Work & Education you pick one's spelling and grammar thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just checked up the blurb- looks interesting. Let me know what you think of the book :)

Well, it was an interesting-sounding variation on the post-apocalypse theme, but he didn't really resolve it very well, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you can't get enough of the dystopian stuff. There's lots of it around nowadays, and plenty of it is, I think, better than this one.

Well, it was an interesting-sounding variation on the post-apocalypse theme, but he didn't really resolve it very well, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you can't get enough of the dystopian stuff. There's lots of it around nowadays, and plenty of it is, I think, better than this one.
Thanks, Fred. That was a quick read! I'll put it further back in the line, then. :)

Yep, ripping through the To Read list at the moment, only 4-5000 to go.:D
I just went over and had a look at the BF's top 100 voting thread, where you nominate 20 of your finest.
I picked my top 20, then pulled out my phone and went through the books I've scanned into my book app. I shuffled and changed half of my first Top 20, then grabbed my Visa card, went on my computer, then bought a couple of books.

I don't know why- I have at least 50 unread books in the bookcase next to my bed and a few hundred more that I've bought but not yet read. And there's a few hundred that I've read that I'd love to re-read. Aarrgghh!

I just went over and had a look at the BF's top 100 voting thread, where you nominate 20 of your finest.
I picked my top 20, then pulled out my phone and went through the books I've scanned into my book app. I shuffled and changed half of my first Top 20, then grabbed my Visa card, went on my computer, then bought a couple of books.

I don't know why- I have at least 50 unread books in the bookcase next to my bed and a few hundred more that I've bought but not yet read. And there's a few hundred that I've read that I'd love to re-read. Aarrgghh!

Actually I was going to sling in a list of 20 Australian books. Might do it tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would be your No. 1.? Or is it a surprise for tomorrow?

Please excuse the intrusion, but I'm currently reading the new autobiography of David Walsh. He's the Tasmanian who gambled his way to giving us MONA, and a wierd cat if ever there was one. It's simply unputdownable (so as not to be OT- is that even a word?) even if it has me reaching for my Psychology texts.

Please excuse the intrusion, but I'm currently reading the new autobiography of David Walsh. He's the Tasmanian who gambled his way to giving us MONA, and a wierd cat if ever there was one. It's simply unputdownable (so as not to be OT- is that even a word?) even if it has me reaching for my Psychology texts.
There's no such thing as an intrusion here, Sam :)
That book sounds interesting- I can't believe he almost didn't achieve anything when he put his money on the horse in the Melbourne Cup! :eek: (I just had a sneak peek)

If you'd like to get your top 20 together, post them in this thread-
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/bigfooty-top-book-list-voting-commenced.1085956/#post-36728411

I think voting closes at the end of the month.
And I bet your books are all more highbrow than mine!!

What would be your No. 1.? Or is it a surprise for tomorrow?

You'll have to wait and see. ;)
But if I was doing a "real" list, for any child of the sixties, there can only be one no.1, the immortal Yossarian and Co. in Catch 22.

Sam, if you like reading about gambling, and especially (legal) "stings", you could do worse than the Jack Irish series by Peter Temple, where they are a continuing sub-plot in each book.

Fred, I haven't read Nino Culotta's since I was a teenager! I love his stuff! Almost included "They're a weird mob" but left it off because I really didn't know where to fit it on my list, it's been so long since I'd read it.

Can't recall reading any of Iedriss' books but my brother's a big fan. Also didn't manage to fit any of Geoffrey Blainey's books. :(

I thought of poking the bear by listing all the Geelong books like Mission, From Good to Great, etc. but thought the thread might deteriorate as others added their poor quality and insignificant club books to their Top 20 list. ;)

Fred, I haven't read Nino Culotta's since I was a teenager! I love his stuff! Almost included "They're a weird mob" but left it off because I really didn't know where to fit it on my list, it's been so long since I'd read it.

Can't recall reading any of Iedriss' books but my brother's a big fan. Also didn't manage to fit any of Geoffrey Blainey's books. :(

I thought of poking the bear by listing all the Geelong books like Mission, From Good to Great, etc. but thought the thread might deteriorate as others added their poor quality and insignificant club books to their Top 20 list. ;)

Whoops! Mad keen Geelong barracker, too! :oops:

It was tough picking only 20. Billy Bunter missed out, too. :(

I don't think I could realistically keep it under 100.
You come across a few good ones in 50 or 60 years of serious extensive reading.
My list was, of course, a bit tongue in cheek, but I'd probably still include 3 or 4 of them in my best 100 - perhaps Lower, O'Grady, Mailey (easily the best sports autobiography I ever read), Temple.

I don't think I could realistically keep it under 100.
You come across a few good ones in 50 or 60 years of serious extensive reading.
My list was, of course, a bit tongue in cheek, but I'd probably still include 3 or 4 of them in my best 100 - perhaps Lower, O'Grady, Mailey (easily the best sports autobiography I ever read), Temple.
Too right!
I did pretty much nothing but read in my first quarter century of existence. Even later, when I'd had kids, I'd still make time to read a book for an hour late at night.
Unfortunately, not too many of those early books made it to my top 20- I'd read them too long ago: I left out all of those Agatha Christi books, John Cleary, Robert Ludlum, etc.

I tend to read books in blocks of genres. A few years ago I got stuck into Geoffrey Blainey's books and a lot of other historical books like David Hill's Gold Rush, also Mary Durack books, etc. After that I read some paranormal books and now am back on the Fantasy books, with a smattering of thriller, espionage, etc.

Too right!
I did pretty much nothing but read in my first quarter century of existence. Even later, when I'd had kids, I'd still make time to read a book for an hour late at night.
Unfortunately, not too many of those early books made it to my top 20- I'd read them too long ago: I left out all of those Agatha Christi books, John Cleary, Robert Ludlum, etc.

I tend to read books in blocks of genres. A few years ago I got stuck into Geoffrey Blainey's books and a lot of other historical books like David Hill's Gold Rush, also Mary Durack books, etc. After that I read some paranormal books and now am back on the Fantasy books, with a smattering of thriller, espionage, etc.

Speaking of Geoffrey, how about Geoffrey Robertson: Dreaming too Loud.
I love it when an author rambles from one subject to another.
Roddy Doyle does it with even more hilarious results.
His latest, The Deportees, is brilliant or for a quick read try Two Pints.
The Book depository is my online provider of choice.
So you see Teriyakicat, not so much highbrow but high Irish bollix.

I have absolutely zero time to do lists, thanks to the inordinate amount of boring medical texts
I have to plough through to get to the good stuff. Like Paul Kelly's autobiography last year.

Fred, thanks for the tip, I'll go on a search.
Catch 22 also gave rise to one of the best movies ever!

Speaking of Geoffrey, how about Geoffrey Robertson: Dreaming too Loud.
I love it when an author rambles from one subject to another.
Roddy Doyle does it with even more hilarious results.
His latest, The Deportees, is brilliant or for a quick read try Two Pints.
The Book depository is my online provider of choice.
So you see Teriyakicat, not so much highbrow but high Irish bollix.
So that's why we are friends, Sam? :D

Re Book Suppository, that's where I get 90% of my books, too, but I usually check on www.booko.com.au first because that lists book prices from all online sources (price includes postage) so you can compare prices. Sometimes the BF may not have the book you want and you can get it via AbeBooks, Bookfari, Booktopia, etc- all of which are reliable sites.
Do you buy your medical books online, too?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back