You ****ing beauty :D

Remove this Banner Ad

In fact the Crows supporters will tell you that they don't even have to win another game because they have two premierships.

Being at the game last night it was quite surprising how quiet the Crows supporters were once we hit the lead. It appeared that they new it was only a matter of time before we would hit the lead and win and they all went home very quietly!

Originally posted by Scott

It appeared that they new it was only a matter of time before we would hit the lead and win and they all went home very quietly!

Just like Port supporters did at showdown 7 when the Crows came from 42 points down?

Originally posted by sapaul

Just like Port supporters did at showdown 7 when the Crows came from 42 points down?

And like the crows in Showdown 3...and for most of Showdown 1 (until they kicked a few goals in the last quarter) and Showdown 9, and Showdown 8, and Showdown 10 (they certianly shutup for most of the last half until the crows came back again).

Frontrunners of the highest quality

Was even funnier to them all start pouring out the ground at about the 26 minute mark of the last quarter. They still left early when Port werent guaranteed of winning. Shows how much faith they have in their team!

I have been out in Adelaide all day today, and havent seen one COW fan wearing their colours today.
I wonder were there all hiding too. :D :D :D

I see KG was not on the 9 news tonight he must still be sooking, gunna be great listening to all his excuses on the radio tomorrow, then there is that other FARKHEAD Graham Goodings on 7 news cant wait to see his ugly sulking face tomorrow either.
:D :D :D

Originally posted by Portoholic
I have been out in Adelaide all day today, and havent seen one COW fan wearing their colours today.
I wonder were there all hiding too. :D :D :D

I see KG was not on the 9 news tonight he must still be sooking, gunna be great listening to all his excuses on the radio tomorrow, then there is that other FARKHEAD Graham Goodings on 7 news cant wait to see his ugly sulking face tomorrow either.
:D :D :D

You obviously have been on another planet this year too, K.G no longer does Channel 9 news.Hell will freeze over before you see Graeme Goodings sulking.

Originally posted by Porthos
I hope I'm wrong, but whats the bet that next week Schofield gets fully tied up by West Coast taggers next week.

I have no idea why Chad didn't get that mark paid to him.....and the free kicks were definitely evened up in the 3rd for the bull**** in the 1st half.

Fitzgerald never looked confident taking that kick......woohoo!

Check out this article on realfooty.....the last couple of paragraphs are amazing; why would he take that out of the match? Bitter crow supporter maybe?

Stevens is due for a blinder and time for Roger the Dodger to have a better one as well.........plus might not be quite the same given a new coach........

the free kicks were evened up but weren't too many inside the forward 50..........

Mr Shiell has a long term hatred towards anything Port Adelaide......amazes me to see the occassional afl site article by him making it to our pages.........

Originally posted by dreamkillers

Mr Shiell has a long term hatred towards anything Port Adelaide......amazes me to see the occassional afl site article by him making it to our pages.........

You Port supporters are real paranoid about media identities having a hatred of Port aren't you?

You Port supporters are real paranoid about media identities having a hatred of Port aren't you?

Not at all...........read the article and the 2 stupid closing paragraphs.......that article would never be published in a paper.......and contradicts the 2 articles he did for the AFL site.....

Mr Shiell will never forgive Port Adelaide for dominating his side in the 70's, 80's & 90's............:D :D :D ........and we love it.......

Originally posted by dreamkillers

I seem to think Norwood but appears to have a soft spot for the Bays.........if he doesn't follow them.........

I don't know about head to head records but Norwood did win as many premierships as Port did in the 70s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know about head to head records but Norwood did win as many premierships as Port did in the 70s.

my mistake there............but we still have the wool on them since the 70's when they were close to our premiership count and actually had levelled in 75........

at the start of the 70's.....

Norwood were on 22 and are now 27
Port were on 23 now on 36

Mr Sheill must be having a few bad memories as there's now another article on the realfooty site that makes up for his earlier effort........

Port comeback rekindles Magpie memories

By Alan Shiell

This was the type of late, audacious robbery that Port Adelaide - as the old Magpies, not the new Power - used to perform on all of its SANFL opponents, particularly in the big games and, of course, finals and grand finals.

The belated way the Power grabbed an unlikely eight-point win from Adelaide at Football Park on Saturday night evoked a painful sense of deja vu for all those supporters of SANFL clubs who have united behind the Crows to seek revenge against the mean machine from Alberton.

The club's proud, successful history was built on similar great escapes to the one that tormented 75 to 80 per cent of the 49,513 crowd at Showdown XI (Adelaide's "home" game), as well as a bumper, live television audience throughout South Australia.

The Crows should have had the match skun by half-time but their somewhat surprising dominance was not reflected on the scoreboard, partly because the Power was able to stay within reach through its unusually accurate kicking for goal from limited opportunities.

