young key forwards, who will be the best and why long term?

young key forwards, who will be the best and why long term?

• jesse hogon

Votes: 107 36.3%
  • josh schache

Votes: 32 10.8%
  • jonathan patton

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • tom boyd

Votes: 40 13.6%
  • paddy mccartin

Votes: 31 10.5%
  • darcy moore

Votes: 33 11.2%
  • joe daniher

Votes: 44 14.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Was often dropped back to be a spare. Don't really know why, very defensive for a team that was well on top
Thought they may have tried him as a swing while they were doing well in a game, but maybe as a spare man there was some sort of effort to get him to see the game differently as a learning experience.

Thought they may have tried him as a swing while they were doing well in a game, but maybe as a spare man there was some sort of effort to get him to see the game differently as a learning experience.

Probably the latter. I went last night and watched without any allegiance to any team so was able to just watch what was happening without being clouded by excitement or bias.

Paid particular attention to Hogan and he's still got a bit to go. Although I was shouted down for daring mention that (something something tom Boyd lol).

Watching him stop short of a pack when it was clear he wasn't going to be able to mark it instead of going to spoil and being outbodied by Houli two notable occasions.

And that set shot action... Surely can't be comfortable

Hogan will be the constant 70+ a year goal kicker out of the bunch. I think he'll be the best true forward in the league. Moore will be the freak of the bunch IMO, I can see him winning a few off his own boot and bringing some 7+ magic games when he grows into his own and just dominate certain games! His jump and IQ will throw a lot of defenders off. Daniher will be a gun but can see him being able to be stopped pretty easily so he'll have gun weeks and spud weeks.

I'm really liking the look of Moore. Maybe biased, not sure, his old man was a gun and as a consequence, I watch young Darcy a bit hoping he'll be somewhere near as good.

Moore has been really impressive of late. Really exciting player to watch
yep, Moore has looked really impressive for a 2nd year key tall. i have thought McCartin has shown some great glimpses as well.

someone i didn't mention in the poll Peter Wright can really clunk a mark and a pack as well, looks like we have some really good key forward stocks coming through.

i wonder if any would change their vote if given the chance.

1. Joe Daniher
2. Darcy Moore
3. Jesse Hogan
4. Jon Patton
5. Patrick McCartin
6. Josh Schache
7. Tom Boyd

My honest thoughts on a few of these guys.

Hogan

Strengths:
- 1on1 marking
- Tank (Supremely fit)
- Skills below his knees and in traffic
- Competitive animal (When not sooking)
- Versatility, was AA as CHB in u/16s and regularly goes behind the ball. Has even had stints in the middle this year

Weaknesses:
- Attitude (Still has body language problems)
- Goalkicking (Without including OOF kicks he has been on Danihers level this year)
- Doesn't quite have the height of some of the other guys, can still take pack marks through his ability and hunger for the contest but he won't do it as consistently as the 200cm+ guys here

Schache (Honestly haven't seen enough of him to make a qualified judgement)

Patton (See Schache)

Boyd

Strengths:
- Reach and pack marking
- Goalkicking
- The best ruck option of all these guys by a mile

Weaknesses:
- Workrate
- Mobility
- Skills below his knees

McCartin

Strengths:
- Both 1on1 and pack marking
- Leading patterns (Plays true FF better than any of the other guys positionally, at least so far)

Weaknesses:
- Fitness (Mainly due to diabetes)
- One dimensional

Moore

Strengths:
- Athleticism (Both his speed and his leap)
- Goalkicking
- Pack marking

Weaknesses:
- Thin frame, needs to get stronger to truly realize his ability
- Doesn't win a whole lot of the ball from what I've seen, so perhaps like McCartin a bit one dimensional

Daniher

Strengths:
- Athleticism (Like Moore but even better, very quick for his size and a huge leap)
- Field kicking
- Ability to kick goals from 60m

Weaknesses:
- Goalkicking
- Thin frame after 4 years in the system, big question mark if he'll ever put on the size required to be able to hold his own in a 1on1 contest. If not, teams will just restrict his jump at the ball
- Still has the occasional horrible clanger

All in all, a pretty damn good batch of players. One thing I'd say they ALL need to work on is their defensive pressure. Not a single one of these guys puts on significant pressure when his team doesn't have the ball. If Daniher fixes his kicking and puts on some more weight so he isn't a pushover he could honestly be the best of the lot (Unless Hogan also fixes his own kicking and attitude problems, in which case I'd back him to slightly edge out Daniher). Darcy Moore has been very impressive but Daniher and Hogan got double teamed repeatedly this year, don't think that happened to Moore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure those that voted Schache would.
maybe, he was pretty good early in the season but dropped off, he was not injured although rested from the last 3 games of the season. Schache also the only 1st year player in the poll, probably shouldn't have put him in there, a hint of team bias from me.

i was more thinking of the posters who voted for Hogan, early in the thread a lot of the comments were- your kidding Hogan then daylight and similar.
IMO most of the others in the poll have shown some great signs this year.

