Youf/Academy Thread

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Got to do more with your pathways out of the youth academy. Barely even a championship player in that squad. More playing non league than championship or above
Or maybe they just aren't good enough?

The loan system is actually pretty good at sending them to clubs where they'll play.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Or maybe they just aren't good enough?

The loan system is actually pretty good at sending them to clubs where they'll play.
Think there's something to do with them believing they were better than they are because they won so much at a young age.

Look at any youth cup side and you'll be lucky to find more than two or three that properly break through at senior level.

Chelsea would be happy with that. They'll make some money off load information others. But most of their kids will have a decent career in the game.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Look at any youth cup side and you'll be lucky to find more than two or three that properly break through at senior level.

Chelsea would be happy with that. They'll make some money off load information others. But most of their kids will have a decent career in the game.
United a year later provided Michael Keane, Lingard, Pogba and quite a few championship players. And Arsenal a year earlier Kyle Bartley, Wilshere, Coq & Ozyakup who is at Besiktas.

Some clubs are better at providing a pathway to the top flight than others

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo

Yep. Its a huge step up from being an academy kid to being 'Chelsea quality'. But the kids dont need to be this good to be successful. Its about developing the kids to their best potential no matter what that level is.

Nice to see Christensen leading the way though and showing it is possible. Just need a few more to follow.

United a year later provided Michael Keane, Lingard, Pogba and quite a few championship players. And Arsenal a year earlier Kyle Bartley, Wilshere, Coq & Ozyakup who is at Besiktas.

Some clubs are better at providing a pathway to the top flight than others
Plenty of Chelsea youth finding their way into the top flight. Ake, Chaloboah, Loftus Cheek, Christenson, Abraham, Solanke etc.

And having seen a lot of them over the past few years I reckon we'll be seeing plenty more.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Plenty of Chelsea youth finding their way into the top flight. Ake, Chaloboah, Loftus Cheek, Christenson, Abraham, Solanke etc.

And having seen a lot of them over the past few years I reckon we'll be seeing plenty more.
That's true. Question for chef have there been changes down there since then with approach or staff. Or is it just a better batch of kids?

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
That's true. Question for chef have there been changes down there since then with approach or staff. Or is it just a better batch of kids?

Michael Emenalo becoming Techinal Director in 2010 is probably the single biggest influence.

Apparently he overhauled the academy and thats a huge part of why we are now the best in the land. Sadly hes now at Monaco.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Michael Emenalo becoming Techinal Director in 2010 is probably the single biggest influence.

Apparently he overhauled the academy and thats a huge part of why we are now the best in the land. Sadly hes now at Monaco.
Makes sense why the 2010 kids who achieved similar success to the more recent ones didn't kick on. Some of those 2010 kids were the ones who let off firecrackers at the training base I think I read with a few sacked before turning 18. Most of it is above the shoulders for them to not make it & some of it is the support network around them (family & club)

Chelsea players now are a different type than they were ten years ago imo. Don't know if it has been a conscious change in recruiting or just the way things have turned out.

They've has good technical players for years but they physically dominate teams now as well. Didn't watch them this season but have watched a fair bit before then.

Lots of players ready made for the step up to senior football imo. Wasn't so much the case in the past.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
IMG_20180730_165730.jpg

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Wut? Man United had 28 players play in the PL last year... are they saying that 20 of them are Academy players because I call BS... for starters I can name more than 8 that aren't academy players: Ibrahimovic, De Gea, Rojo, Bailly, Smalling, Jones, Lindelof, Mata, Fellaini, Lukaku...

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Wut? Man United had 28 players play in the PL last year... are they saying that 20 of them are Academy players because I call BS... for starters I can name more than 8 that aren't academy players: Ibrahimovic, De Gea, Rojo, Bailly, Smalling, Jones, Lindelof, Mata, Fellaini, Lukaku...
Graduates that came through the academy, they can either be still at the club, loaned or sold. Not only still at the club.

Back