teams every year.
6. Each team plays at their home ground for half (9 or 10) of their matches, and away from their home ground for the other half.
7. Finals (including Grand Final) played at the ground of the higher ranking team's choosing (but must be at one of the 'main' regular season grounds)
8. Re-invigorate State of Origin post the main season.
9. Get rid of the gimmicky stuff - AFLX, etc
10. Get rid of free agency compensation
11. Get rid of discounts for F/S, academy bids
12. Have a dedicated AFL streaming service
13. Ban gambling advertising/'information' during games (including breaks), both at grounds, on radio and on telecasts.
14. Lifetime ban for druggy players - get rid of the 3 strikes crap.
What are the housing prices like in NT?

What a ridiculous comment, have you seen how much revenue is created by Chinese for NBA, India basically funds the whole ICC revenue, Japanese & Korean domestic football leagues are some of the most successful in the world. Asians like the rest of the world have access to Fox Sports & ESPN and watch plenty of sport..
A couple of years ago I overheard an Asian lady on the bus talking about AFL with the bus driver
I'm more or so talking about newer migrants of Chinese decent, I know many of them and are good friends with most of them, this comment is based on what I have seen personally, and that is they don't really care much about a heavy contact sport like AFL.
PS your right about the basketball they really get into that.

1. Take away Gold Coast and GWS. Yes, GWS. Once they bottom out they'll never return to their current status and the league will forever be propping it up.
2. Give Tasmania a team
3. Scrap preseason comp.
4. Extend the season. every team plays each other twice, home and away. Mid-week games and earlier season start
5. Increase the list size.
6. Increase the salary cap.
7. TV rights will be renegotiated. More games = more money for clubs and players.
10. Find the best, state of the art goal line technology and buy it.
11. Ban all gambling advertising during games on radio and on TV.
14. Lifetime ban for druggy players - get rid of the 3 strikes crap (pinched this one from above).

1. Work on the fixture knowing that the competition will always be a 22 round season until we have 20 teams. Then go to a 19 round H&A fixture with one round for Derby's, Showdowns, Rivalries etc...Maximum 20 Rounds...
2.Practice games under standard rules with a trial of new rules if need be, no super goals.
3. Use Marvel stadium more often..the stadium needs two or three blockbusters!
4. Make certain Tasmania wear the Bottle Green, Maroon and Yellow..Look closely at WA and SA for another team
5. Friday and Saturday night for blockbusters. Work on attractive football to watch being the key.
6. Encourage TV networks to get more expert commentators who add a bit of pizazz'. Get the Marngrook Footy Show back on air. Get a kids only footy show on air!
7. Fix the VRS with the best possible equipment in the world! No excuses, no expense!
8. Restructure of the MRP. It needs to be a 3 man panel and do away with the frivolous.. let them play, let them bump and grind, just keep the head out of it, increase fines to 5 figures for continual breaches...(Hawkins)
9. If an umpire is having a bad day, interchange him! They have plenty of bad days and get away with it!
10. a) Get rid of 3rd man up rule b) increase distance for a mark to 20 metres c) call play on if kicking backwards, d) resassess the 50 metre penalty e) socks up on every player! Our players look terrible on TV.

Do any Marngrook supporters actually watch Marngrook? Reminds me of politicians who support open borders while living in all-white neighbourhoods themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back