You Am I - Kangaroos Song?

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Davo01
Thanks Shinners, be impressed, be very impressed. :) That was just what I needed to jog my memory. It was indeed a Suglargliders song that I was thinking of and it went something like "Allison, Carey, Longmire, Goal!"

Must have a look around and see if I still have the CD.

Ah, I'm very, very impressed. The song was "Top 40 Sculpture" and the lyric went, "Saturday can still provide some comfort, Laidley, Allison, Carey, Longmire, goal!". I chatted to Josh Meadows and he said that the words came to him as he watched that exact bit of play described by the lyric.

He also mentioned the Roos in another song, "Another Faux Pas In the Cathedral of Love", there's a North jumper in the filmclip to another song they did, and the cartoon Kangaroos crest from the 80s is on the back of the first Steinbecks album.

They also made a remake of the Gary Glitter hit " Rock and Roll", about the Kangaroos at the 2000 Ansett Cup Final vs Essendon

Aussie Roooooooooos, hey!!, Kangarooooos.
Etc....
Good song that

Was just thinking of pregame entertainment we used to have. Anyone remember this? Pretty sure it was a few years earlier than that.

Sugargliders are an excellent band.

Like Shinners, I've had a few post-gig chats with Josh Meadows about his North love. Very nice guy.

Their name came up when we were putting Roosistence together but there was some issue or logistic hiccup of one kind or another.

Here's the song in question....."Top 40 Sculpture"......the "Laidley, Allison, Carey, Longmire, goal!" reference is about 1.35 in.....

Sugargliders are an excellent band.

Like Shinners, I've had a few post-gig chats with Josh Meadows about his North love. Very nice guy.

Their name came up when we were putting Roosistence together but there was some issue or logistic hiccup of one kind or another.

Here's the song in question....."Top 40 Sculpture"......the "Laidley, Allison, Carey, Longmire, goal!" reference is about 1.35 in.....

Wow. Love that. And to hear JYD in a lyric currently is awesome!
Any other North mentions in music that you know of?
Or film for that matter.
I sent that to some non Bigfooty north mates and they also loved it!

Wow. Love that. And to hear JYD in a lyric currently is awesome!
Any other North mentions in music that you know of?
Or film for that matter.
I sent that to some non Bigfooty north mates and they also loved it!

Nice one, D23D.

Can't really think of any others off the top of my head. Have a vague feeling there might be a song by the band Ruck Rover that mentions us, but that could just be me making tenuous Rob Clarkson/North connections in my head. I'll give it some more thought and try to jog the memory.

Film....I'd say there'd be a few out there (particularly in some low-budget local flicks), but not really my specific area of expertise.

Back on music, there's a song by not-great Adelaide rapper entitled 'North Melbourne', but it has sfa to do with the club. Not much to do with the suburb either, truth be told.

There's also a Joni Mitchell song called 'Carey' that sadly isn't about The King. Although she penned it in the early 70's so we'll cut her a little slack there.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice one, D23D.

Can't really think of any others off the top of my head. Have a vague feeling there might be a song by the band Ruck Rover that mentions us, but that could just be me making vague Rob Clarkson/North connections in my head. I'll give it some more thought and try to jog the memory.

Film....I'd say there'd be a few out there (particularly in some low-budget local flicks), but not really my specific area of expertise.

Back on music, there's a song by not-great Adelaide rapper entitled 'North Melbourne', but it has sfa to do with the club. Not much to do with the suburb either, truth be told.

There's also a Joni Mitchell song called 'Carey' that sadly isn't about The King. Although she penned it in the early 70's so we'll cut her a little slack there.
Thanks mate!

Nice one, D23D.

Can't really think of any others off the top of my head. Have a vague feeling there might be a song by the band Ruck Rover that mentions us, but that could just be me making tenuous Rob Clarkson/North connections in my head. I'll give it some more thought and try to jog the memory.

Dean we really have to get Rob Clarkson and yer good self and yer ol' washed up mate here at a game together. I believe you have very compatible senses of humour. Rob's a genius at heckles and enthusiasms. He's up in Sydney these days, still a very, very fine songwriter. Now, what do you think about a duffel coat resurgence? I'm currently gettin two ready for....whenever. They are highly decorous. Best to ya man. Hope you n the mob are braving the stürm with aplomb.

I can hazily recall Tim inserting the club song into the lyrics of songs at live shows, which I must say I loved particularly as those concerts were in Perth.

Dean we really have to get Rob Clarkson and yer good self and yer ol' washed up mate here at a game together. I believe you have very compatible senses of humour. Rob's a genius at heckles and enthusiasms. He's up in Sydney these days, still a very, very fine songwriter. Now, what do you think about a duffel coat resurgence? I'm currently gettin two ready for....whenever. They are highly decorous. Best to ya man. Hope you n the mob are braving the stürm with aplomb.
man, haven't listened to Rob for years. Had my entire CD collection stolen when I moved to Adelaide. Time to have a listen again and check out his newer stuff. Thanks for the reminder.

On the "Saturday night round 10" live album Tim makes a reference to "the team that broke my heart today". I've always assumed they must have been recording on the night of the 98 grand final. Can anyone confirm this to be true?

On the "Saturday night round 10" live album Tim makes a reference to "the team that broke my heart today". I've always assumed they must have been recording on the night of the 98 grand final. Can anyone confirm this to be true?

If l remember rightly as Tim told it he was in Spain or something and not at the game. Vague memory.

Hey Tim!

Yep, approaching both the sturm and the drang with a mixture of pluck and a positive mindset. (Well, that and copious amounts of weed.) Hand-washing rather than the hand-wringing. Hope you and yours are likewise safe and in relatively fine fettle.

When footy and life returns to being footy and life again, that absolutely sounds like a plan. Been a while now. And Rob's an exquisite human being. Definitely up for a game, and definitely up for the duffel coats. Still have my old one from when I was a kid - 'Jim 3 Krakouer' on the back. It's a veritable work of (outsider) art. Little snug these days though, and the unintentional 3/4 sleeves are an issue. I'll have to grab a less snug one and perform a full patchectomy and transplant procedure. Good thing I'm a fully qualified duffel coat surgeon.

"Heckles and enthusiasms".....if some day I ever have cause to get business cards printed up for myself, that's going straight on there.

The album was recorded in July '99, so that'd be a no.

Could have been referring to the Dogs or *essington losses in that month.

Or maybe Tim is a big Washington Generals fan. Not too sure.

The album was recorded in July '99, so that'd be a no.

Could have been referring to the Dogs or *essington losses in that month.

Or maybe Tim is a big Washington Generals fan. Not too sure.
Possibly. Or then again possibly I was just "imagining things" at the time. Anyway, in my world Heavy Heart will always be about that day in 1998.

Thanks mate!

One thing that my memory did get jogged on wrt the North and music discussion.....

Paul Kelly has said that the song below was inspired by the Wayne Carey/Kelli Stevens drama.

He doesn't name names, but distinctly recall reading it somewhere years and years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back