Adelaide's lead was a seemingly unbeatable 28 points two minutes into the third quarter before Port, inspired by the rucking of Barnaby French and the dynamic midfield run and penetration of Jarrad Schofield and Adam Kingsley, mounted a charge that produced an 8.6 to 2.6 revival and the Power's fourth consecutive victory - and a 7-4 lead - in these state-stopping battles that have become the biggest happening in SA sport.

Schofield's statistics were instructive - five kicks and four handpasses in the first half, 14 kicks and six handpasses in the second. Similarly, Kingsley was 5-2 then 7-10 after half-time.

Schofield, 27, is a tougher, much-improved player since joining Port after 63 games for West Coast from 1993-98.

I have just read the first article that Porthos put the link up for and yeah that is pathetic, I hope nobody has any complaints with the 2nd one.I don't know why but I always thought Sheill was a West supporter, maybe I'm thinking of someone else and no not K.G.

Just reading through this thread and I have a couple of observations.

1. Well done Port on a great comeback.
2. I thought it was & great game between two fairly evenly matched sides.
3. Port only just won this game through a few errors by Crows. Missed shots by Fitzgerald & Roo, a couple of times Crows failed to give the ball & got caught, a few passes which were a little astray & let Port in the contest.
4. Given that Port were red-hot favourites and widely tipped as top 4 contenders after winning the Wizard Cup, and they only just scraped in a win over an underdog team widely tipped to finish in the bottom 8, I am a little surprised at the level of gloating going on here here.

So Port fans, a Q for you.

In your view, are Port not as good as you thought they were, or are Crows just about at the same level as Port are supposed to be at (that is, in top 4 contention)?

It just occurred to me over night, but going back to Sheill and what you all say about Kerley, K.G, Cornesy, Goodings and several other Crows supporters you all claim hate Port Adelaide, since when have Port supporters cared or given a toss what other club's supporters say or do anyway?

Originally posted by ok.crows

3. Port only just won this game through a few errors by Crows. Missed shots by Fitzgerald & Roo, a couple of times Crows failed to give the ball & got caught, a few passes which were a little astray & let Port in the contest.
4. Given that Port were red-hot favourites and widely tipped as top 4 contenders after winning the Wizard Cup, and they only just scraped in a win over an underdog team widely tipped to finish in the bottom 8, I am a little surprised at the level of gloating going on here here.

So Port fans, a Q for you.

In your view, are Port not as good as you thought they were, or are Crows just about at the same level as Port are supposed to be at (that is, in top 4 contention)?

If you want to look at how either team is going in terms of form,
you should not use the showdown as a guide.
These are one of games and if you don't lift for them then there is a problem.
Best example is showdown one.At least for us.:D
Would there be any less gloating on your boards had you won?

Originally posted by PAfolwr

If you want to look at how either team is going in terms of form,
you should not use the showdown as a guide.
These are one of games and if you don't lift for them then there is a problem.
Best example is showdown one.At least for us.:D
Would there be any less gloating on your boards had you won?

I don't see why you shouldn't use the head-to-head matches as some sort of indicator of realtive form of the teams form. It is surely a fair bit more relaible than "you only beat Carlton & Saints who are struggling, we at least beat Sydney & Geelong who aren't doing too bad" type of comparisons.

As for the gloating question, no doubt there would have been just as much gloating on Crows board had crows won.

That is not the point though. If Crows had won narrowly, and their fans were gloating, at least there would have been some justification. You know how the pundits had it - Port tipped as a real flag contender, speculation if Crows could even be competitive for a finals spot or not. Had Crows won, gloating (relatively) justified.

Port should have been expected to win this game. If their press was to be believed, they should have romped it in. Should have won easily. Port were red hot favourites in the tipping.

Instead, it was a real contest. The game could easily have gone either way.

Now I wonder if their are any Port fans willing to actually address the question - are Port not that good, or are they actually good but Crows are just about level with them?

I'm curious as to Port fans take on this Q, particularly given the absolutely gloating on this board over a game they should have won easily (if they are as good as the fans think they are).

Port are good and improving.
The Crows are pretty good and improving.
Come years end we will find out the level of improvement.
So far so good so to speak.
Even if most people voted for Port to win it doesn't mean that it implied it would be by 100 points.
It was always going to be a real contest that needed to be won.
My point was that even if one team was to be vastly better then the other it would most probably still be a real contest.
There are many good reasons to win these games.
Two of them are that Brat with the split personality. ;)

I'd agree - Crows fans certainly couldn't have a go at a lack of endeavour on the Crows' part.
Of course, thats pressure football. We could just as easily mention Francou being smothered all the time from centre clearances as a skill error. As for missed shots, I recall we had a couple also.
Crows had better (or at least more clearly assessed) form going into the game. You'd won 3, and been competitive against Essendon. Port had lost two, and had thrashed two teams who are well and truly in the bottom eight.

