young key forwards, who will be the best and why long term?

young key forwards, who will be the best and why long term?

• jesse hogon

Votes: 107 36.3%
  • josh schache

Votes: 32 10.8%
  • jonathan patton

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • tom boyd

Votes: 40 13.6%
  • paddy mccartin

Votes: 31 10.5%
  • darcy moore

Votes: 33 11.2%
  • joe daniher

Votes: 44 14.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

My honest thoughts on a few of these guys.

Hogan

Strengths:
- 1on1 marking
- Tank (Supremely fit)
- Skills below his knees and in traffic
- Competitive animal (When not sooking)
- Versatility, was AA as CHB in u/16s and regularly goes behind the ball. Has even had stints in the middle this year

Weaknesses:
- Attitude (Still has body language problems)
- Goalkicking (Without including OOF kicks he has been on Danihers level this year)
- Doesn't quite have the height of some of the other guys, can still take pack marks through his ability and hunger for the contest but he won't do it as consistently as the 200cm+ guys here

Schache (Honestly haven't seen enough of him to make a qualified judgement)

Patton (See Schache)

Boyd

Strengths:
- Reach and pack marking
- Goalkicking
- The best ruck option of all these guys by a mile

Weaknesses:
- Workrate
- Mobility
- Skills below his knees

McCartin

Strengths:
- Both 1on1 and pack marking
- Leading patterns (Plays true FF better than any of the other guys positionally, at least so far)

Weaknesses:
- Fitness (Mainly due to diabetes)
- One dimensional

Moore

Strengths:
- Athleticism (Both his speed and his leap)
- Goalkicking
- Pack marking

Weaknesses:
- Thin frame, needs to get stronger to truly realize his ability
- Doesn't win a whole lot of the ball from what I've seen, so perhaps like McCartin a bit one dimensional

Daniher

Strengths:
- Athleticism (Like Moore but even better, very quick for his size and a huge leap)
- Field kicking
- Ability to kick goals from 60m

Weaknesses:
- Goalkicking
- Thin frame after 4 years in the system, big question mark if he'll ever put on the size required to be able to hold his own in a 1on1 contest. If not, teams will just restrict his jump at the ball
- Still has the occasional horrible clanger

All in all, a pretty damn good batch of players. One thing I'd say they ALL need to work on is their defensive pressure. Not a single one of these guys puts on significant pressure when his team doesn't have the ball. If Daniher fixes his kicking and puts on some more weight so he isn't a pushover he could honestly be the best of the lot (Unless Hogan also fixes his own kicking and attitude problems, in which case I'd back him to slightly edge out Daniher). Darcy Moore has been very impressive but Daniher and Hogan got double teamed repeatedly this year, don't think that happened to Moore.
Great Post and pretty much agree with everything there..
I'd say another strength of Paddy's is his Field Kicking. Although he can miss some easier shots in front of goal, he is actually a very good field kick

Darcy Moore will, if he is injury free, tear the competiton a new one next year and he may just be the saviour that Buckley needs.

I think Hogan has the potential to be the best.

Daniher is nearing on elite in the marking catagory. And his really improved his work around the ground, crazy mobility for big guy, but unless he fixes his goalkicking I don't think he will be the best out of them. He has the capabilities though. He will kick many 65+ meter goals over his career.

I also think Moore will be a great forward. Great kick and mobility, just needs some size.

McCartin probably the best out of Boyd, Patton and himself for mine. Early days though. These types take long to come on.

Good post, I would argue though Daniher really started to hold his own in the contest in the 2nd half of the season, He rarely got man handled and even started to out body some defenders, His next 12 months should really start to show us his leap from skinny kid to man. I'd also add leadership to his strength list could easily see him captain the club.

I'll take your word for it, just saw him lose his feet way too often this year.

I'll take your word for it, just saw him lose his feet way too often this year.
Not in the 2nd half of the year for me. His game against Talia was exceptional in a side that got hammered, He really buried Talia that night. Didn't let him dictate the contest and kept him moving. Daniher will never be a player that continually out muscles his opponent like Hawkins but he will be very hard to oitmark going forward IMO.

FWIW Hogan and Daniher would be the perfect Combo if they figured out their kicking. :)

Not in the 2nd half of the year for me. His game against Talia was exceptional in a side that got hammered, He really buried Talia that night. Didn't let him dictate the contest and kept him moving. Daniher will never be a player that continually out muscles his opponent like Hawkins but he will be very hard to oitmark going forward IMO.

FWIW Hogan and Daniher would be the perfect Combo if they figured out their kicking. :)

Yeah that is definitely his biggest strength, his movement for a 201cm guy is incredible. He'd probably be the quickest out of this bunch, only reason I'd take Hogan at ground level over him is a stronger body and Jesses handballing/decision making is freakish, he could honestly play part time midfield like Roughhead does.

Yeah that is definitely his biggest strength, his movement for a 201cm guy is incredible. He'd probably be the quickest out of this bunch, only reason I'd take Hogan at ground level over him is a stronger body and Jesses handballing/decision making is freakish, he could honestly play part time midfield like Roughhead does.

Daniher moves around the ground really well, the positive for Daniher is the 60m+ goals he can kick, he has a massive kick much like buddy has.

Daniher moves around the ground really well, the positive for Daniher is the 60m+ goals he can kick, he has a massive kick much like buddy has.

And his ability to deliver the ball to a leading forward is excellent. He regularly creates scores by taking a big mark on the lead and wheeling around and putting it on a forwards chest 60m away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cameron kicked 60 in his second year. He is a freak. Hogan is great but not as great as Jeremy Cameron.

Old news, he kicked 60 predominately being the last man in the chain of a slingshot game plan. He has failed to show anything consistent in a properly structured forward line.

Tom Boyd may have changed a few minds today, should have got the Norm Smith IMO.

Wasn't it great to see, I was talking to mate during the week and we spoke about how awesome it would be if Boyd played an awesome game.
I love when kids like him cop crap and then from nowhere kick ass.

I hope this final series really kick starts his career.

He's 23 and has kicked 236 goals.... Enough said

He is a good player no doubt, but struggles to play within a structure. Despite his ripper 3rd quarter in the quarter final, his prelim performance cost his team a probable premiership. He isnt the complete package he has long been proported to be.

Back