Youf/Academy Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

England win the under 21's in Toulon. Their first trophy in 22 years.

Nice to see a couple of Chelsea youf dominate with RLC player of the tournament and Baker getting the golden boot. Both scored in the final over France.
Calum Chambers captained the team and was CB in the team of the tournament too, good to see.

it's slow, but clubs in england are finally moving away from the lump it to the biggest kid model that other countries got rid of a fair while ago.

i think too that sometimes clubs get suckered in by the 'look', so to speak. you look at de bruyne and he doesn't look like a star. he's got red hair and his face goes beet red whenever he runs.

Apparently our U18 team next season will be mainly U17's, U21's will be U19's.

Kids 19 and over will go out on loan. Apparently at least two heading out on loan. Apparently two to NAC Breda in a bit over weeks time.

well after the campbell incident, it is understandable.
Not sure Campbell would have a huge impact on the decision.

More the quality of 15-18 age group at the club at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They've got a pretty hard stance on not paying above and beyond for youth prospects. Don't want to give them too much too soon and male them prima donas early on

Now let's hope he accepts.

Now let's hope he accepts.
Apparently the operator of that twitter says he's doubtful that he'll sign the deal offered. You're on the Fighting utensil, yeah? I'm not sure if you follow Windy on twitter but he's said some interesting things about the Edwards offer, suggesting that we'll change the way we normally hand out first and second professional contracts in an effort to keep him but we will do it so it doesn't set a precedent for other young, but not as talented, academy players to hold us to ransom.

It's a tough situation for the club though; we have a very rigid, but fair, method that we use to offer new contracts yet we have a player from a Spurs supporting family that is apparently the highest rated player in the country and one of the highest rated in the world in his age group. He could be earning a lot of money at another club, and has apparently has had no shortage of offers, with his mates at clubs like Chelsea, Man City and West Ham all earning 10 times or even more of what he's currently on, yet it would completely go against our own rules and values to offer that much money to a player of his age.

The good news though is that he's doing pre-season with the first team and Windy says that he'll likely go on the pre-season tours with the first team and may even see some time in the friendlies. Hopefully these things, as well as the fact that we regularly reward players who play and develop well with new contracts (shown by regular new deals being given to to Onomah, Winks, Dier, Alli, Kane etc), will convince him that his future is at Spurs.

Apparently the operator of that twitter says he's doubtful that he'll sign the deal offered. You're on the Fighting utensil, yeah? I'm not sure if you follow Windy on twitter but he's said some interesting things about the Edwards offer, suggesting that we'll change the way we normally hand out first and second professional contracts in an effort to keep him but we will do it so it doesn't set a precedent for other young, but not as talented, academy players to hold us to ransom.

It's a tough situation for the club though; we have a very rigid, but fair, method that we use to offer new contracts yet we have a player from a Spurs supporting family that is apparently the highest rated player in the country and one of the highest rated in the world in his age group. He could be earning a lot of money at another club, and has apparently has had no shortage of offers, with his mates at clubs like Chelsea, Man City and West Ham all earning 10 times or even more of what he's currently on, yet it would completely go against our own rules and values to offer that much money to a player of his age.

The good news though is that he's doing pre-season with the first team and Windy says that he'll likely go on the pre-season tours with the first team and may even see some time in the friendlies. Hopefully these things, as well as the fact that we regularly reward players who play and develop well with new contracts (shown by regular new deals being given to to Onomah, Winks, Dier, Alli, Kane etc), will convince him that his future is at Spurs.
That's how I read it and yes I'm on TFC.

It seems as though they've decided that they don't want to differ from their rigid system and are being pragmatic to not lose what they get the feeling may be the best to come through the academy.

I think it's the right call, you'd hate some oil baron club to come in poach him and then dominate elsewhere. It's rare they offer a first team number to someone so young so if he accepts I'd be inclined to believe he'll be getting minutes next season

That's how I read it and yes I'm on TFC.

It seems as though they've decided that they don't want to differ from their rigid system and are being pragmatic to not lose what they get the feeling may be the best to come through the academy.

I think it's the right call, you'd hate some oil baron club to come in poach him and then dominate elsewhere. It's rare they offer a first team number to someone so young so if he accepts I'd be inclined to believe he'll be getting minutes next season
Someone on Spurs Community who is apparently close to the Edwards family and has had good info on him before has said that he has signed a pro-contract with the club. I doubt the club wwould announce it on social media but if true it's good news.

Unfortunately, apparently we've lost one of our promising 16 year olds who would have been a first year scholar this season in Nya Kirby. He was highly rated by England and the club and made a few U18s appearances last season but apparently he wasn't on a list of signed 1st year academy players that was released by the coach on twitter. Talk is that City, Arsenal, Chelsea and United were interested and may have offered him more money than we would have.

bda78a1f3ef09d129a1c56a7a054d4bb.png

b8a0b87b1dcb72e79d3939431357007c.png

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back