Youf/Academy Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sweeeeeet. Crissy Ron and Wazza! Welcome aboard the United academy train.

Now it's indisputable that we have the GOAT academy.
Both were 18 when they signed.

The best way to tell the difference between what is an academy player and what isnt is our two full backs.

Both signed at 17 & 18. Rose with 0 senior appearances went straight into our U18 and then U21 side in his first season. Walker was signed with a handful of senior games at Shef United was also put into out U21 side for his whole first season. Lennon is another one that we wouldn't claim despite being under 18 when we signed him because he had made senior appearances at Leeds and went straight into our first team

Don't see what's wrong with what they said.
Chalobah has been Chelsea's only moderate academy success since Terry and City haven't produced anyone if note since Micah Richards.

Spurs, United, Everton and Southampton (I'm probably forgetting someone else too) produce bucketloads of quality players and yet City and Chelsea are hailed as the gold standard in youth development.
Aren't we 1 and 2 for producing England internationals?

The best way to tell the difference between what is an academy player and what isnt is our two full backs.

Both signed at 17 & 18. Rose with 0 senior appearances went straight into our U18 and then U21 side in his first season. Walker was signed with a handful of senior games at Shef United was also put into out U21 side for his whole first season. Lennon is another one that we wouldn't claim despite being under 18 when we signed him because he had made senior appearances at Leeds and went straight into our first team
I would say your academy has helped develop all three. Whether you can claim them as "an academy player" or not is really only important for league and UEFA rules on home grown players, or pissing contests on who has or hasnt got the best academies.

I would say your academy has helped develop all three. Whether you can claim them as "an academy player" or not is really only important for league and UEFA rules on home grown players, or pissing contests on who has or hasnt got the best academies.
Definitely didn't help Lennon imo. Jol bought him and Routledge and when Routledge busted his foot in the first game of the season Lennon came in and never looked back. Would be a massive stretch claiming that.

Walker was extremely raw when we signed him and he did play in our u21 squad but still it becomes murky if you start claiming those ones as he'd already played senior football elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough on Lennon if he went straight to first team football. But the other two were developed to an extent by your academy.

Maybe not the same as a kid thats been at Spurs all his life, but thats only important if you're trying to win a "my academy is better than yours" contest.

Fair enough on Lennon if he went straight to first team football. But the other two were developed to an extent by your academy.

Maybe not the same as a kid thats been at Spurs all his life, but thats only important if you're trying to win a "my academy is better than yours" contest.
Some sort of pissing contest was not the original context. Simply that the lauded academies may not be as good as it is led to be believed.

again, it needs context.

i think we produce plenty of good footballers who just don't reach the level required for whatever reason. do enough of them go into the senior sides of the academy they're from? probably not. but at the same time as 'clubs aren't doing enough with youth' there's a bombardment of 'clubs aren't doing enough in europe'. it's difficult.

Some sort of pissing contest was not the original context. Simply that the lauded academies may not be as good as it is led to be believed.
I'm not too fussed if people think our academy isnt good. As someone that was a regular watcher of youth games when we were getting a load of players through into our first team (including the likes of Sturridge, Onuoha, Richards, Schmeichel) there really is no comparison between then and now.

Just think that if a player spends time in your academy it's played a role in their development. Whether he's come from another club, or been there since primary school.

I'm not too fussed if people think our academy isnt good. As someone that was a regular watcher of youth games when we were getting a load of players through into our first team (including the likes of Sturridge, Onuoha, Richards, Schmeichel) there really is no comparison between then and now.

Just think that if a player spends time in your academy it's played a role in their development. Whether he's come from another club, or been there since primary school.
are they being written off too early?

i know most thought Harry Kane would be no more than a Championship ST while out on loan for us but they let him get to 20-21 before making any real call on his senior status. Same goes with Ryan Mason who they took an even longer time looking at

Maybe, although I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing for a player to step back to take the next step in his career.

Look at someone like Trippier. Everyone that saw him in the youf said that he would be a player. But we had one of the best RB in the league ahead of him him. So he could have stayed but he never would have got the games he did at Burnley to really push on with his career.

Did we give up on him? Maybe, but I doubt he would have achieved much by staying at the club and waiting for his chance.

He might have to make a similar decision in the near future.

Sometimes I think it's about luck more than anything. Rashford got his chance through injuries at United. I wonder if Kane would have got his chance if Ade was banging them in week in out.

Maybe, although I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing for a player to step back to take the next step in his career.

Look at someone like Trippier. Everyone that saw him in the youf said that he would be a player. But we had one of the best RB in the league ahead of him him. So he could have stayed but he never would have got the games he did at Burnley to really push on with his career.

Did we give up on him? Maybe, but I doubt he would have achieved much by staying at the club and waiting for his chance.

He might have to make a similar decision in the near future.

Sometimes I think it's about luck more than anything. Rashford got his chance through injuries at United. I wonder if Kane would have got his chance if Ade was banging them in week in out.
Makes you wonder if English clubs will start inserting buy back clauses into contracts of youth players they let go.

We did it with the Aussie Luongo when we sold him for 250k we had a 2m buy-back. We actually considered it after the asian cup probably thinking that we could sell him for more than that ourselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back