NO TROLLS You’re Not Alone

Remove this Banner Ad

The one thing which helps me most at the moment is a belief that we're nearly through the deepest pits of hell.

I'm not such a stoic of rippling masculinity that I can't acknowledge where I'm at. Things are sh*t. How sh*t? I'm having for 'morning' coffee at 1.30pm. I remain a very, very good looking man, but a veneer of hopelessness overlays my finer qualities and an offensive musk of despair accompanies me.

But the light ahead is visible, and right now I believe in nothing so much as the light.

I have some anxiety about what comes next. The pandemic has upended some long-term plans, and I'm staring down the barrel of being a mid-40s guy on the scrap heap.

And yet I know where we've been, what we've been through, and building a new life has to be a lot more pleasurable than experiencing the old life in lockdown.

Hi JB, I realise that this is a little 'after the fact' but your post resounded with me. Although not as a result of COVID, I found myself in a similar situation to you some years back. I was 47 years old and had developed a reasonable career but the company I worked for was making some bad decisions and I could see the 'writing on the wall'. Although I was relatively successful I was largely an uneducated guy and I knew, that if things went wrong, that I would have a difficult time proving myself again. At the age of 47 I enrolled in a Bachelor of Business and haven't looked back. The education itself was enlightening and despite the fact that my high school years were underwhelming academically and they were a long time ago, I actually really loved the learning. The qualification paid instant dividends and I have not looked back.

University is not for everybody but I highly recommend undertaking some form of study (even a short course) to reinvigorate the mind and soul.

Best wishes...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back