young key forwards, who will be the best and why long term?

young key forwards, who will be the best and why long term?

• jesse hogon

Votes: 107 36.3%
  • josh schache

Votes: 32 10.8%
  • jonathan patton

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • tom boyd

Votes: 40 13.6%
  • paddy mccartin

Votes: 31 10.5%
  • darcy moore

Votes: 33 11.2%
  • joe daniher

Votes: 44 14.9%

• Total voters

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
i may be biased but i go with schache.
1. best set shot to come through the system in a long while. wont need many chances to kick his goals.
2. elite fitness for young key forward, which shows great dedication to his ambitions.
3. did not just rely on his size advantage to dominate under age opponents, gets to the right spots and is a very good general play kick/handball as well.
4. had a record breaking under 18 championships.
5. wanted to come to the lions to follow in his fathers footsteps, will be happy and highly motivated.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I think it is completely reasonable to claim the best young forward is the guy that hasn't even done an afl preseason yet.
BIG FOOTY is all about assumptions, speculation, opinions and potential outcomes for teams, individuals and player groups. i have asked for a long term opinion that's all, if i was asking as of right now it would obviously be jesse hogan by a long way, though that as well is only my opinion.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I know everyone gets excited about their draft picks at this time of year, but let the kid play a game before he is the best young forward.
as i stated earlier, he is not the best young forward in the game, asking for a speculative opinion. as for let the kid play a game, i hardly think anything we post on BF will have an affect on his performance or increase the pressure on him.

hogon lol

Your ridiculous spelling aside, why has Jeremy Cameron been left off the list? Same age as Patton who you have included. His list of positives takes a steaming dump all over Schache, one of which being he's already proven he is a gun forward.

From the list though it's hogon by quite a margin.

Last edited:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
hogon lol

Your ridiculous spelling aside, why has Jeremy Cameron been left off the list? Same age as Patton who you have included. His list of positives takes a steaming dump all over Schache, one of which being he's already proven he is a gun forward.

From the list though it's hogon by quite a margin.
left jeremy cameron off as i felt he was an already established gun forward, nearly left jesse hogan off as well, if he had played 2 consecutive good seasons i would have. my thread/poll is about young keys with potential to be very good. just a bit of fun to discuss AFL issues that's all. my spelling has never been one of my strong points.
thank you for your contribution to the thread.

Schraderbrau

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
1. best set shot to come through the system in a long while. wont need many chances to kick his goals.
2. elite fitness for young key forward, which shows great dedication to his ambitions.
3. did not just rely on his size advantage to dominate under age opponents, gets to the right spots and is a very good general play kick/handball as well.
5. wanted to come to the lions to follow in his fathers footsteps, will be happy and highly motivated.
1. He's a loafer and will have difficulty with AFL quality defenders.
2. The reason why he dominated the champs was because he was playing in the team that dominated the champs. He now plays for Brisbane.
3. He's just nowhere near as talented as Hogon, Danniher, Boyd, and Patton (excluding injuries). Also a few players you didn't didn't mention like Jeremy Cameron and McCarthy

I rank them as:

1. Cameron
2. Danniher
3. Boyd
4. Hogan
4. Moore=McCarthy
5. Schache
6. Patton
7. McCartin

Last edited:

Masqualero

Club Legend
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Bit early comparing someone who's never played a game before to players who have displayed talent on the big stage. But whatever floats ya boat, mabye in a few years you can bump it and I'll have egg on my face.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Bit early comparing someone who's never played a game before to players who have displayed talent on the big stage. But whatever floats ya boat, mabye in a few years you can bump it and I'll have egg on my face.
see below
BIG FOOTY is all about assumptions, speculation, opinions and potential outcomes for teams, individuals and player groups. i have asked for a long term opinion that's all, if i was asking as of right now it would obviously be jesse hogan by a long way, though that as well is only my opinion.
left jeremy cameron off as i felt he was an already established gun forward, nearly left jesse hogan off as well, if he had played 2 consecutive good seasons i would have. my thread/poll is about young keys with potential to be very good. just a bit of fun to discuss AFL issues that's all. my spelling has never been one of my strong points.
thank you for your contribution to the thread.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Hogan easily the most accomplished so far but Moore has the pedigree. He will develop later and will go past Hogan in a few years.
thanks for your long term opinion of the players listed, i think most posters have been giving an as of now opinion. it is quite possible that any of the players listed could be the best long term, it usually takes a good 4 to 5 years for key forwards to develop. jesse hogan is a rare exception to this rule. if jesse improves steadily over the next 3/4 years he is going to be one hell of a player, but there is no guarantee of that.

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Very happy with McCartin he is a ripper but at this stage Hogan has the runs on the board. Dodged a bullet not getting Boyd he lacks any real intensity at the contest.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
From this list you can't go past Hogan - while physically he doesn't have a heap of development in him (and others could close the gap to some extent on account of this) he's already an imposing figure and a best 22 key forward in almost any side in the competition. With experience he'll add other strings to his bow and that's a scary proposition.

I daresay every club would be very happy with having one of these guys though - I'm certainly rapt to have Boyd. All can be very good key forwards but it's extremely hard to project key forwards into the future as their development curves can be very, very different.

Last edited:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
not 1 vote for jonathan patton, has looked good in the rare times he has got on the field. hope he gets a good injury free run at it so he can show us what he has got.

Back