Radio 'You cannot be serious' podcast with Sam Newman, Don Scott and Rod Law

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly think he’s going senile. Complains about the welcome to country and the Winmar saga every single week; and its never a new gripe, always the exact same points which you could just copy and paste from previous episodes. Incredibly tiresome.

And it’s tiresome how he automatically defends all of his mates in his club. Like Clarkson of course, Eddie, Carey (“crushed up antidepressants”, what a load of BS!) anyone in his “circle” accused of doing anything.

Whereas any indigenous player cops it big time.

At the end of the day he just needs to admit he’s racist.

And it’s tiresome how he automatically defends all of his mates in his club. Like Clarkson of course, Eddie, Carey (“crushed up antidepressants”, what a load of BS!) anyone in his “circle” accused of doing anything.

Whereas any indigenous player cops it big time.

At the end of the day he just needs to admit he’s racist.
yes i always thought he came from the perspective of being ignorant rather than racist but he never brings in people who have different views to him to get it discussed, just brings in yes men.

yes i always thought he came from the perspective of being ignorant rather than racist but he never brings in people who have different views to him to get it discussed, just brings in yes men.

Ignorance is no excuse. There’s a mountain of indigenous players in the AFL they could invite onto the podcast and have discussions on issues yet they choose not to.

So deliberate ignorance = racism to me.

His dividing the nation shtick is totally disregarding the feelings of first nation people. What he is basically saying is that he wants everyone to be on the same level field as long as its a white Australia

Love him or loathe him it was Waleed Ali who got it right when talking about Adam Goodes some years ago:

“It’s about the fact that Australia is generally a very tolerant society until its minorities demonstrate that they don’t know their place. And at that moment, the minute someone in a minority position acts as though they’re not a mere supplicant, then we lose our minds. And we say, ‘No, no, you’ve got to get back in your box here’.

“And that’s why Adam Goodes ruffles feathers. It’s not ‘cos he’s controversial, it’s not ‘cos he’s a provocateur, it’s none of that. It’s because he actually says, I’m going to say something…’

“What happens is the minute an Indigenous man stands up and is something other than compliant, the backlash is huge and it is them who are creating division and destroying our culture. And that is ultimately what we boo. We boo our discomfort.”

He went way too far on this podcast. 2 episodes of unloading in Indigenous people and of course defending Clarkson and Fagan which was expected but not this bad. Don was not much better. I would not be surprised if he gets into legal trouble over this one too.
Mr. Newman has always been ultra conservative in his views, usually outspoken and rarely succinct - but he also sometimes verbalizes what a lot of people think.
While 'patronising nonsense' may seem harsh, the reality is how many of the 100,000 at the Grand Final witnessing this pre-game eulogy knew who this 'Uncle Jack' bloke was..?

Mr. Newman has always been ultra conservative in his views, usually outspoken and rarely succinct - but he also sometimes verbalizes what a lot of people think.
While 'patronising nonsense' may seem harsh, the reality is how many of the 100,000 at the Grand Final witnessing this pre-game eulogy knew who this 'Uncle Jack' bloke was..?
Just because he verbalises what a lot of ppl think, it doesnt make it right. He has every right to hold whatever opinion he feels is right but his preaching without seeing both sides is a big turn off and i have been a fan despite being what he would call a woke lefty. I am also very disappointed in Don because it seems Sam has rubbed off on him too.

His dividing the nation shtick is totally disregarding the feelings of first nation people. What he is basically saying is that he wants everyone to be on the same level field as long as its a white Australia

So you would agree with Jacinta Price that it’s rubbish but she probably isn’t the correct type of indigenous person for you.??

Ignorance is no excuse. There’s a mountain of indigenous players in the AFL they could invite onto the podcast and have discussions on issues yet they choose not to.

So deliberate ignorance = racism to me.

I get where you both are coming from. I dont think he's racist, perhaps that he has views and beliefs given the way he's lived his life....anything that causes it to potentially deviate he is not comfortable with. But I can absolutely understand Schneebly11 point that deliberate ignorance = racism.

The dividing the nation reason is interesting for mine, that "they" are trying to divide us. I think division occurs because again people are set in their ways (we all are to a degree in various parts of life), and potential deviation from it is not comfortable. HeathComeBack makes a point that he wants everyone to be on the same level field as long as its a white Australia. I would perhaps remove white and sub in "the way Im used to". For example, the flag debate - we should all unite under one flag (Australian one). But IF it went to a referendum or something of ilk, and the Aust flag lost, i am unsure Sam would accept it.

Dividing the nation is akin to people who were against lockdowns because it was hurting small businesses, then upon reopening disregarded small businesses and went straight to the big orgs.

To be fair to Sam, I was unsure of the relevance of Uncle Jack and AFL football, didn't make much sense to me either.

i did not know who he was. Was he relevant? I dont know. But at days end I wasnt offended by it.