Hogan

Strengths:
- 1on1 marking
- Tank (Supremely fit)
- Versatility, was AA as CHB in u/16s and regularly goes behind the ball. Has even had stints in the middle this year

Weaknesses:
- Goalkicking (Without including OOF kicks he has been on Danihers level this year)
- Doesn't quite have the height of some of the other guys, can still take pack marks through his ability and hunger for the contest but he won't do it as consistently as the 200cm+ guys here

Patton (See Schache)

Boyd

Strengths:
- Reach and pack marking
- Goalkicking

Weaknesses:
- Workrate
- Mobility
- Skills below his knees

McCartin

Strengths:
- Leading patterns (Plays true FF better than any of the other guys positionally, at least so far)

Weaknesses:
- One dimensional

Moore

Strengths:
- Goalkicking
- Pack marking

Weaknesses:
- Doesn't win a whole lot of the ball from what I've seen, so perhaps like McCartin a bit one dimensional

Daniher

Strengths:
- Athleticism (Like Moore but even better, very quick for his size and a huge leap)
- Field kicking
- Ability to kick goals from 60m

Weaknesses:
- Goalkicking
- Thin frame after 4 years in the system, big question mark if he'll ever put on the size required to be able to hold his own in a 1on1 contest. If not, teams will just restrict his jump at the ball
- Still has the occasional horrible clanger

All in all, a pretty damn good batch of players. One thing I'd say they ALL need to work on is their defensive pressure. Not a single one of these guys puts on significant pressure when his team doesn't have the ball. If Daniher fixes his kicking and puts on some more weight so he isn't a pushover he could honestly be the best of the lot (Unless Hogan also fixes his own kicking and attitude problems, in which case I'd back him to slightly edge out Daniher). Darcy Moore has been very impressive but Daniher and Hogan got double teamed repeatedly this year, don't think that happened to Moore.

Good post, I would argue though Daniher really started to hold his own in the contest in the 2nd half of the season, He rarely got man handled and even started to out body some defenders, His next 12 months should really start to show us his leap from skinny kid to man. I'd also add leadership to his strength list could easily see him captain the club.

I'm surprised so much has been read into his season.

Too many have thrown the baby out with the bathwater.
Just unrealistic expectations on a kid really

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Hogan has an apparently poor season, but still statistically outplayed every other young KPF comfortably.
Hang on COMFORTABLY OUTPLAYED!!- Statements like this have a habit of becoming fact on Bigfooty.
Daniher kicked more goals (average per game the same) and averaged more contested marks. Hogan slightly ahead on average marks and disposals but very similar statistically.

Hang on COMFORTABLY OUTPLAYED!!- Statements like this have a habit of becoming fact on Bigfooty.
Daniher kicked more goals (average per game the same) and averaged more contested marks. Hogan slightly ahead on average marks and disposals but very similar statistically.
upload_2016-9-7_15-15-25.png

Avg. Contested marks is the only really relevant stat Daniher bettered Hogan in.

Maybe my wording wasn't the best. The point I was making is Hogan has largely been labelled disappointing this year, while the other forwards around his age have been applauded for coming along nicely, yet Hogan statistically had a better season than all of the other KPF

Hogan

Strengths:
- 1on1 marking
- Tank (Supremely fit)

Weaknesses:

Patton (See Schache)

Boyd

Strengths:
- Reach and pack marking

- Goalkicking

Weaknesses:
- Workrate
- Mobility
- Skills below his knees

McCartin

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
- One dimensional

Moore

Strengths:
- Goalkicking
- Pack marking

Weaknesses:

Really????
Otherwise great post.

Personally I would rate them;

Hogan
Daniher
McCartin
Moore
Schache
Patton
Boyd

Couldn't really split Paddy and Moore, but having seen more of Paddy and being bias went him 3rd.
I'd be stoked with any of them except Boyd to be honest, as he is essentially being groomed to be a ruckman now anyway.

Back