Autopsy **** you very much, season 2019!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember debating with a few over the pre season that the performances were concerning and I always thought we could very easily miss finals but I didn't even come close to seeing us almost come last.

End of the day Hawthorn are currently in 8th and Essendon are 7th. Everyone after Collingwood are s**t really and it won't take much for us to be in the mix again. In saying that hopefully this is the reality check we needed to know that we need to change to move up into the top tier. We weren't a true top 4 team last year even though we and everyone else seemed to think we are.

Christian Salem needs to play up the ground next year and Jayden Hunt needs to learn how to play in defence again.

To me the season has gone like this.
Bad start ok hopefully we can recover and be at least 5-5 by round 10. We were 3-7 then after the Adelaide game I thought well finals are done hopefully we can at least rattle some cages get a few upsets. No couldn't even do that. Not even finish with a win when we were in front with less than 2 minutes. Season has just given nothing absolute nothing. Gawn the sole shining light. There were a few glimpses of positivity, thought Hore has been a good pick up, Bailey Fritsch has shown plenty when actually used properly, if May can stay fit and our backline can actually settle that will automatically fix one problem.

We need to fix our forward line. Not sure what the answer is. Would like to see McDonald and Fritsch working together, Weid needs to show more next year. We desperately need more smalls. We get the ball in there often enough but nobody can convert the chances or even half chances. What has happened to hannan? Maybe Pruess to work on his tank if he can actually just ruck more then we can push Gawn forward that could cause some headaches which it did against North yesterday.

Players need better skills and decision making. Time and time again we either miss an easy target or pick the wrong one or end up not making any decision at all and getting caught under pressure. Obviously we need to recruit better ball users.

Fitness so many games we ended up losing within 4 goals because we look like we can't run out games how can this happen at the elite level. Fitness needs to improve and also play fit players.

Game plan needs to be addressed as pointed out numerous times. It's terrible clearly not effective has exposed our backline which itself has no direction and for gods sake fix our damn stoppages. Not just this year it's been a problem for 3 years. Pretty simple each player needs to be accountable for an opponent and we need to stop getting sucked in leaving the opposition players free on the outside. We look like auskickers out there. Fix these things and we might actually go ok next year.

It’s compounded by previous incarnations of Melbourne but I find the constant uttering of “we’re all hurting, we take responsibility”, and then not backing that up with any sort of performance particularly disappointing from this group. Melbourne are always good at saying the right things but doing sweet * all.

When are the deelistings coming!? Hurry up and Axe some of these spuds.

It will be as early as next week. Players will have exit interviews and would usually find out then.

However, the first list lodgement isn't due until the end of October and some players may stay on the list while trade week, free agency etc. happens.

Remember debating with a few over the pre season that the performances were concerning and I always thought we could very easily miss finals
32703807-1BE7-4DE1-80EA-9AFAD371AD00.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The play that sums up our whole season was yesterday when Harmes held on to the footy for an eternity looking for a handball with no one else running with him and he became so confused that he bombed it into the arse of his opponent, thus registering a crucial inside 50 (which is how to win footy along with contested possession).

And we in turn sue fitness expert Dave Misson and garnish Goodwin's wagers.

I hope that was a deliberate pop at a bloke with a (former) gambling addiction.

9 games the Demons lost while being up or level half way through the 3rd QTR.
RD's 1,6,9,11,15,17,18,19,23.

The two West Coast games and Rd11 against Adelaide were the worst. Just an observation in general and points at leadership.

Out of 22 opportunities we didn't have one properly satisfying performance.

17 of those were losses - so they don't qualify.

3 were wins by under a goal - and I'd strongly argue the Carlton and Gold Coast wins were extremely hollow victories. The Hawks game was a flip of a coin.

2 wins were ok but both were on the back of playing catch up footy. The Freo win was scrappy. ok I might give the Swans game at the start of the year a pass but that's it.

22 weeks and not one performance that showed any signs of a finals side. Not one fluke or anything. *.

Out of 22 opportunities we didn't have one properly satisfying performance.

17 of those were losses - so they don't qualify.

3 were wins by under a goal - and I'd strongly argue the Carlton and Gold Coast wins were extremely hollow victories. The Hawks game was a flip of a coin.

2 wins were ok but both were on the back of playing catch up footy. The Freo win was scrappy. ok I might give the Swans game at the start of the year a pass but that's it.

22 weeks and not one performance that showed any signs of a finals side. Not one fluke or anything. fu**.
We didn't have one really good performance for 4 quarters. Played better in some of our losses than any of our wins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back