Last edited:

Fair point. I think disputers will say that if we want a contrasting POV there are other podcasts to go to.

one of my fave episodes was with rob gell who debated about climate change. sam was softly spoken that episode and listened. both sides presented their cases really well. it was respectful. i remember thinking at the time i was hopeful that sam unleashed on Rob and call it a hoax etc. but it didnt happen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with you there. He definitely does.

I also think spokespersons from the other side say what plenty of people think as well.

I get where you both are coming from. I dont think he's racist, perhaps that he has views and beliefs given the way he's lived his life....anything that causes it to potentially deviate he is not comfortable with. But I can absolutely understand Schneebly11 point that deliberate ignorance = racism.

The dividing the nation reason is interesting for mine, that "they" are trying to divide us. I think division occurs because again people are set in their ways (we all are to a degree in various parts of life), and potential deviation from it is not comfortable. HeathComeBack makes a point that he wants everyone to be on the same level field as long as its a white Australia. I would perhaps remove white and sub in "the way Im used to". For example, the flag debate - we should all unite under one flag (Australian one). But IF it went to a referendum or something of ilk, and the Aust flag lost, i am unsure Sam would accept it.

Dividing the nation is akin to people who were against lockdowns because it was hurting small businesses, then upon reopening disregarded small businesses and went straight to the big orgs.

i did not know who he was. Was he relevant? I dont know. But at days end I wasnt offended by it.
Nah, I wasn't offended either, nothing offends me, unless it's a direct attack on my loved ones.

Nah, I wasn't offended either, nothing offends me, unless it's a direct attack on my loved ones.
Same here, I could count on one hand the amount of times (aside from prices etc.) I've taken offence to anything - although don't be fooled by 'online personalities' that rarely represent who the same people actually are in real life....:think:

Last edited:
Without getting into a debate surrounding having the WTC before big games, why does he care so much?

It's such a minor thing. I guess pre-game s**t hardly bothers me because I typically don't tune in until the ball is being bounced if I can avoid it, or if I am tuned in, I have music playing, and don't turn the TV up (if at all) until the ball is bounced.

With the way people complain about it you would think there's some Clockwork Orange s**t going on and they're physically restrained and forced to watch it.

Without getting into a debate surrounding having the WTC before big games, why does he care so much?

It's such a minor thing. I guess pre-game s**t hardly bothers me because I typically don't tune in until the ball is being bounced if I can avoid it, or if I am tuned in, I have music playing, and don't turn the TV up (if at all) until the ball is bounced.

With the way people complain about it you would think there's some Clockwork Orange s**t going on and they're physically restrained and forced to watch it.

i think its because as he says "where does this end?".

i think its because as he says "where does this end?".
Idk I don't spend my spare time ruminating on unfounded delusions of a future society where white people are persecuted

Also the National Anthem is infinitely worse than any Welcome to Country. Has to be one of the single worst anthems in the world. 🤢

I also don't mind the WTC announcments, like you I ignore all the pre-match stuff anyway - but my comment in quasi support of Mr. Newman's complaints was the 'Uncle Jack' eulogy at a Grand Final was a bit too much, respectfully of the 100k crowd there be lucky if 1k actually knew who the man was..!

I also don't mind the WTC announcments, like you I ignore all the pre-match stuff anyway - but my comment in quasi support of Mr. Newman's complaints was the 'Uncle Jack' eulogy at a Grand Final was a bit too much, respectfully of the 100k crowd there be lucky if 1k actually knew who the man was..!
We have the colonialist national anthem. Why is including a part of the ceremony which recognises our FN people a bit much?

If the point was do away with both, I still wouldn't necessarily agree but I wouldn't take issue with it.

We have the colonialist national anthem. Why is including a part of the ceremony which recognises our FN people a bit much?

If the point was do away with both, I still wouldn't necessarily agree but I wouldn't take issue with it.
I've no issues with recognising FN people or anyone when appropriate, but a public eulogy for a relatively unknown person who has never played the game pre-match Grand Final, which was primarily undertaken because he was/is indigenous, to me was a bit too much or as Mr. Newman claims just patronizing nonsense...

Last edited:
I've no issues with recognising FN people or anyone when appropriate, but a public eulogy for a relatively unknown person who has never played the game pre-match Grand Final, which was primarily undertaken because he was/is indigenous, to me was a bit too much or as Mr. Newman claims just patronizing nonsense...

Appreciate your thoughts deanc. I can definitely see where you’re coming from.

When Sam says it’s patronising, does that suggest he is looking out for FNP, ie it’s putting them down? Thus he’s concerned for them

Maybe the fact that people didn't know who Uncle Jack is is part of the problem, and part of the reason as to why it was a worthy cause to pay tribute.

He was the 2015 senior Victorian of the year, and this year's NAIDOC week's senior elder of the year.

He's also an amazing story of triumph over adversity.

4 separate games recognised Queen Elizabeth in the pre-game festivities. Uncle Jack is far more worthy of recognition in Australia than she ever was.

In a week where, once again, the poor treatment of First Nations footballers was in the public eye, surely taking a moment to reflect on an Elder's significant contribution to Australian society wasn't too much to ask.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back