Coaches' line - Showdowns are special. Every time its a 50/50 game.....Port beat Adelaide in both of their premiership years; the peformance of a side over a period of time has little real relevance to an individual game in itself.

Why gloat? Because its the Crows we've beaten for the fourth time in a row, at a Crows home game to piss off the supporters, going ahead of them (and Essendon :D) on the ladder in the process. Gloatworthy, I'd say.

Essendon and Collingwood are about even on Anzac day matches (Collingwood maybe slightly ahead?) and most of them are only a goal or two in it.

Would you say Collingwood have been as good as Essendon over the last 7 years?

I didn't think we played very well but still managed to win after the camries threw everything at us in the first half.

Last year there was a fair gap between the two teams form, but in the 2nd showdown the camries did pretty much the same thing.

When we start putting 4 quarters together (something we haven't done this year), I think we will be better.

Remember we beat you in both your premiership years, when we didn't make the finals, did not mean we were the better team, just that we got up for the game as we should have.

The underdog is always going to have everything to play for in these games, but on the same token, any win in these games is worth gloating about.

As for missed shots, I recall we had a couple also.

Sure you did but not as many for gettable goals as Crows did.

First half, Port got 6 goals straight.
Second half, Crows got 3 goals six points.

That alone more than accounts for the difference between the teams. It would have taken a correction of only a few cm for Crows to have converted say two of those six points into goals.

That is what Port won it by. Crows errors of a few cm only.

Hardly a resounding victory for a genuine flag contender if Crows are not also to be considered a contender.

Hardly a resounding victory for a genuine flag contender if Crows are not also to be considered a contender.

Which means anyone that gets close to Port, Hawthorn, Essendon or Brisbane is a flag contender (those 4 being the 4 favorites prior to the season).

Which leaves very few teams as not being contenders.

Btw, I don't consider it a resounding victory, it was a good victory considering we were playing crap and were 5 goals down into the 3rd quarter.

I always tipped THE crows to make the finals, so I'm happy to take a win against them.

We also are not flag contenders until we start playing football for 4 quarters week in week out.

thanx

It was the best showdown yet i thought. As for the evenly matched side...well i dont agree with that.

What a crock.
1.Port won the game because they were the better team on the night.
2.They didnt come out to play in teh first half (again) and overrun a suspect-under-pressure Adelaide.
3.Missed shots by Stevens from 10 metres out and Burgoyne from the edge of the square could of made us win by more...not to mention if Schofield kicked the ball longer and higher in the last quarter which could of been a goal (you could analyse these things all week)
4. Gary Ayres coaching was inept to say the last - Schell not getting a go even tho Fitzgerald was thrashed...not giving Bode a run in the third quarter after he killed us in the 2nd to name just two.
5. The umpiring was disgracefully one sided in favour of the Crows and i will gladly type out all the crap decisions (and many non-decisions) that favoured the Crows. Two examples: Marshs 'mark' in the last quarter which he held for about a tenth of a second which ridiculously was paid....resulted in a goal to Goodwin. Nathan Bassett being caught by Brent Guerra after having the ball for about 6 seconds and having a lope around the backlines....if that wasnt holding the ball then they should throw the rule out the book. Not to mention the umpires reluctance to pay incorrect disposal in tackles (is that even a rule anymore)

Gloating?? ok. Next time i see you enjoy a victory ill accuse you of gloating because you beat a side tipped become below you on the ladder. Considering Port have been poorly out of form and have yet to play more than 1 1/2 quarters of good football each game...and the fact we came from 5 goals behind in front of a 97% Crows crowd with the umpires giving the crows 5 goals from free kicks in the first half....i think we did very well to get back in the contest.
Yet again....what have pre season predictions have to do with this game?? You enjoy bringing up useless points dont you!

We are a top 4 side. We are currently 4th at the moment and we still havent played more than a half of good football a match yet. The Crows have played two quality sides this year and lost both.

So far this year a few things have come to notice:
1) Port are a better side than last year. The fact we havent played all that well yet are 4th on the ladder with the 3rd best % shows we are going alright.
2) Port have more depth than last year. A lot more options around the ground. Players like S Burgoyne, Morgan, Lockwood, Thurstans, M Stevens, Cassisi, Hall, K Cornes are all trying to get a game whereas only M Stevens and Cornes looked like getting a game last year.
3)Port dont rely on the same players anymore. Lade is back and playing ok, Hardwick is playing well, Schofield is now our most dominant midfielder, Cornes seems more consistent, Kingsley plays twice as good in the midfield as he does in defence, Bishop has showed he can hold down a key defensive spot.
4) Port have shown they are better under pressure this year than last.
5) The Crows forward line is not as good as the Crows supporters thought it was. Schell has been useless, Fitzgerald hasnt been as good as he could of been and is just as inaccurate as Tredrea
6) Crows are not as good as the other top sides yet. They do have the potential to be however.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back